Evergreen Park Community High School District 231
|Evergreen Park Community High School|
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Evergreen Park Community High School District 231|
|Principal||William J. Sanderson|
|Faculty||58.3 (on FTE basis)|
|Grades||9 to 12|
|Student to teacher ratio||15.9|
|Campus size||20 acres (8.1 ha)|
|Color(s)||Green and Gray|
|Athletics conference||South Suburban Conference|
|Accreditation||Illinois State Board of Education|
North Central Association
|Feeder schools||Evergreen Park Elementary School District 124|
The Evergreen Park High School District 231, also called Evergreen Park High School, is a public high school located in Evergreen Park, Illinois southwest of Chicago. The high school has about 950 students in grades 9-12.
Students originate from the Evergreen Park Elementary School District 124.
The school's first superintendent, Marshall G. Batho, announced the opening of Evergreen Park Community High School (EPCHS) on September 6, 1955. The school's overall construction consisted of three phases that expanded through 1953-1963, with the completions of each phase in 1955, 1957, and 1963.
After opening its doors in 1955, the school quickly reached capacity as the small suburb experienced a major unexpected population boom during the decade. In a span for only two years, and during the initial planning and construction phase, the population spiked 3,985 people (between 1954-1956). In 1950, according to the census, the town's population was listed as 10,400, but by the spring of 1956, Evergreen Park's population ballooned to nearly 20,000 residents.
On May 5, 1963 at the cost of $1,285,000, the board of education of district 231 announced an open house for the new 2-story wing addition to the original buildings. The wrap-around architectural design, created by Perkins and Willis, preserved the athletic fields to the east of the school, saved available parking, eliminated noise from Kedzie Ave, shielded the classrooms from the afternoon sun, and created a hexagon cafeteria positioned in the center of the building with a court yard view. Upon completion, the project unified the building and doubled the size of the school by expanding the lay out to 193,830 square feet of usable space with a capacity to serve 1,400 students.
In 1965, Evergreen Park voters approved a $495,000 bond issue to build a year-round swimming pool addition to be built on the southeast corner of the high school. However, the construction was contingent on a proposed 21-cent tax hike that was initially defeated. The pool was eventually built and opened in 1969.
Evergreen Park competes in the South Suburban Conference (SSC), and is a member of the Illinois High School Association (IHSA), the body which governs most athletics and competitive activities in the state. Teams are stylized as the Mustangs.
The following teams have finished in the top four of their respective IHSA sponsored state tournament.
- Bowling (girls): 3rd place (1976—77, 1977—78, 1980—81); 4th place (1978—79)
- Softball: 4th place (1985—86)
Prior to being sponsored by the IHSA, the girls' water polo team won the state championship from 1980—85, finishing second in 1986.
Girls Cross Country placed 3rd in conference (2009, 2010) and Placed 1st in Regionals (2010)
Football: undefeated champions South West Suburban Conference (1964) 8-0.
- Theodore Kaczynski, also known as the "Unabomber" math professor and terrorist
- Donn Pall, Former MLB player (Chicago White Sox, Philadelphia Phillies, Chicago Cubs, New York Yankees, Florida)
- "Evergreen Park High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved 2008-02-15.
- "Evergreen Park High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved November 2, 2018.
- "IHSA Evergreen Park". Illinois High School Association. Retrieved 2008-02-15.
- "NCA-CSI Network - Evergreen Park High School". North Central Association. Retrieved 2008-02-15.[dead link]
- Evergreen park high sets open house. (1963, May 05). Chicago Tribune (1963-Current File) Retrieved from https://search.proquest.com/docview/182697810
- “Evergreen Park High Plans to Open Sept. 6.” Chicago Daily Tribune (1923-1963), 21 Aug. 1955, pp. 1–sw6. ProQuest Historical Newspapers: Chicago Tribune, https://search.proquest.com/docview/179544902. Accessed 4 May 2018.
- SCHOOL BOND VOTE FEB. 23 IN SOUTH SUBURB. (1957, Feb 10). Chicago Daily Tribune (1923-1963) Retrieved from https://search.proquest.com/docview/180074559
- Voters reject tax hike. (1965, Sep 12). Chicago Tribune (1963-Current File)Retrieved from https://search.proquest.com/docview/180073380
- "MATH, SCIENCE FAIR TO HEAR U. C. PRESIDENT". Chicago Tribune. 25 March 1962. pp. SW6. ProQuest 183152449.
- Season summaries for Evergreen Park HS; ihsa.org; accessed 2 January 2009
- 2007 Illinois Water Polo All-State Banquet Program, p. 8; accessed 2 January 2009
- "About District 231". Evergreen Park High School. Archived from the original on 2008-02-10. Retrieved 2008-02-15.
- "Evergreen Park Community High School Student Handbook" (PDF). Retrieved 2008-02-15.[dead link]