|Directed by||Sridhar Rangayan|
|Produced by||Sridhar Rangayan|
Mohammed Shaik Hussain Ali
|Written by||Sridhar Rangayan|
Ananth Narayan Mahadevan
|Music by||Song: Shubha Mudgal |
Background Score: Suresh Iyer
|Edited by||Pravin Angre|
Evening Shadows is a 2018 Indian Hindi-language drama film directed by Sridhar Rangayan. The film stars Mona Ambegaonkar, Ananth Narayan Mahadevan, Devansh Doshi, Arpit Chaudhary, Yamini Singh, Abhay Kulkarni, Veena Nair, Kala Ramnathan, Disha Thakur, Sushant Divgikar and Faredoon Bhujwala.
It has won 16 international Awards and has become a success in international film festival circuit with selection in 55 international film festivals.
The film had a limited theatrical release in India beginning January 11th 2019. It was released in PVR Cinemas in Mumbai, New Delhi, Kolkata, Bangalore, Hyderabad and Nagpur.
The film received impressive critical reviews with an average of 2.5 rating out of 5, with reviewers mentioning the film to be "a vivid portrayal of a coming out story that's as warm as it is raw and complex" and "this one deserves to be watched and supported for its context and space".
In a small town in Southern India that lives within a cocoon of traditions and social morality, when a young gay man Kartik (Devansh Doshi), comes out to his mother Vasudha (Mona Ambegaonkar), her entire world comes crashing down. She has no one to turn to dispel her fears and doubts, to understand her loving son’s truth. Moreover as a woman, trapped within a patriarchal conservative society, her biggest challenge is to deal with her dogmatic husband Damodar (Ananth Mahadevan), and the conservative society around her. ‘Evening Shadows’ is a universal story about a mother-son bonding and its emotional strength to withstand the ravages of time and harsh realities.
- Mona Ambegaonkar as Vasudha
- Ananth Narayan Mahadevan as Damodar
- Devansh Doshi as Kartik
- Arpit Chaudhary as Aman
- Yamini Singh as Sarita
- Disha Thakur as Neela
- Abhay Kulkarni as Ramesh
- Veena Nair as Lata
- Sushant Divgikar as Sushant
- Faredoon Bhujwala as Shehzad
The script of the film was written in 2009, and some part of production money was raised through crowdfunding by the production company Solaris Pictures. The shooting of the film was carried out in Nov-Dec 2016 in and around Mysore, Karnataka. The film features very scenic locations like Balmuri, Karigatta, Srirangapatna and several archaeological sites at Talkad.
The post production of the film Evening Shadows was completed by end of 2017. In a landmark decision, the CBFC Central Board for Film Certification gave the film Evening Shadows a UA certificate in December 2017.
Evening Shadows was first premiered on Feb 25, 2018 at Mardi Gras Film Festival in Sydney to sold out show. Director Sridhar Rangayan, lead actress Mona Ambegaonkar, actress Kala Ramnathan and co-producer Maulik Thakkar attended the world premiere. The film had its Indian Premiere at the Bengaluru International Film Festival on March 1, 2018. It was the Opening Film at the Lonavala International Film Festival on Sept 7, 2018, a day after the Supreme Court verdict on Sec 377.
Eminent actress Shabana Azmi watched the film Evening Shadows at the Lonavala International Film Festival on September 7, 2018 at Trios Plaza theater and said, ""I feel that all families, especially in our country, should see this film. I hope that a big studio, or a big producer will embrace this film and presents it. I strongly feel that this film will run, it will be successful at the box office. I have full trust that this film will be a hit." She also said she will try to help in mainstream release of the film.
The film Evening Shadows features one song Surmaee Shaam composed and sung by legendary classical musician Shubha Mudgal. The lyrics are written by Saagar Gupta and the music arrangement is by Shantanu Nandan Herlekar. The soundtrack has been released on platforms like Saavn, iTunes etc.
10% of the money raised through crowdfunding on Wishberry is donated by Solaris Pictures to facilitate formation of a support group for parents of LGBTQ children in India. on the lines of PFLAG groups in USA, the parent support group in India was formed as Sweeekar - The Rainbow Parents The group now has around 50 parents (mothers and fathers) of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender children. They have taken part in workshops, marched in pride walks and also have been speakers at panel discussions at events like KASHISH Mumbai International Queer Film Festival.
- Honour Prize at Zinegoak film festival, Bilbao
- Best Narrative Feature at Chicago South Asian Film Festival
- Audience Choice Award at Caleidoscope Indian Film Festival, Boston
- Audience Award for Best Feature at Outreels, Cincinnati
- Best International Feature audience award at Out On Film, Atlanta
- Best Performance in a Supporting Role at Out At The Movies, Winston-Salem
- Best Performance in a Supporting Role at Rainbow Umbrella Film Festival, London
- Best Performance (Special Mention) at OMovies, Naples
- Vincenzo Ruggiero award at OMovies, Naples
- Best Foreign Film at Rainbow Umbrella Film Festival, London
- Jury Award for Best Men's Feature at North Carolina Gay & Lesbian Film Festival
- Best LGBTQ Film award at Lifft India Filmotsav-World Cine Fest, Lonavla
- Hope Award at Caleidoscope Indian Film Festival, Boston
- Interfaith Discernment Award at Kansas International Film Festival
- ‘Celebration of Courage’ award at OUT HERE NOW: Kansas City LGBT Film Festival
- 'Free To Be Me' award at Roze Filmdagen, Amsterdam
- "With Section 377 scrapped, films on same-sex love get a shot in the arm". National Herald.
- "Evening Shadows is a vivid portrayal of a coming out story that's as warm as it is raw and complex". Showsha.com.
- "Rainbow over the agraharam". DNA.
- Sruthi Ganapathy Raman (Jan 10, 2019). "'Evening Shadows' preview: 'When you come out of the closet, you push your parent into a closet'". Scroll.in.
- Yogesh Pawar (Nov 19, 2016). "Crowdfunding for gay film on parental acceptance". DNA.
- "Gay drama gets child-friendly movie rating in India". Gay Star News.
- "Evening Shadows World Premiere". Box Office India.
- "Hindi queer movie makes great strides overseas". DNA.
- "Evening Shadows, directed by Sridhar Rangayan, bags award at North Carolina LGBTQ film festival". Firstpost.com.
- "'Evening Shadows' Wins Top Award at Chicago South Asian Film Festival". Indiawest.com.
- "An Indian coming out story to conclude Kashish film festival". Dnaindia.com.
- "Shabana Azmi says 'Evening Shadows' should be seen by every family". SantaBanta.com.
- "Shabana to help Evening Shadows get a commercial release". Asian Age.
- "Shubha Mudgal croons 'Surmaae Shaam' for a feature film". Radioandmusic.com.
- "Parents of LGBTQ offer online support". DNA.
- "Parents of LGBTQ community members are 'coming out', with a little help from Sweekar". The Hindu.
- "Rainbow over the agraharam". DNA.
- "'Evening Shadows' feature film bags 13 International Awards in 2018". The Daily Eye.