Fennefoss farm in Evje
|Created from||Evje og Vegusdal in 1877|
|Merged with||Evje og Hornnes in 1960|
Evje is a village and former municipality in Aust-Agder county, Norway. The village of Evje is the administrative center of the current municipality of Evje og Hornnes in the Setesdal valley region. The lake Høvringsvatnet is located about 10 kilometres (6.2 mi) northeast of the village.
The municipality (originally the parish) of Evje is named after an old Evje farm (Old Norse: Efja), since the first church was built there. The name is identical with the word efja which means "eddy".
The municipality of Evje was created by the split of the municipality of Evje og Vegusdal into Evje (population: 870) and Vegusdal (population: 935) on 1 January 1877. Then, on 1 January 1960, Evje (population: 1,646) was merged with Hornnes (population: 1,280) to form the new municipality of Evje og Hornnes.
- Torvald Haavardstad (1893–1965), Norwegian politician
- Helena Iren Michaelsen (1977- ), Norwegian rock singer
- Statistics Norway (1 January 2005). "Kart over tettsteder og sentrumsområder" (PDF).
- Statistics Norway (1 January 2008). "Figures on Evje og Hornnes Municipality".
- Rygh, Oluf (1905). Norske gaardnavne: Nedenes amt (in Norwegian) (8 ed.). Kristiania, Norge: W. C. Fabritius & sønners bogtrikkeri. p. 193.
- Jukvam, Dag (1999). "Historisk oversikt over endringer i kommune- og fylkesinndelingen" (PDF) (in Norwegian). Statistisk sentralbyrå.
- Aust-Agder travel guide from Wikivoyage