Every Little Step
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2013)|
|"Every Little Step"|
|Single by Bobby Brown|
|from the album Don't Be Cruel|
|Released||March 9, 1989|
|Format||Cassette single, 7" single, 12" single, CD single|
|Genre||R&B, pop, new jack swing|
|Writer(s)||L.A. Reid, Kenneth "Babyface" Edmonds|
|Producer(s)||L.A. Reid & Babyface|
|Bobby Brown singles chronology|
"Every Little Step" is a 1989 single by R&B singer Bobby Brown, written by L.A. Reid and Kenneth "Babyface" Edmonds and released by MCA Records. Released as the fourth single on his second album Don't Be Cruel, it reached #3 on the Billboard Hot 100, #1 on the Hot Black Singles chart, and #6 on the UK Singles Chart in 1989. The song also appears on Brown's remix album Dance!...Ya Know It!.
Around the time Don't Be Cruel was in production, Reid was dating singer Pebbles, who later became his wife. Inspired by his relationship with his girlfriend at the time, he wrote and co-produced the song with Edmonds, intending to give it to the group Midnight Star. Bobby Brown, however, heard a demo of the song and liked it instantly, which led to its inclusion on Don't Be Cruel.
- Every Little Step (Extended Version) - 7:55
- Every Little Step (Instrumental) - 4:02
- Every Little Step (Radio Edit) - 4:51
- Every Little Step (Uptown Mix) - 7:33
|Australia ARIA Charts||8|
|UK Singles Chart||6|
|US Billboard Hot 100||3|
|US Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles Sales||17|
|US Hot Black Singles||1|
Bobby Brown: Lead Vocals, Rap
Babyface: Remixing, Keyboards, Background Vocals, Bass
L.A. Reid: Remixing, Drum Programming
Donald K. Parks: Drum Programming, Synthesizer [Fairlight CMI]
Daryl Simmons, Karyn White: Background Vocals
Covers and samples
- Performed by Vocal Point on NBC's The Sing-Off in 2011.
- Performed by Marcus Canty on The X Factor USA 2011.
- R&B/pop singer Usher covered "Every Little Step" on his 1999 album, Live.
- Play covered the song for their Don't Stop the Music album.
- Mercury4 covered the song on their debut album.
- The song was sampled in "If You Must" by Del Tha Funkee Homosapien without credit.
- Australian band Bluejuice covered the song on the weekly segment Like a Version on Triple J in September 2008.
- John Travolta covered the song on the soundtrack to the film Old Dogs. This version is talking about the father-daughter relationship between Travolta and his daughter Ella Bleu. The music video itself bears strong resemblance to the original video and features The Travoltas watching various clips from the movie on their computer, as well as playing and dancing around.
- Although not a direct cover, the music from Spring Yard Zone in the video game Sonic the Hedgehog sounds very similar.
- Wayne Brady and Mike Tyson parodied this song in a video for the website "Funny or Die"  Bobby himself appears in the parody.
- Nelly and Joe Jonas performed this on The Next: Fame Is at Your Doorstep.
- Rough Copy performed a medley of "Every Little Step" and "She's Got That Vibe" on the tenth series of The X Factor in 2013.
- The song makes an appearance in Dance Dance Revolution SuperNova 2.
- "Every Little Step by Bobby Brown". AllMusic. Retrieved 2013-11-02.
- "Every Little Step by Bobby Brown". SongFacts. Retrieved 4 Aug 2011.
- "Idiot Boyfriend by Jimmy Fallon". Youtube. Retrieved 24 Dec 2009.
- "A remake of the Bobby Brown classic "Every Little Step" with Mike Tyson and Wayne Brady must be seen to be believed.". Retrieved 2010-09-30.
- "iral: Wayne Brady and His Unforgettable Bobby Brown Swag". Time. October 1, 2010. Retrieved 2010-10-02.
"Girl I Got My Eyes On You" by Today
|Billboard Hot Black Singles number-one single
April 15, 1989
"Love Saw It" by Karyn White featuring Babyface