Evergreen High School (Evergreen, Colorado)
|Evergreen High School|
Evergreen High School, March 2004
|29300 Buffalo Park Road
Evergreen, Colorado 80439
|Type||Public high school|
|Established||1944 (separate from previous K-12 school)|
|School district||JEFFCO Public Schools|
|Color(s)||Navy blue and gold|
|Athletics conference||Jefferson County|
|Rival||Conifer High School|
Evergreen High School is a public high school in the JEFFCO Public Schools district in Evergreen, Colorado, United States. Until Conifer High School opened in 1996, the school served students in both Evergreen and Conifer. Evergreen High School is known for being "a school of excellence" in its academic, athletic and extracurricular activities.
The first school in the Evergreen area was the Buffalo Park School, which now resides on the grounds of Wilmot Elementary School. In the late 19th century, a frame structure was built one-quarter mile south of Main Street and served as a school until 1923. Located at 4841 County Road 73, the building currently houses Evergreen Bible Church.
Elementary and high school students were housed in the third school built in Evergreen, a red brick two-story structure located at the intersection of County Road 73 and Buffalo Park Road. It was built in 1922 when District 30 became C2, the second consolidation in Jefferson County. An adjacent white masonry building was built in 1944 for the high school and the first class graduated from the newly christened high school in 1948.
The school quickly outgrew its building and a new building was erected southwest of the bus barn at the intersection of Olive Road and Buffalo Park Road, opening in 1954. The building grew through additions as needed, creating a somewhat haphazard layout until the structure was unified with a "main street" layout as part of an addition and remodel in the late 1990s, designed by H+L Architecture.
Evergreen High School student demographics in the 2013-2014 school year:
- American Indian/Alaskan Native: 0.2%
- Asian/Pacific Islander: 1.6%
- Black: 0.1%
- Hispanic: 5.2%
- White: 90.6%
- Multiracial: 2.3%
The Cougars are considered to be archrivals of the Conifer High School Lobos.
- Boys' cross country: 1965 (III)
- Boys' golf: Chuck Canepa, 1968; Brett Dean, 1984 & 1986
- Gymnastics: 2008 (4A), 2011 (4A)
- Poms: 1996 (4A), 1998 (4A), 2001 (4A), 2002 (4A), 2003 (4A), 2005 (4A)
- Boys' soccer: 1989 (unclassed), 2015 (4A)
- Girls' soccer: 1990 (unclassed), 1997 (4A)
- Girls' swimming: 2013 (4A), 2014 (4A), 2015 (4A)
- Boys' track and field: 1968 (AA)
- Volleyball: 1976 (AAA), 1978 (AAA), 1979 (AAA), 1980 (AAA), 1981 (AAA), 1982 (AAA), 1983 (4A), 1984 (4A), 1985 (4A)
- Girls' Basketball: 2017 (4A)
Mentors in Violence Prevention
Following the Columbine shooting, Jefferson County Schools hired Jackson Katz, co-founder of the Mentors In Violence Prevention program, to adapt the collegiate program for high schools. Evergreen High School was chosen as the pilot school for the project. Its success led the program to other schools in the district, then to schools in other states.
Evergreen High School's Mock Trial team have been the state champions in 1988, 1989, 1990, 1992, and 2007. The team won the National High School Mock Trial Championship in 1990 and returned to the national competition again in May 2007, placing 10th.
- Jeff Ashby '72 – Space Shuttle astronaut
- Ronnie Cramer '75 – film director
- Pat Porter '77 – Olympic 10,000-meter runner 
- Trey Parker '88 – South Park co-creator
- Shane Bertsch '88 – PGA Tour member
- Jamin Winans '95 – filmmaker
- Brandon Barnes '97 – drummer for Rise Against
- Kevin Kouzmanoff '99 – Major League Baseball player
- Profile - Evergreen High School Archived 2007-09-28 at the Wayback Machine.. Colorado High School Activities Association.
- Evergreen School, Second One. Jefferson County, Colorado Place Names Directory.
- Evergreen School, Third One. Jefferson County, Colorado Place Names Directory.
-  Jefferson County, Colorado Place Names Directory.
- "Jefferson County School District Evergreen High School Additions and Remodel". GH Phipps Construction Companies.
- Evergreen High School School Profile – 2013-14. Jefferson County Public Schools. 23 Apr 2015.
- State Champions Archived December 30, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.. Colorado high School Activities Association.
- Sampl, Emily. "Evergreen Successfully Defends Colorado Girls 4A State Swimming and Diving Championship Title". Swimming World.
- Kenworthy, Tom; Patrick O'Driscoll (2000-04-14). "Columbine changes schools' inner world". USA TODAY.
- Mitchell, Nancy (2001-03-12). "Standing against violence". Rocky Mountain News.
- Janofsky, Michael (2001-03-19). "Bill on Student Bullying Is Considered in Colorado". The New York Times. p. A10.
- "In and Around the Bar - 2007 High School Mock Trial Program". The Colorado Lawyer. Colorado Bar Association. May 2007. Archived from the original on 2007-09-28.
- "Evergreen students win U.S. trial title". Rocky Mountain News. 1990-05-14.
A team of Evergreen High School student lawyers were judged best in the nation over the weekend at the National High School Mock Trial Championship in Portland, Ore.
- Fowler, Pete (2007-03-07). "Demons ninth at mock trial state competition". Glenwood Springs Independent.
Evergreen High School placed first. The team will go on to represent Colorado at the national mock trial championship starting May 10 in Dallas, Texas. George Washington High School of Denver was the other team to make it to the championship round at state, eventually losing to Evergreen.
- Erickson, Jim (2001-04-19). "3 of 7 on Shuttle Have Colorado Ties". Rocky Mountain News.
- Associated Press (28 Jul 2012). "2-time Olympic runner killed in Ariz. plane crash".
- Brown, Mark (2006-06-21). "Rise Against no average punks". Rocky Mountain News.
- Saunders, Patrick (2007-04-09). "Perfection in bullpen a real relief for Padres". Denver Post.