Every Heart a Doorway
Cover of first edition
|Media type||Print (hardcover) and e-book|
|Followed by||Down Among the Sticks and Bones|
The story is set in a boarding school for teenagers who have passed through "doorways" into fantasy worlds only to be evicted back into the real world. It serves as something of a recovery center for boarders who find they no longer fit in, either in the "real" world or their own uncomprehending families. For a fortunate few it is just a way station until they can find their ways back to the worlds they do fit into; for others, it's the least bleak choice in what may be a life-long exile. This unhappy ending for the students takes a terrifying turn when some of their number start turning up dead. A small group joins together in an attempt to expose the person committing these murders before it is too late to save the school, or even themselves.
Reception and awards
Every Heart a Doorway was critically acclaimed upon release, and it won the 2017 Hugo Award for Best Novella, the 2016 Nebula Award for Best Novella, the 2017 Locus Award for Best Novella and the Alex Awards for 2017.
The book is the first in an open sequence of novellas called the "Wayward Children" series, later volumes of which further explore characters and settings this one establishes.
- Every Heart a Doorway title listing at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- "2017 Hugo Awards". World Science Fiction Society. Archived from the original on 2017-08-11. Retrieved 2017-08-11.
- "Nebula Award Recipients Announced". Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America. 2017-05-20. Retrieved 2017-05-21.
- "2017 Locus Awards Winners". www.locusmag.com. Locus Online News. 2017-06-24. Retrieved 2017-06-25.
- NGILBERT (2018-02-13). "2017 Alex Awards". Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA). Retrieved 2019-01-03.