Memphis Eve Sunny Day Iris Hewson
7 July 1991
Her first major role was in the 2011 drama film This Must Be the Place, and she made her television debut as Nurse Lucy Elkins in the 2014 Steven Soderbergh series The Knick. She has appeared in films such as Blood Ties (2013), Bridge of Spies (2015), and Robin Hood (2018). In 2020, she starred in the miniseries The Luminaries. In 2021, she starred as Adele in the Netflix miniseries Behind Her Eyes.
Hewson was born in Dublin, the second daughter of activist Ali Hewson (née Alison Stewart) and U2 lead singer Bono (Paul David Hewson). Her name is derived from her time and date of birth (7 am on 7 July), as "eve" is the middle of the word "seven". She has an older sister, Jordan, and two younger brothers, Elijah and John. She was educated at the Dalkey School Project and St. Andrew's College in Dublin and New York University. The U2 song "Kite" was inspired by a moment when Bono took a kite up on Killiney Hill with Hewson and her sister, but the kite blew off and smashed.
Although Hewson's parents were against her performing, she made her acting debut in 2005 alongside her sister Jordan in the short film Lost and Found. She made her feature-length debut in 2008 in The 27 Club. The same year, Hewson took part in an acting programme at the New York Film Academy. In 2010, she appeared in the music video and accompanying short film for Irish band The Script's song "For the First Time".
She portrayed Yvonne in the 2013 thriller film Blood Ties. In July 2013, Jack Quaid of The Hunger Games and Hewson asked fans to help them fund a new film called Roadies using crowdsourcing. In September of that year, she appeared in the romantic comedy film Enough Said as the daughter of James Gandolfini's character Albert. In November 2013, she was nominated for the Tatler Irish Woman of the Year Award for her work in films.
In 2020, she starred as Anna Wetherell in the drama The Luminaries. Broadcast on BBC One in June, it was based on Eleanor Catton's 2013 novel, set in New Zealand during the gold rush of 1866, and also starred French actress Eva Green. She plays Anna Wetherell, a young woman who migrates to the country's South Island and is soon trafficked into the sex trade.
Hewson lives in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. She received her degree from New York University on 22 May 2013; her father, Bono, declined an honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters from NYU on the same day.
She has stated: "I don't get handed money—and I never will. I have to work!", and "I get called Memphis Eve, but my first name is Eve. I know Memphis is in there somewhere, but on my passport I'm Eve Sunny Day Hewson".
|2005||Lost and Found||Credited as Brenda M. Stankard|
|2008||Jorma's Blind Date||The Blind Date||Credited as Eve Hewson|
|The 27 Club||Stella|
|2011||This Must Be the Place||Mary|
|2015||Bridge of Spies||Carol Donovan|
|2018||Paper Year||Franny Nightingale|
|Robin Hood||Maid Marian|
|2019||The True Adventures of Wolfboy||Rose|
|2014–15||The Knick||Lucy Elkins||20 episodes|
|2021||Behind Her Eyes||Adele|
|2010||The Script||"For the First Time"||Della|
- "'Behind Her Eyes' Star Eve Hewson Almost Gave Up Acting". NBCUniversal Television (which produces and distributes The Kelly Clarkson Show). 2 March 2021. Retrieved 3 March 2021.
- Edge, Adam Clayton; Larry Mullen Jr. (9 October 2007). U2 by U2. HarperCollins. ISBN 978-0-06-077674-9.
- "All About Eve Hewson". Belfast Telegraph. 13 June 2011. Retrieved 21 December 2012.
- Chrissie Russell (10 March 2012). "Eve Hewson". independent.ie. Retrieved 28 April 2013.
- "The 27 Club, Meet the Filmmakers, Erica Dunton, Writer and Director". the27clubmovie.com. 2010. Retrieved 22 April 2013.
- "Bono's daughter stars in Script video - RTÉ Ten". rte.ie. 2013. Archived from the original on 26 October 2012. Retrieved 22 April 2013.
- MICHELLE K SMITH (2013). "Eve Hewson talks about growing up with Bono's fame - U2 frontman's daughter can spot fakers | Irish Entertainment | IrishCentral". irishcentral.com. Retrieved 22 April 2013.
- "Jack Quaid And Eve Hewson Need Fan Funding for New Movie". femalefirst.co.uk. 2013. Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- Wright, Shauna (2013). "Bono's Daughter Stars in Acclaimed New Movie". ultimateclassicrock.com. Retrieved 19 September 2013.
- Rabbitte, Eimear (7 November 2013). "Who are Ireland's women of the year?". independent.ie. Retrieved 7 November 2013.
Irish Woman of the Year
- RTT Staff Writer (2013). "Bono Has An Up-and-Coming Actress Daughter". rttnews.com. Archived from the original on 4 October 2013. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
Hewson will also star in Steven Soderbergh's upcoming TV drama The Knick.
- "Taron Egerton revealed as Robin Hood in first teaser" – via www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk.
- Clarke, Stewart (8 August 2019). "Netflix's 'Behind Her Eyes,' From 'The Crown' Producers, Sets Cast". Variety. Retrieved 8 August 2019.
- Eva Green & Eve Hewson On Why ‘The Luminaries’ Is Like A Western With Complex Female Leads, Jake Kanter, 18 June 2020, Yahoo Entertainment
- Danaher, Patricia (6 December 2015). "Bono's daughter Eve Hewson: 'I don't shy away from telling Dad what I think' - Independent.ie". Independent.ie. Retrieved 29 September 2018.
- Mulkerrins, Jane. "Bono's daughter Eve Hewson: 'My parents are way more fun than me'", The Daily Telegraph, 15 November 2015. Accessed 8 February 2019. " Eve lives in the hipster hotbed of Williamsburg, around the corner from sister Jordan, who is involved with a tech start-up firm."
- "Bono turns down honorary degree from daughter's college". Express.co.uk. Express Newspapers. 15 May 2013. Retrieved 29 September 2018.
- "Eve Hewson". IMDb. Retrieved 28 May 2021.
- "Is Eve Hewson married? The Luminaries star and Bono's daughter". Entertainmentdaily.co.uk. 22 June 2020. Retrieved 29 October 2020.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Eve Hewson.|