Evocation in popular culture
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Conjuration is used in many video games, mainly role-playing video games, where it is usually referred to as summoning.
- A notable example is the Final Fantasy franchise which incorporates summoning of monsters to fight alongside the characters.
- The Conjuror and Magician class of the EverQuest franchise are able to summon elementals to fight for them, as well as food, drink, and weapons to name a few.
- In the EverQuest franchise, Necromancers are able to summon undead to fight for them, but in EverQuest II, Necromancers can also summon such beasts as animated gargoyles, rats, hellhounds, and imps.
- In Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, the Druid class is able to conjure up elementals to fight for them.
- The Warlock class in World of Warcraft can summon demons and other players to aid them in combat. This was an extension of the original Warcraft RTS game where the Orc Warlock unit could summon Spiders (Minor Summoning) and the Daemon (Major Summoning), while the Human Conjurer unit could summon Scorpions (Minor Summoning) and the Water Elemental (Major Summoning). In addition, the Necrolyte unit was capable of summoning Skeletons if there happened to be any corpses in the vicinity.
- In Perfect World, the Venomancer class can tame world monsters and make them serve as pets which can be summoned to fight alongside them.
- The Conjurer class in the action role-playing game Nox can summon various animals and supernatural beings for use in combat. A Conjurer may also take control of these same creatures as they appear throughout the game.
- The MMORPG RuneScape has a summoning skill where players can summon various animals called familiars to aid them in many aspects of the game.
- In the PlayStation 2 video game Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3, the Protagonist summons demons called "Personas", using a tool shaped like a gun, shooting himself in the head.
- Conjuration is one of the skills a player can build up on in the single-player fantasy role-playing video game series The Elder Scrolls, which is one of the several magical skills and gives you the ability to spawn creatures from other realms, as well as weapons and armour.
- In Savage 2: A Tortured Soul the conjurer is a plant-like unit in the beast horde using natural powers to build and repair buildings as well as assisting other units in battle.
- In the MMORPG Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures the Demonologist class is capable of summoning and binding a demon to his or her service, while the necromancer is capable of summoning several undead minions (the exact number is dependent upon character level and feat specialization).
- In the MMORPG Guild Wars the Necromancer class is capable of summoning Undead creatures, the Ritualist class is capable of summoning spirits, both Offensive and Defensive and the Ranger class is capable of summoning spirits which affect an area's players(both hostile and allied) around them.
- In the game Kingdom Hearts, a player is allowed to summon a few Disney characters such as Simba from The Lion King and Mushu from Mulan.
- In the MMORPG Regnum Online the conjurer can heal companions and summon a creature named Zarkit
- Linley's Dungeon Crawl, a roguelike, and its branches, distinguish their spell schools differently: Conjurations consists of short-lived attack spells such as fireballs or lightning bolts, while Summonings spells summon creatures to fight for the caster. Evocation, on the other hand, refers to application or manipulation of a magical item, such as a wand or orb.