Miss Earth 2001
|Miss Earth 2001|
Catharina Svensson, Miss Earth 2001
|Date||28 October 2001|
|Presenters||Emma Suwannarat, Jaime Garchitorena, Asha Gill|
|Venue||University of the Philippines Theater, Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines|
|Broadcaster||RPN Channel 9, The Filipino Channel, Star World|
|Debuts||Argentina, Australia, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Croatia, Denmark, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, Gibraltar, Guatemala, Hungary, India, Italy, Japan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Latvia, Lebanon, Malaysia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Panama, Peru, Philippines, Puerto Rico, Russia, Singapore, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Turkey, United States, Venezuela, Zanzibar|
Misuzu Hirayama |
|Best National Costume||
Shamita Singha |
Daniela Stucan |
Miss Earth 2001 the first edition of Miss Earth pageant, organized by Carousel Productions. The pageant coronation night was held on 28 October 2001 at the University of the Philippines Theater in Quezon City, Philippines. There were 42 delegates who competed in the pageant that focuses on environmental issues. Catharina Svensson of Denmark, a professional equestrienne, fashion model, and third year law student, was crowned as the pageant's first winner.
Miss Earth was formally launched in a press conference on April 3, 2001 along with the search of Miss Philippines to represent Philippines in the international competition. Likewise, the pageant tied up with the Philippine government agencies such as the Philippine Department of Tourism (DoT), Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR), the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA), and at least two international environmental groups such as the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the American Global Release to further its environmental advocacy.
|Miss Earth 2001|
|Miss Earth - Wind 2001||
|Miss Earth - Water 2001|
|Miss Earth - Fire 2001|
|Miss Friendship||Japan - Misuzu Hirayama|
|Miss Photogenic||Argentina - Daniela Stucan|
|Miss Talent||Latvia - Jelena Keirane|
|Best in Swimsuit||Kazakhstan - Margarita Kravtsova|
|Best in Long Gown||Philippines - Carlene Aguilar|
|Best National Costume||India - Shamita Singha|
Final Question in Miss Earth 2001: "Technology makes life very convenient but it is also being blamed for certain environmental problems. How do you propose to find a balance between technology and Earth preservation?"
Answer of Miss Earth 2001: "Well, of course technology does make a lot of problems for us in the environment. But we can do something to make it better. For example in Denmark, we do a lot of farming and we use a lot of technology to make it easier for us. But that also means that we use a lot of chemicals that spread and go down to a ground water and makes the ground water worse. So what we can do and what we are doing at the moment is to try to make a regulations on what chemicals are allowed to be used and also thereby make controls of it so we can use those chemicals less." - Catharina Svensson, represented Denmark.
The pageant was hosted by Channel V VJ Asha Gill, former Thai beauty queen and actress Emma Suwanalat, and former singer/actor now businessman Jaime Garchitorena. It was aired on RPN Channel 9, Star World TV, and also televised the show in 35 other countries in November 2001.
- Argentina - Daniela Stucan
- Australia - Christy Anderson
- Bolivia - Catherine Villarroel
- Brazil - Simone Régis
- Canada - Michelle Carrie Lillian Weswaldi
- Colombia - Natalia Botero Argote
- Croatia - Ivana Galesic
- Denmark - Catharina Svensson
- Dominican Republic - Catherine Núñez
- El Salvador - Grace Marie Zabaneh Menéndez
- Estonia - Evelyn Mikomägi
- Ethiopia - Nardos Tiluhan Wondemu
- Finland - Martina Kortelampi
- Gibraltar - Charlene Ann Figueras
- Guatemala - Carmina Elizabeth Paz Hernández
- Hungary - Krisztina Kovacs
- India - Shamita Singha
- Italy - Monica Rosetti
- Japan - Misuzu Hirayama
- Kazakhstan - Margarita Kravtsova
- Kenya - Aqua Bonsu
- Latvia - Jelena Keirane
- Lebanon - Adelle Raymond Boustany
- Malaysia - Joey Tan Eng Li
- Netherlands - Jamie-Lee Huisman
- New Zealand - Abbey Flynn
- Nicaragua - Karla José Leclair Monzón
- Panama - Aliana Khan
- Peru - Paola Barreda Benavides
- Philippines - Carlene Aguilar
- Puerto Rico - Amaricelys Reyes Guzmán
- Russia - Victoria Bonya
- Singapore - Calista Ng Poh Li
- South Africa - Inecke van der Westhuizen
- Spain - Noemi Caldas Ortiz
- Taiwan - Hsiu Chao-Yun
- Tanzania - Hilda Bukozo
- Thailand - Victoria Wachholz
- Turkey - Gozde Bahadir
- USA - Abigail Royce
- Venezuela - Lirigmel Ramos
- Zanzibar - Sheena Nanty
Contestants who previously competed at other international beauty pageants or are expected to:
- Brizuela, Jayson B. (2001-10-19). "Our planet is so Beautiful, so is Miss Earth: 42 women form around the world vie for the title". Manila Standard Publishing Corporation. Retrieved 2010-01-07.
- "Miss Tierra vive su fase final". El Deber. 25 October 2001. Archived from the original on 29 October 2013. Retrieved 11 June 2011.
- High Beam News, Online (2001-11-08). "Danish law student is Miss Earth". Filipino Reporter. Retrieved 2008-01-07.
- Palmero, Paul (2005-06-18). "Pageant History". Pageant Almanac. Archived from the original on 2008-12-12. Retrieved 2008-01-07.
- Lo, Ricardo F. (27 October 2001). "In fairness to Sherilyn". The Philippine Star. Retrieved 11 June 2011.
- West, Donald (2007-12-18). "Miss Earth History". Pageantopolis. Archived from the original on 2007-12-16. Retrieved 2008-01-07.
- Barawid, Rachel (2001-10-30). "Danish student wins 1st Miss Earth title". Manila Bulletin. Retrieved 2009-01-03.
- Lo, Ricardo F. (2001-04-03). "Two new RP Beauty Contests Coming Up". Philippine Headline News/Philippine Star. Retrieved 2008-01-07.
- Xinhua News, Online (2001-08-29). "Philippines to Host Miss Earth 2001 Beauty Contest". Xinhua News Agency. Retrieved 2008-01-07.
- Barawid, Rachel Castro (2001-10-11). "35 beauties vying for Miss Earth title". Manila Bulletin. Retrieved 2008-01-07.
- Soul, John (2001-10-28). "Miss Earth 2001". Woman of the Earth News. Archived from the original on 2010-04-05. Retrieved 2009-12-27.
- Castro Barawid, Rachel (12 October 2001). "35 beauties vying for Miss Earth". Manila Bulletin. Retrieved 12 June 2011.