Everywhere (Michelle Branch song)
|Single by Michelle Branch|
|from the album The Spirit Room|
|Released||July 17, 2001|
|Michelle Branch singles chronology|
"Everywhere" is a single released by American singer-songwriter Michelle Branch. It was written by Branch and John Shanks for her debut album, The Spirit Room (2001). The song was produced by John Shanks and was released in July 2001 by Maverick Records. The song received positive reviews from critics praising its lyrical content and Branch's vocal performance. The song attained moderate success, reaching the top 20 in Australia, the Netherlands, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
There are two music videos for the song, one features Branch singing the song inside a rundown building and shows Branch posing for The Spirit Room photoshoot, this video was exclusively available via enhanced CDs until it was made available on iTunes in limited countries; the official and second music video shows Branch inside her apartment spying on her crush who also seems to be spying on her as well. The two finally meet each other at the end of the music video.
Background and writing
Branch told MTV in 2001:
|“||I guess I could never do "Behind the Music," because none of the songs I write are about personal experiences. I mostly write love songs because I think it's the one thing that everyone can relate to. You see it in movies, in novels ... I like to keep my songs open-ended so people can listen to it and say, "Oh, I think it means this. I've been through that." Instead of having it be about, "I dumped my boyfriend. This is what the song is about." Then it's like, "I don't get it. This has never happened to me. I'm not Michelle." "Everywhere" started out as this simple acoustic love song. When you first like somebody, every little thing reminds you of that person. They're everywhere, in every little thing.||”|
|— Michelle Branch, 2001., |
The music video for "Everywhere" was directed by Liz Friedlander. The video shows Branch stalking a cute guy in the opposite apartment building while she plays her guitar in an empty room.
Branch told MTV in 2001, "Before we made the video, it was a big deal for me to help find the guy [who co-stars in it]. I was like, 'I'm taking over. Send all the photos to me. I have to pick the guy.' I was watching every WB show saying, 'He's cute. Can we contact him?' As a teenage girl, this was really exciting for me. They finally brought me the picture of the guy in my video, Jake Muxworthy. I was like, 'This is it. He has to be in it.' The scenes that he was in were so hard because I had this little crush on him. I would giggle and start blushing [when I saw him]. ... I think his girlfriend is probably going to track me down and kill me now."
"Everywhere" received positive reviews from critics praising its lyrical content and Branch's vocal performance. Allmusic's Liana Jonas described the song "a lively and heartfelt song with electric-guitar power chords, spirited vocal delivery, and catchy chorus.". Sputnikmusic reviewed the song "...starts with a nice acoustic intro which is joined in by drum, then the whole band for the chorus. While the music generally falls under pop, this song has a rockier edge to it." IGN Music calls the song "...definitely catchy". Sean Richardson of the Boston Phoenix made favourable comparisons between "Everywhere" and Vanessa Carlton's debut single "A Thousand Miles", saying, "it's a good-natured reverie, with none of the troubled soul searching that characterizes the work of Tori and Fiona. The song rocks enough to live up to those expectations and pop enough to race up the charts. It starts off pretty glossy, with Michelle singing the word "you’re" down the scale in three syllables over a fancy trip-hop drum loop. Then the slashing electric guitars and gang-harmony vocals come in, and before long she’s belting out an unforgettable dream-pop chorus. It’s a flawless pop production and an auspicious chart debut."
"Everywhere" peaked at number 12 on the US Billboard Hot 100 on the week ending November 10, 2001. The song stayed on the charts for 20 weeks. The song became Branch's first top 20 hit, as well as her third highest peaking single, after "The Game of Love" and "All You Wanted".
"Everywhere" remains Branch's most successful single worldwide. It charted the highest in New Zealand, where it peaked at number two in December 2001, behind Alicia Keys' "Fallin'". "Everywhere" also reached the top 20 in United Kingdom and Australia, where it was her only single that cracked the top 20.
In popular culture
- "Everywhere" is featured in the 2001 film, American Pie 2.
- "Everywhere" is featured on the video game Karaoke Revolution Party.
- "Everywhere" is featured on a Chase Bank commercial to emphasize the widespread locations of their ATM network.
- "Everywhere" is featured on an episode of Lizzie McGuire, "The First Kiss".
- "Everywhere" was heard on Radio Disney around June 2004 and is available on its compilation Radio Disney Jams, Vol. 7.
- "Everywhere" was used for promos for 2002–03 Serie A season in Italy.
- "Everywhere" has been used for promos for Gilmore Girls on the WB.
- "Everywhere" (3:36)
- "All You Wanted" [Unplugged Version] (3:35)
- "Goodbye to You" [Unplugged Version] (4:14)
- "Michelle Branch: "She's Everywhere"". MTV. 2001. Archived from the original on September 28, 2008. Retrieved May 23, 2010.
- Jonas, Lianas. "The Spirit Room Review". Allmusic. Retrieved 17 April 2010.
- "Michelle Branch The Spirit Room". musiciansforum.com. Retrieved 2010-04-17.
- McGrath, James (2003-09-04). "The Spirit Room Review". IGN. Archived from the original on 2011-06-22. Retrieved 2010-04-17.
- Richardson, Sean. "DIY divas: Michelle Branch and Vanessa Carlton" Archived March 15, 2012, at the Wayback Machine. Boston Phoenix. May 16—May 23, 2002. Retrieved April 17-28, 2010.
- Billboard - Everywhere - Michelle Branch
- "Single Top 40 16/12/2001". charts.org.nz. Retrieved June 17, 2018.
- Michelle Branch Awards Archived 2011-09-30 at the Wayback Machine michellebranch.com April 17, 2010
- "Chase featuring "Everywhere" by Michelle Branch". YouTube. 2009-08-03. Retrieved 2012-02-15.
- "Australian-charts.com – Michelle Branch – Everywhere". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Ultratop.be – Michelle Branch – Everywhere" (in Dutch). Ultratip.
- "Brazil" (PDF). ABPD. October 6, 2001. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- "Lescharts.com – Michelle Branch – Everywhere" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Offiziellecharts.de – Michelle Branch – Everywhere". GfK Entertainment Charts.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – week 9, 2002" (in Dutch). Dutch Top 40 Retrieved June 17, 2018.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Michelle Branch – Everywhere" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved 2010-08-31.
- "Charts.nz – Michelle Branch – Everywhere". Top 40 Singles.
- "Italiancharts.com – Michelle Branch – Everywhere". Top Digital Download.
- "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 2010-08-31.
- "Swisscharts.com – Michelle Branch – Everywhere". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Michelle Branch – Everywhere". Singles Top 100.
- "14 Квітня - 21 Квітня 2002" (in Ukrainian). FDR Music Charts. Archived from the original on 2014-10-06. Retrieved 2015-07-12.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- "Michelle Branch: Artist Chart History". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 2010-08-31.
- "Michelle Branch Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Michelle Branch Chart History (Pop Songs)". Billboard.
- "ARIA Charts - End Of Year Charts - Top 100 Singles 2002". ARIA. Retrieved June 17, 2018.