Everyday carry (EDC) or every day carry refers to items that are carried on a consistent basis to assist in dealing with normal everyday needs, including possible emergency situations.
While often distributed among pockets in everyday clothing, carry options are frequently expanded by the addition of clothing accessories like a fanny pack, purse, small day pack, or even footwear like long boots or a vest with pockets. The multiple large pockets of cargo pants make them a popular choice among people who carry EDC items.
Choice of items
Specific items utilized for EDC will vary based on the activity and environment.
- Those who work in a warehouse or outdoors may carry a pocket knife or box cutter and work gloves. For those who are in the medical field, having emergency latex or nitrile gloves can be important.
- For those who live in a disaster prone area, having a flashlight and a communication tool may be essential. ;Team support: Those whose partner(s) or team members carry a weapon of some kind, may carry a first aid kit or extra ammunition as support in case of incident or accident.
- Those who (might) require medical attention or are prone to sudden ailments (or are often with someone else who does) may carry prescribed medicine.
- Having a time piece is sometimes necessary for timing critical everyday actions or to be on schedule.
- A weapon such as a firearm, knife, tactical flashlight, tactical pen, pepper spray, stun gun, or a small impact weapon.
- A compass, fire starting and water purification items might be suitable, and an air horn may be useful to scare off aggressive wild life.
- 18 March 2010 (2010-03-18). "How to Choose the Best Everyday Carry Bag". Survival News Online.
- "Tactical Toters". American Cop Magazine. 2011-07-28. Retrieved 2012-02-10.