8 May 1980 |
Moscow, Soviet Union
|Parent(s)||Alexander Lebedev (father)|
Evgeny Alexandrovich Lebedev (/iev'geniː.'lɛbɛdɛv/; Russian Cyrillic: Евгений Александрович Лебедев; born 8 May 1980) is the chairman and owner of Evening Standard Ltd, the publisher of the Evening Standard, which he bought in January 2009 and of Independent Print Ltd, publisher of the Independent, the i and the Independent on Sunday, which he bought in March 2010.
Early life and education
Born in the Soviet Union, Evgeny Lebedev moved to London at the age of eight as his father, Alexander Lebedev, took a job at the Soviet Embassy in the city. Lebedev received British citizenship in October 2010.
He is the chairman and owner of the publisher of the Evening Standard, which he bought in January 2009, and of Independent Print Ltd, publisher of the Independent, the i and the Independent on Sunday, which he bought in March 2010.
Under Lebedev's tenure, the Evening Standard became the first large-circulation newspaper in Britain to be distributed free, its circulation tripling to 600,000 copies.
Other business interests
Lebedev's other business interests include:
- Sake no Hana Japanese restaurant in St James’s Street, St James's, Westminster, London, designed by Kengo Kuma
- Il Palazzo Terra Nova boutique hotel in Umbria, Italy.
- Hush British and European restaurant in Mayfair, London (designer and co-owner with Jamie Barber)
- The Grapes docklands pub by the Thames in Limehouse, London (co-owner with Ian McKellen and Sean Mathias)
Arts and culture
Lebedev is a supporter of the arts and chairman of the Evening Standard Theatre Awards.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Evgeny Lebedev.|
- Mark Sweney (8 January 2009). "Profile: Alexander and Evgeny Lebedev". The Guardian.
- Andrew Cave (2 July 2009). "Evgeny Lebedev spells out his vision for the Evening Standard". The Telegraph.
- Tristan O'Carroll. "DMGT confirms Standard to be sold to Lebedev". MediaWeek.
- "Lebedev family buys Independent in deal to secure paper's future", This is London website
- Stephen Brook (15 January 2010). "ABCs: Free London Evening Standard breaks through 600,000 barrier". The Guardian.
- Sake no Hana website
- Palazzo Terranova website
- The pub's history, The Grapes website
- "Anna Friel brings sheer glamour to the Evening Standard Theatre Awards". Daily Mail. 23 November 2009.