Evergreen Cemetery (Jacksonville, Florida)
The entrance to Evergreen Cemetery
In 1880 organizers of Evergreen Cemetery conceived of establishing a centrally located cemetery in Jacksonville. J. J. Daniel and directors of Evergreen purchased 200 acres of land for their project at $25 an acre. The first burial at Evergreen Cemetery took place on April 8, 1881 for Margaret Jamison. An on-site raildroad depot was built in the cemetery for better access to visitors via the Jacksonville-Fernandina Railroad. A section of the cemetery was established in 1885 for those who died during the Yellow fever epidemic in Jacksonville. At the turn of the 20th century Evergreen became a non-profit association. First Board President Arthur G. Cummer and the board purchased an additional 22 acres from nearby Woodlawn Cemetery. The City of Jacksonville ceded back its pauper cemetery to Evergreen north of the cemetery. In 1969 an on-site business office was built near the entrance to the cemetery.
- Walter M. Chandler
- Claude L'Engle
- John Jackson Dickison
- Grace Wilbur Trout
- Ben Geraghty
- John W. Martin
- Cora Crane
- Duncan U. Fletcher
- William James Bryan
- Alexander St. Clair-Abrams, family mausoleum
- James Taliaferro
- Noble A. Hull
- Maxey Dell Moody
- Napoleon B. Broward
- James McNair Baker
- Nathan Philemon Bryan
- Albert H. Blanding
- "History & Growth of Evergreen". evergreenjax.com. Retrieved 8 December 2013.
- "Evergreen Cemetery". findagrave.com. Retrieved 8 December 2013.
- "Evergreen Cemetery". metrojacsonville.com. Retrieved 8 December 2013.
- johnson, hillary. "evergreen cemetery". eujacksonville.com. Archived from the original on 8 December 2013. Retrieved 8 December 2013.
- "History". evergreenjax.com. Retrieved 15 January 2017.
- Johnson, Hilary. "evergreen cemetery". eujacksonville.com. Archived from the original on 8 December 2013. Retrieved 15 January 2017.
|This article about a property in Duval County, Florida on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|