Nintendo 3DS boxart
Exstetra (エクステトラ Ekusutetora) is a Japanese role-playing video game developed by Studio Saizensen and published by FuRyu, developer of Unchained Blades and Last Bullet. It was released in Japan on November 7, 2013 for the Nintendo 3DS and PlayStation Vita.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (August 2013)
Exstetra is a traditional role-playing video game in the vein of the Tales series, except with a turn based battle system. Characters are able to transfer energy between one another via kissing. EXS energy is obtained by defeating monsters, and is used towards special techniques. Players are also able to upgrade their weapons and armor by 'enchanting' them, and abilities become stronger depending on how many times the gear has been enchanted. Enchantment stones are able to be purchased, but can also be obtained from defeated enemies.
The game's overall theme is "saving the world with a kiss". The main character, a male teenager called Ryoma, has the ability to "kiss", and, in effect, "absorb" energy from enemies, and use that energy to create "miracles". The game's setting has been described as a combination of an otherworldly fantasy land that was abruptly fused with one more like a "modern-day Tokyo", with the game depicting the repercussions of such an event.
The game was first announced in a May 2013 issue of Famitsu, as a new role-playing game by FuRyu, the creators of the game Unchained Blades. The game features artwork from Shining series artist Tony Taka and Star Ocean: The Last Hope artist Enami Katsumi, and the main theme by Kingdom Hearts and Radiant Historia composer Yoko Shimomura. The game's theme song is "With You" by J-pop music duo ClariS. Originally scheduled for release on October 17, 2013, due to delays the release date was postponed to November 7.
- Sunjun . July 26, 2013 . 11:00am. "Mizuki May Be The Only Person In Exstetra Who Willingly Kisses You". Siliconera. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- "Exstetra to hit 3DS and Vita in Japan this fall". Polygon. 2013-05-24. Retrieved 2013-05-30.
- Spencer . May 28, 2013 . 9:42pm (2013-05-21). "Unchained Blades Developer Working On 3DS And Vita RPG Called Exstetra". Siliconera. Retrieved 2013-05-30.
- Olivia Cottrell Contributor. "3DS News: Ex-Tetra announced for 3DS". Official Nintendo Magazine. Retrieved 2013-05-30.
- "Exstetra RPG announced for the Vita and 3DS". Japanator. 2006-03-16. Retrieved 2013-05-30.
- "International Videogame News". The Magic Box. 2013-05-21. Retrieved 2013-05-30.
- 2013-10-04, Exstetra’s Battle System Is Sealed With A Kiss, Siliconera
- Eugene (21 October 2013). "Kissing RPG Exstetra Lets Your Characters Level Up, But Not By Smooching". Siliconera. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- "Exstetra delayed, Mizuki introduced in latest trailer". Capsule Computers. 2012-01-24. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- "XSEED unlikely to localize UnchainBlades EXXiV, Digimon World Re:Digitize Decode, Exstetra". Nintendo Everything. 2013-09-05. Retrieved 2013-09-19.
- "Famitsu Review Scores: Issue 1300". Gematsu. Retrieved 12 September 2016.
- Official website(in Japanese)