Everything I Play Is Funky
|Everything I Play is Funky|
|Studio album by Lou Donaldson|
|Recorded||August 22, 1969 & January 9, 1970
Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs
|Lou Donaldson chronology|
Everything I Play is Funky is an album by jazz saxophonist Lou Donaldson recorded for the Blue Note label featuring Donaldson with Blue Mitchell, Lonnie Smith, Melvin Sparks, Jimmy Lewis and Idris Muhammad and two tracks with Eddie Williams and Charles Earland replacing Mitchell and Smith.
The album was awarded 3 stars in an Allmusic review by Steve Huey who states "Everything I Play Is Funky is easily one of the best examples of Lou Donaldson's commercially accessible period of the late '60s and early '70s. Donaldson's forays into funk and R&B-driven soul-jazz could sometimes sound stiff, but the grooves here — which feature many of the same players — are consistently limber and unforced. And, typical of the style, the grooves (not adventurous improvisation) are what make the album tick... This is the sort of record that modern-day Donaldson disciples like the Sugarman Three cherish, and one of his few truly consistent efforts in this style. Recommended wholeheartedly to funk and rare-groove fans".
- All compositions by Lou Donaldson except as indicated
- "Everything I Do Gon' Be Funky (From Now On)" (Allen Toussaint) - 5:31
- "Hamp's Hump" (Paul Hampton) - 6:40
- "Over the Rainbow" (Harold Arlen, E.Y. "Yip" Harburg) - 7:11
- "Donkey Walk" - 6:44
- "West Indian Daddy" - 6:30
- "Minor Bash" - 6:15
Recorded on August 22, 1969 (4-5) and January 9, 1970 (1-3 & 6).
- Lou Donaldson - varitone alto saxophone, voice
- Blue Mitchell (tracks 1-3 & 6), Eddie Williams (tracks 4 & 5) - trumpet
- Lonnie Smith (tracks 1-3 & 6), Charles Earland (tracks 4 & 5) - Hammond organ
- Melvin Sparks - guitar
- Jimmy Lewis - Fender bass (tracks 1-3 & 6)
- Idris Muhammad - drums
- Producer – Francis Wolff
- Recording - Rudy Van Gelder
- Cover design - Bob Venosa/ Havona
- Cover design (reissue) – Patrick Roques
- Photography - Charles Keddie
- Inc, Nielsen Business Media (20 June 1970). "Billboard". Nielsen Business Media, Inc. Retrieved 1 November 2016 – via Google Books.
- "Everything I Play Is Funky - Lou Donaldson". allmusic.com. Retrieved 1 November 2016.
- Lou Donaldson discography accessed December 14, 2009.
- Huey, S. Allmusic Review accessed December 14, 2009.
- "Lou Donaldson Everything I Play Is Funky". funkmysoul.gr. 16 September 2015. Retrieved 1 November 2016.