||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (April 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
McGill at the 2017 San Diego Comic-Con
|Born||Charles Everett McGill III
October 21, 1945
Miami Beach, Florida, U.S.
|Years active||1972–1999; 2015|
Everett McGill (born Charles Everett McGill III, October 21, 1945) is an American actor, who first rose to prominence for his portrayal of a neanderthal in Quest for Fire (1981). He went on to have prominent roles in films like Dune (1984), Silver Bullet (1985), Heartbreak Ridge (1986), Licence to Kill (1989), The People Under the Stairs (1991) and Under Siege 2: Dark Territory (1995).
McGill has a relatively short filmography, but has managed to garner some level of fame by appearing in films such as Brubaker starring Robert Redford. With cult followings, including a stint as Chad Richards on the soap opera The Guiding Light in 1975 and 1976. After coming into the public eye in 1981 for his role as the rugged caveman leader Naoh in Quest for Fire, McGill appeared in Silver Bullet, a 1985 werewolf film inspired by a Stephen King short story; the Korean War battle epic Field of Honor and the Clint Eastwood war film Heartbreak Ridge in 1986; and in the 1989 installment of the James Bond franchise Licence to Kill. In 1988, McGill played the titular role in Iguana directed by Monte Hellman. In later 1996, he starred in the film My Fellow Americans starring his two late co-stars James Garner and Jack Lemmon. In 1991, McGill would reunite with his Twin Peaks co-star Wendy Robie. The two appeared as the villains of the Wes Craven feature The People Under the Stairs.
The actor is widely recognized for his work with director David Lynch. McGill first worked with Lynch in the 1984 adaptation of Frank Herbert's Dune, in which he played Fremen leader Stilgar. McGill later appeared as Ed Hurley on the television series Twin Peaks. McGill also appeared in Lynch's 1999 film The Straight Story.
After Lynch searched for him in his country home, the actor and director reunited, and McGill decided to come out of retirement specifically to reprise the role of Big Ed Hurley, in the 2017 revival of Twin Peaks.
- Yanks (1979) as White G.I. at dance
- Union City (1980) as Larry Longacre
- Brubaker (1980) as Eddie Caldweel
- Quest for Fire (1981) as Naoh
- Dune (1984) as Stilgar
- Silver Bullet (1985) as Reverend Lowe
- Field of Honor (1986) as Sergeant "Sire" De Koning
- Heartbreak Ridge (1986) as Major Powers
- Iguana (1988) as Oberlus
- Licence to Kill (1989) as Ed Killifer
- Jezebel's Kiss (1990) as Sheriff Dan Riley
- The People Under the Stairs (1991) as Man
- Under Siege 2: Dark Territory (1995) as Marcus Penn
- My Fellow Americans (1996) as Col. Paul Tanner
- Jekyll Island (1998) as Dalton Bradford
- The Straight Story (1999) as Tom the John Deere Dealer
- Twin Peaks (1990–1991/2017) as Big Ed Hurley