Evil Spirits (album)
|Studio album by|
|Released||13 April 2018|
|Label||Search and Destroy, Spinefarm|
|The Damned chronology|
|Singles from Evil Spirits|
Evil Spirits is the eleventh studio album from the Damned. Released on 13 April 2018, it is their first album in ten years and was produced by famed producer Tony Visconti who is best known for his work with David Bowie. The album was largely crowdfunded by a successful PledgeMusic campaign.
Captain Sensible said of the album: "we deliberately recorded the album retro style, the same way our debut album was made, basically. There's something wonderful about the seventies sounds; glam, rock and punk records, they all sound so great and Tony specializes in beautifully crafted old school production. He had us all playing live, bashing it out in the same room with a focus on getting the initial band version of each song as close as possible to the finished thing."
The album received some of the best reviews in years for the Damned. Zachary Hoskins of Slant Magazine said "The Damned sounds like the same band they were 35 years ago. While it's admittedly hard not to miss the explosive presence of drummer Rat Scabies, Sensible's lashing power chords on "The Devil in Disguise" are a welcome reminder that this is still technically a punk band, and David Vanian's baritone has aged into a powerful growl reminiscent of latter-day Nick Cave. While Evil Spirits isn't a late-career masterpiece, Visconti's production chops have at least ensured a warm and rich listening experience." Ian Rushbury of PopMatters said Evil Spirits is a strong, weirdly timeless album. It's hard to pin this record down to a point in time – it certainly doesn't sound like 2018, but it sure as eggs are eggs doesn't sound like it's from 1978 either. It sounds like a band stretching out and having fun in a studio, under the watchful eye of someone who is accustomed to working with mavericks and outcasts." Evil Spirits is the Band's first album to make the top 10 on the United Kingdom's Official Charts, landing at #7.
- "Standing On the Edge of Tomorrow" (Vanian) – 4:10
- "Devil in Disguise" (Pinch/Beers) – 4:31
- "We're So Nice" (Sensible) – 4:09
- "Look Left" (Pinch/Priestley) – 4:43
- "Evil Spirits" (Sensible) – 3:54
- "Shadow Evocation" (Vanian/Oxymoron) – 4:10
- "Sonar Deceit" (Sensible) – 4:12
- "Procrastination" (Oxymoron/Sensible) – 3:50
- "Daily Liar" (Vanian/Sensible) – 5:55
- "I Don't Care" (Vanian) – 3:16
- Dave Vanian – vocals
- Captain Sensible – guitar
- Monty Oxy Moron – keyboards
- Paul Gray – bass
- Pinch – drums
- Crihss Coull – trumpet
- Kristeen Young – backing vocals
- Tony Visconti - backing vocals
|Irish Albums (IRMA)||88|
|Scottish Albums (OCC)||5|
|UK Albums (OCC)||7|
- Chris Roberts. "The Damned – Evil Spirits album review". Louder Sound. Retrieved 13 April 2018.
- Ian Rushbury. "The Last Punks Standing: The Damned Team With Bowie's Producer for 'Evil Spirits'". PopMatters. Retrieved 9 April 2018.
- Zachary Hoskins. "Evil Spirits". Slant Magazine. Retrieved 3 April 2018.
- "The Damned: Evil Spirits". PledgeMusic.
- "Listen to The Damned's new single as they announce first new album in 10 years - NME". nme.com. 22 January 2018.
- "Evil Spirits – The Damned – Songs, Reviews, Credits – AllMusic". AllMusic.
- Sherwin, Adam (20 April 2018). "Punk legends The Damned finally score first top ten album after 41 years". Retrieved 21 April 2018.
- Hits Daily Double (20 April 2018). "U.K. CHARTS: HARRIS & LIPA SET A RECORD". Retrieved 21 April 2018.
- "Irish Albums Chart: 20 April 2018". Irish Recorded Music Association. Retrieved 21 April 2018.
- "Official Scottish Albums Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 21 April 2018.
- "Official Albums Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 21 April 2018.