Evergreen Cemetery (Oakland, California)
Evergreen Cemetery is a cemetery, crematorium and mausoleum located in Oakland, Alameda County, California, near the Eastmont Town Center and Mills College. The cemetery is on a small hill, with a large combined mausoleum, crematorium and chapel at the top of the hill. It is the second largest cemetery in Oakland, after the Mountain View Cemetery and Saint Mary Cemetery complex. It is full, and closed to new interments, but still operates a crematorium.
Jonestown mass grave and memorial plaque
412 unclaimed bodies of the Jonestown mass suicide are buried at Evergreen. A set of four memorial plaques with the names of all dead were placed at the site in 2011, which controversially included the name of Jim Jones, the architect of the mass suicide, who died with his followers, and is not buried at the cemetery.
Various notable people are buried at Evergreen:
- C. L. Best (1878–1951), son of Daniel Best, Caterpillar Tractor Company executive
- Daniel Best (1838–1923), adventurer and inventor
- Otto G. Foelker (1875–1943), U.S. Representative from New York
- Jesse Fuller (1896–1976), one man band musician
- Earl "Fatha" Hines (1905–1983), early jazz pianist
- Allen Hoskins (1920–1980), child actor who portrayed Farina in the Our Gang short movies from the 1920s
- Huey P. Newton (1942–1989), co-founder of the Black Panther Party.
- Jacob E. Swap (1846–1925), Civil War soldier given the Medal of Honor
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Evergreen Cemetery (Oakland, California).|
- "JONESTOWN MEMORIAL - The Official Memorial and Wall Founded May 1979". Jones-town.org. Retrieved 2011-07-01.
- "Jonestown memorial finally installed in Oakland's Evergreen Cemetery". Inside Bay Area. Retrieved 2011-07-01.
- Find a Grave: famous people
- "The shadow of the panther: Huey ... - Google Books". Books.google.com. Retrieved 2011-07-01.
- The Shadow of the Panther: Huey Newton and the Price of Black Power in America, Hugh Pearson. Da Capo Press, 1995. page 325
- "Cemetery Explorers: Hells Angels Motorcycle Club Oakland, CA". Cemeteryexplorers.blogspot.com. 2010-01-04. Retrieved 2011-07-01.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Evergreen Cemetery
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Evergreen Mausoleum
- Evergreen Cemetery at Find a Grave
- Jonestown Memorial at Find a Grave