Nevo received a M.Sc and PhD (1964) from Hebrew University. His Ph.D thesis was entitled "Population studies of Anurans from the lower Cretaceous of Makhtesh Ramon, Israel". He founded the Institute of Evolution at Haifa in 1973. Nevo works with many evolutionary subjects, involving understanding and tracking of speciation processes, modifications of highly evolved traits (vision), climatic and geographic effects in sympatric speciation in insects, bacteria, fungi, mammals and crops. He is a proponent of evolutionary models where environmental stressors acting positively to shape genetic polymorphisms. The model of "Evolution Canyon" is a microscale open environment where two opposite slopes with contrasting climatic conditions have also finer biotic adaptations that have been researched at different biological scales, supporting the evolution in action generating evidence of sympatric speciation, and of particular impact and interest are the works in Drosophila and in wild barley.
He has published more than 1000 peer-reviewed research articles on a wide array of topics about genetic diversity, evolution in action, and environmental shaping of evolutionary processes. According to Thomson Reuters, he is among the top highly cited researchers in the world.
He is a Foreign Member of the Linnean Society, London (1990) and of the Ukraine Academy of Sciences (1997). He is a Foreign Associate Member in Evolutionary Biology section of the National Academy of Sciences, USA (2000), an Honorary Member of the Ukraine Botanical Society (1995), of the American Society of Mammalogists (2002), and the Israel Zoological Society (2007). He received Honorary doctorates from World University (1990) and the University of Duisburg-Essen, Germany.
- LC authorities
- Eviatar Nevo, Institute of Evolution, Haifa University
- WorldCat item record
- Evolution Canyon articles in Google Scholar
- Nevo, Eviatar (1995-11-22). "Asian, African and European biota meet at 'Evolution Canyon' Israel: local tests of global biodiversity and genetic diversity patterns". Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B. 262 (1364): 149–155. doi:10.1098/rspb.1995.0189. ISSN 0962-8452.
- Michalak, Pawel; Minkov, Irina; Helin, Amanda; Lerman, Daniel N.; Bettencourt, Brian R.; Feder, Martin E.; Korol, Abraham B.; Nevo, Eviatar (2001-11-06). "Genetic evidence for adaptation-driven incipient speciation of Drosophila melanogaster along a microclimatic contrast in "Evolution Canyon," Israel". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 98 (23): 13195–13200. doi:10.1073/pnas.231478298. ISSN 0027-8424. PMC 60847. PMID 11687637.
- Kalendar, Ruslan; Tanskanen, Jaakko; Immonen, Sirkka; Nevo, Eviatar; Schulman, Alan H. (2000-06-06). "Genome evolution of wild barley (Hordeum spontaneum) by BARE-1 retrotransposon dynamics in response to sharp microclimatic divergence". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 97 (12): 6603–6607. doi:10.1073/pnas.110587497. ISSN 0027-8424. PMC 18673. PMID 10823912.
- Thomson Highly Cited record E. Nevo, Haifa
- "Eviatar Nevo", National Academy of Science