||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2007)|
|Birth name||Michael Perretta|
|Also known as||EV, Mr. Slow Flow, The Weatherman|
|Born||December 10, 1976|
|Origin||Venice, Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Occupation(s)||Rapper, emcee, record producer, photographer|
|Instruments||Vocals, Pro Tools, Ensoniq ASR10, Reason 4, Reason 6, Akai MPC's|
|Labels||Capitol, ABB, Decon, Rhymesayers|
|Associated acts||Dilated Peoples, The Alchemist, Planet Asia, Fashawn, DJ Khalil, Defari, Slug, Sid Roams, Roc Marciano, LMNO, Planet Asia|
Michael Taylor Perretta, better known as Evidence (born December 10, 1976), is an American MC, producer, and member of the rap group Dilated Peoples. Before becoming a rapper and producer, Evidence was a graffiti artist.
Evidence was born Michael Perretta on December 10, 1976 in Venice, Los Angeles, California to Louis Michael Perretta, an Italian American, and actress Jana Taylor Perretta, who appeared in American television shows in the 1960s and 1970s.
Shortly after meeting QD3, Evidence teamed with the likeminded Rakaa to form the group Dilated Peoples and after the success of their 1997 single "Third Degree" b/w "Confidence" and "Global Dynamics" on ABB Records – and the addition of DJ Babu to the fold a year later—the group quickly became a fixture on the hip hop tour circuit. They hoped their success would serve as a platform for solo projects, much as the Wu-Tang Clan's success had done before them.
Four albums, and outside production work-including tracks for the Beastie Boys, Linkin Park, Swollen Members, Defari, Planet Asia and co- production on Kanye West's debut album College Dropout which earned him a Grammy, Evidence gave his fans a taste of his talent on his debut solo album The Weatherman LP (ABB Records).
Evidence also made a track directed at Eminem called "Search 4 Bobby Fisher" during a feud.
Through his work as one-third of Dilated Peoples, Evidence became a champion of hip-hop culture. "This is for people who get what I do,” says Evidence. "If I'm going to come out independently and have the freedom to do what I want, there's no better way to represent. I want to be a leader and carve out a new path."
With production from The Alchemist, Sid Roams (producers Joey Chavez and Tavish "Bravo" Graham), Jake One, DJ Babu, DJ Khalil, and Evidence himself, the album The Weatherman LP was released March 20, 2007.
"I think people can tell when an artist isn't confident in themselves and on this song I let the audience know I have something to say and I am going to stand behind it. When you come and see me on stage I am going to look you in the eyes and make that connection, I want the audience to know that I am ready to take the responsibility of being a leader, something they can believe in."
Perretta was close with his mother; "I Still Love You" and "Chase The Clouds Away" are both tributes to her. She died due to cancer in 2004. Writing and performing "I Still Love You" was emotionally challenging for Evidence, a single child whose mother was his best friend and confidante. "I produced it, I rapped on it and I recorded it by myself with nobody in the room because I couldn't have anybody around when I was doing it," he explains. "It's the one time you're definitely going to get all of me."
On the release of The Weatherman LP, Evidence said: "I am not relying on the success of Dilated Peoples to push this album, while they are featured on it and heavily co-signing my solo venture I understand that I am going to have to work twice as hard and get back in front of the people and re-introduce myself through shows, my music, and constant day-to-day networking with my fans. I am not married; I don't have kids, so I can stay on the road all year long if that is what it takes…so at the end of the day what I put in is what I get out and it will all be a reflection of me, Evidence." Evidence is also planning to come out with an album with producer/rapper The Alchemist and are to be called the "Step Brothers"
On July 17, 2009 it was announced that Evidence has signed a deal with Minneapolis based hip-hop label Rhymesayers Entertainment with a YouTube video showing Evidence signing the contract to release his new album Cats & Dogs, which was released in 2011.
Evidence's second studio album Cats & Dogs was released on September 27, 2011. The album charted at number 64 on the Billboard 200, making it Evidence's first album to appear on the chart. An album sampler mixed by DJ Babu has been released as well. The album won 2011 HHUG Best Album of the Year award.
In an emotional interview on Conspiracy Worldwide Radio, Evidence discussed his 2011 projects, including the status of Dilated Peoples, a future DJ Premier collaboration and citing the problems he had with the internet releasing his music before he does.
In an interview with Hip-Hop Kings at the 2015 Fresh Island Festival, Evidence confirms he will be releasing a new solo album in 2016 via Rhymesayers. Evidence confirms that DJ Babu and Alchemist will feature on the record. As of July 2015 he has around 5 songs recorded, and the album will be submitted for mastering no later than Jan 16.
|Year||Album||Peak chart positions|
|US Rap||US Ind.|
|2005||Another Sound Mission Vol. 1
|2007||The Weatherman LP||—||—||—||42|
|2011||Cats & Dogs
|2014||Lord Steppington (with The Alchemist)
|TBA||Untitled 3rd solo album ||-||-||-||-|
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart.|
- Yellow Tape Instrumentals (2004)
- Red Tape Instrumentals (2007)
- The Purple Tape Instrumentals (2008)
- Green Tape Instrumentals (2013)
- Storm Watch Mixtape (2007)
- The Layover Mixtape (2008)
- I Don't Need Love (Evidence vs. The Beatles) (2010)
- The Layover EP (2008)
|2007||"Mr. Slow Flow"||The Weatherman LP|
|"All Said & Done" (featuring Kobe)|
|2010||"To Be Continued..."||Cats & Dogs|
- Lyrics Born - "Pack Up (Remix)" from Same !@$ Different Day (2005)
- Statik Selektah - "Time to Say Goodbye" from Spell My Name Right: The Album (2007)
- Jake One - "White Van" from White Van Music (2008)
- Fashawn - "Our Way" from Boy Meets World (2009)
- Alchemist - "Therapy" from Chemical Warfare (2009)
- O.S.T.R. - "Real Game" from O.c.b. (2009)
- Rakaa - "Aces High" from Crown of Thorns (2010)
- Statik Selektah - "The Coast" from 100 Proof: The Hangover (2010)
- Strong Arm Steady - "True Champs" from In Search of Stoney Jackson (2010)
- Phonte - "The Life of Kings" from "Charity Starts at Home (2011)
- Alchemist - "Never Grow Up" from Russian Roulette (2012)
- Action Bronson - "Bitch, I Deserve You" from Rare Chandeliers (2012)
- Oh No - "Real Serious" from Ohnomite (2012)
- Blu - "Can't Stop, Won't Stop" from Good to Be Home (2014)
- Apollo Brown - "There's Always Radio" from Grandeur (2015)
- Souls of Mischief - "Soundscience" from Trilogy: Conflict, Climax, Resolution (2000)
- Swollen Members - "Remember the Name" and "Heat" from Heavy (2003)
- Kanye West - "Last Call" from The College Dropout (2004)
- Visionaries - "Momentum" from Pangaea (2004)
- Tha Alkaholiks - "Handle It" from Firewater (2006)
- Planet Asia - The Medicine (2006)
- Strong Arm Steady - "Streetlights" from Deep Hearted (2007)
- Infamous Mobb - "Music 4 the User" from Reality Rap (2007)
- Heltah Skeltah - "Hellz Kitchen" from D.I.R.T. (2008)
- Apathy - "Check to Check" from Honkey Kong (2011)
- Sean Price - "BBQ Sauce" and "By the Way" from Mic Tyson (2012)
- Włodi - T&T (2013)
- LMNO - After the Fact (2013)
- Schindehette, Susan. "Jana Taylor Gives New Focus to the Lives of Inner-City Kids". People.com. Retrieved 2015-05-22.
- [dead link]
- "Evidence "Cats & Dogs"". YouTube.com. 2011-08-19. Retrieved 2015-05-22.
- [dead link]
- "PodOmatic | Podcast - Conspiracy Worldwide Hip Hop Radio - [Part 1] *THE INDUSTRY PAIN SPECIAL* w/ live guests EVIDENCE - DILATED PEOPLES - SLAINE - MTV FIGHT KLUB CHAMPION NEMS". Conspiracyworldwide.podomatic.com. 2010-12-11. Retrieved 2015-05-22.
- Maxwell, Ryan. "Evidence Confirms New Solo Album". Hip-Hop Kings. Ryan Maxwell. Retrieved 2 August 2015.
- "Evidence - Chart history". Billboard.com. 2011-10-15. Retrieved 2015-05-22.
- Marisa Brown (1976-12-10). "Evidence | Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2015-05-22.
- "Evidence. on Twitter: "2013 will be Step Brothers & Dilated Peoples. 2014 will be next Ev solo. After that, I'm moving to the hills."". Twitter.com. 2012-12-14. Retrieved 2015-05-22.