Everything Is Awesome
|"Everything Is Awesome"|
|Single by Tegan and Sara featuring The Lonely Island|
|from the album The Lego Movie: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack|
|Released||January 27, 2014|
|Writer(s)||Shawn Patterson, Jo Li, The Lonely Island|
|Producer(s)||Shawn Patterson, Mark Mothersbaugh, Bartholomew|
|Tegan and Sara singles chronology|
"Everything Is Awesome" is the theme song to the 2014 Warner Bros. Pictures film The Lego Movie. It was written by Shawn Patterson, Jo Li, and The Lonely Island. The single and pop version featured in the end credits of the movie was produced by Mark Mothersbaugh and performed by Tegan and Sara in collaboration with The Lonely Island.
The version of "Everything Is Awesome" featured in The Lego Movie scene, official trailer, TV spots, video game, and featurette was produced by Bartholomew and performed by Bartholomew and Lisa Harriton under the name Jo Li.
We want to be a "serious" musical band, while also being funny people, but this was so adorable, and the movie looked great, and the opportunity to do something with Mark Mothersbaugh and the Lonely Island ... it was sort of a no-brainer, and it's turned out to be this really cool moment. We feel like it was a win-win.
In an interview to Fox News, Mark Mothersbaugh says the song "was supposed to be like mind control early in the film. It's totally irritating, this kind of mindless mantra to get people up and working."
"Everything is Awesome" debuted at No. 7 on the Dance/Electronic Songs chart, with 34,000 downloads in its first week (Nielsen SoundScan) and 11 on the Irish Charts. It also charted 35 on the Canadian Hot 100. The song charted 17 on the UK Charts and charted 3 on the UK Indie. In the US Billboard Hot 100, the song charted 57. As of June 2014, the single had sold 418,000 copies in the United States.
International Business Times described the song as a parody of creeping fascism, saying that the song "seems little more than an infectiously catchy parody of watered-down radio pop, right down to the faux-dubstep breakdown. There’s a lot more happening under the surface, however."
As one of the songs nominated for Best Original Song at the 2015 Oscars, "Everything is Awesome" was performed as a large-scale musical number featuring not only Tegan and Sara and The Lonely Island, but also on-stage appearances by Mothersbaugh (paying homage to his 1970s group Devo by wearing a LEGO version of the distinctive Devo energy dome), DJ Questlove, and comic actor Will Arnett dressed as Batman (in the film, Arnett provides the voice of Batman and sings the mocking heavy metal composition "Untitled Self Portrait", an excerpt of which was incorporated into the "Everything Is Awesome" performance). According to LEGO Movie co-director Christopher Miller, for this on-stage appearance, Arnett wore the Batman costume originally worn by Val Kilmer in the 1995 film Batman Forever. Arnett also lip-synced to the song on the Reality TV Show Lip Sync Battle, while dressed as Emmet, the character voiced by Chris Pratt in The Lego Movie.
Awards and nominations
- Nominated for Best Original Song at the 87th Academy Awards
- Nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Song Written for Visual Media
- Nominated for a Critics' Choice Movie Award for Best Song
- 2014 Denver Film Critics Society for Best Original Song
- Nominated for a 2014 Georgia Film Critics Association for Best Original Song
- 2014 Hollywood Music In Media Award for Song - Animated Film
- 2014 Houston Film Critics Society for Best Original Song
- 2015 Talk Film Society Awards for Best Original Song
- 2014 Iowa Film Critics for Best Original Song
- Phoenix Film Critics Society Awards 2014 for Best Original Song
- Nominated for a Satellite Award for Best Original Song
- Variety Artisans Award
Charts and certifications
Appearances in other media
- In July 2014, the song was re-used in a video of Greenpeace to promote their petition calling on The Lego Group to drop its partnership with Shell.
- An Xfinity commercial featured a cover of the song with altered lyrics.
- Shawn Patterson (February 14, 2014). Everything Is Awesome - Shawn Patterson (Unplugged) surprise performance (HD) (Motion). Warner Bros.Pictures: Warner Bros. Pictures/Ryan Halpern. Event occurs at 0:11. Retrieved January 12, 2015.
Shawn Patterson, who wrote the music and lyrics for the hit song from The Lego Movie "Everything Is Awesome", surprises a crowd of WB employees with his unplugged rendition of the song at a conference room celebration.
- "SOCAN presents first-ever film & TV No. 1 Song Award to Josh Bartholomew. theme". March 8, 2014. Retrieved March 11, 2014.
- "ALLMUSIC Credits". February 4, 2014. Retrieved January 11, 2015.
- Brown, August (February 11, 2014). "Everything is awesome, indeed, for Mark Mothersbaugh". LA Times. Retrieved February 12, 2014.
- The LEGO® Movie - Official Main Trailer (HD) (Motion). YouTube: Warner Bros. Pictures. October 31, 2013. Event occurs at 0:48. Retrieved January 12, 2015.
- The LEGO Movie - TV Spot 1 (HD) (Motion). YouTube: Warner Bros.s Pictures. January 13, 2014. Event occurs at 0:02. Retrieved January 12, 2015.
- The LEGO Movie - Now Playing Spot 2 (HD) (Motion). YouTube: Warner Bros. Pictures. February 7, 2014. Event occurs at 0:02. Retrieved January 12, 2015.
- The LEGO Movie - Now Playing Spot 5 (HD) (Motion). YouTube: Warner Bros. Pictures. February 21, 2014. Event occurs at 0:00. Retrieved January 12, 2015.
- The LEGO Movie - "Creating the Bricks" (HD) (Motion). YouTube: Warner Bros. Pictures. January 6, 2015. Event occurs at 0:00 and 3:50. Retrieved January 12, 2015.
- "ALLMUSIC Credits". February 4, 2014. Retrieved January 11, 2015.
-  "Playlists for 1/26/14"
- 'The Lego Movie': Why Tegan & Sara Went Chirpy for 'Everything Is Awesome' (Video). The Hollywood Reporter. February 17, 2014.
- Devo lead singer dishes on creating catchy 'Lego' song. Fox News. February 18, 2014.
- Locker, Melissa (February 11, 2014). "Everything is Awesome in New Lego-Themed Tegan & Sara Video Feat. The Lonely Island". Time.com. Retrieved February 12, 2014.
- Lipshutz, David (February 14, 2014). "Tegan & Sara on Their 'Awesome' 'LEGO Movie' Song: 'It's a Crazy Earworm'". Billboard. Retrieved February 16, 2014.
- Murray, Gordon (July 2, 2014). "Daft Punk, DJ Snake & Lil Jon Lead Mid-Year SoundScan Dance/Electronic Charts". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved July 2, 2014.
- How 'The Lego Movie' And 'Everything Is Awesome' Parody Creeping Everyday Fascism. International Business Times. February 13, 2014.
- WATCH: ‘Everything is Awesome’ at the Oscars Thanks to Will Arnett’s Batman and Oprah, Variety. February 23, 2015; accessed February 25, 2015
- Nick Romano, Will Arnett Wore A Piece Of Batman History At The Oscars. Cinema Blend. February 23, 2015; accessed February 25, 2015
- "Congrats to our nominees for Original Song". January 15, 2015. Retrieved January 18, 2015.
- "57th Annual GRAMMY Awards Nominees". December 5, 2014. Retrieved January 12, 2015.
- "Critics' Choice Nominees". December 15, 2014. Retrieved January 12, 2015.
- "DFCS Names 'American Sniper' 2014′s Best Film". January 12, 2015. Retrieved January 12, 2015.
- "Georgia Film Critics Association: 2014 Awards". January 9, 2015. Retrieved January 12, 2015.
- Feinberg, Scott (November 5, 2014). "Hollywood Music in Media Awards: Gregg Alexander Performs, Glen Campbell Feted". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved January 11, 2015.
- "Houston Film Critics Society". December 16, 2014. Retrieved January 12, 2015.
- Patches, Matt (January 7, 2015). "'Boyhood' is Iowa Critics' Best Picture of 2014". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved January 11, 2015.
- "Phoenix Film Critics Society". December 16, 2014. Retrieved January 12, 2015.
- "International Press Academy". December 1, 2014. Retrieved January 12, 2015.
- "Santa Barbara Film Festival Announces Full Program, Variety Artisans Awards". Variety. January 8, 2015. Retrieved January 12, 2015.
- ARIA Australian Top 40 Digital Tracks | Australia's Official Top 40 Digital Downloads. ARIA Charts. Retrieved on 2014-05-02.
- "Tegan and Sara – Chart history" Canadian Hot 100 for Tegan and Sara. Retrieved February 23, 2014.
- "Chart Track: Week 09, 2014". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved February 24, 2014.
- "Charts.org.nz – Tegan And Sara feat. The Lonely Island – Everything Is Awesome". Top 40 Singles.
- "Archive Chart: March 1, 2014". Scottish Singles Top 40. Retrieved February 23, 2014.
- "1, 2014/ Archive Chart: March 1, 2014" UK Singles Chart.
- "1, 2014/ Archive Chart: March 1, 2014" UK Indie Chart. Retrieved February 23, 2014.
- "Tegan and Sara – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Tegan and Sara. Retrieved February 23, 2014.
- Comedy Digital Tracks : Feb 15, 2014. Billboard biz. Retrieved February 23, 2014.
- Hot Dance/Electronic Songs : Mar 1, 2014. Billboard biz. Retrieved February 23, 2014.
- Tegan and Sara - Chart history for Heatseekers Songs. Billboard.com. Retrieved February 23, 2014.
- "American single certifications – Tegan and Sara feat. The Lonely Island – Everything Is Awesome!!!". Recording Industry Association of America. 2014. Retrieved 2015. Check date values in:
|access-date=(help) If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- Vaughan, Adam. July 9, 2014. Lego told 'everything is not awesome' in viral Greenpeace video. The Guardian. Retrieved January 28, 2015.
- XFINITY (2016-08-06), "Everything is Awesome" – XFINITY, retrieved 2016-08-16