|Single by Liberty X|
|from the album Being Somebody|
|Released||12 January 2004|
|Format||CD single, DVD single|
|Writer(s)||Hannah Robinson, Pascal Gabriel|
|Producer(s)||Marius de Vries|
|Liberty X singles chronology|
"Everybody Cries" is the third and final single to be released from British pop-group Liberty X's second studio album, Being Somebody. The single was released on 12 January 2004, peaking at No. 13 on the UK Singles Chart. It was the band's last single with V2 Records, after being dropped by label boss Richard Branson. The single only spent a further two weeks in the chart, before falling out of the top 40 completely.
In its second week on the chart, the single fell to No. 26, before falling even further the following week, to No. 39. Whilst discussing the single during the ITV2 documentary The Big Reunion, band member Kelli Young revealed that the band were worried that releasing "Everybody Cries" as a single would be a risk, and she wasn't sure whether the fans "would get it", as the song was a power ballad. She stated that the risk was uncalculated as the band "had never really released along that line at the time", despite the fact that the ballad "Holding on for You" was released in December 2002, achieving moderate chart success, peaking at No. 5 on the UK Singles Chart.
The music video for the song was filmed in October 2003, and features the band walking along disused railway lines in the English countryside, whilst behind the band, rubbish was showered, with items such as disused furniture and bicycles falling onto the railway tracks. The video was revolutionary to film at the time, as it took six days of filming, and a budget of nearly £150,000. However, the music video proved controversial, and received criticism from the Rail Safety and Standards Board, because of fears of copy cat acts in the future. However, their claim proved to be false.
- UK CD single #1
- "Everybody Cries" (Radio Edit) – 3:59
- "Sunshine" – 3:24
- UK CD single #2
- "Everybody Cries" (Album Version) – 4:56
- "Everybody Cries" (Bimbo Jones Mix) – 7:44
- "Enemy" – 3:39
- "Everybody Cries" (Behind The Scenes Footage) – 2:08
- UK DVD single
- "Everybody Cries" (Video) – 3:59
- "Jumpin'" (Video) – 3:38
- "Everybody Cries" (Wookie Mix) (Audio) – 5:01
|UK Singles Chart||14|
|United Kingdom||14 January 2004||CD single, DVD single|
- "Liberty X in rail track video row". CBBC Newsround. 13 January 200. Retrieved 22 July 2012. Check date values in:
- "Funhouse Chart Stats". Official Chart Company. Archived from the original on 30 April 2012. Retrieved 10 August 2009.
- Praxis Media. "Radio1 Rodos Greece ::: UK Forthcoming Singles ::: Charts, DJ Promos, Dance, Lyrics, Free Mp3 Samples Downloads". Radio1.gr. Retrieved 16 March 2012.