Expasy is a on-line bioinformatics resource operated by the SIB Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics. It is an extensible and integrative portal which provides access to over 160 databases and software tools and supporting a range of life science and clinical research areas, from genomics, proteomics and structural biology, to evolution and phylogeny, systems biology and medical chemistry. The individual resources (databases, web-based and downloadable software tools) are hosted in a decentralised way by different groups of the SIB Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics and partner institutions.
Queries of Expasy allow:
- parallel searches SIB databases through a single search
- aggregated search results from the complete set of >160 resources accessible from the portal.
Expasy provides up-to-date information from the most recent release of each resources.
Expasy was created in August 1993. Originally, it was called ExPASy (Expert Protein Analysis System) and acted as a proteomics server to analyze protein sequences and structures and two-dimensional gel electrophoresis (2-D Page electrophoresis). Among others, ExPASy hosted the protein sequence knowledgebase, UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot, and its computer annotated supplement, UniProtKB/TrEMBL, before these moved to the UniProt website.
ExPASy was one of the first website of the life sciences and among the 150 very first websites in the world. As of 5 April 2007[update], ExPASy had been consulted 1 billion times since its installation on 1 August 1993.
In June 2011, it became the SIB ExPASy Bioformatics Resources Portal: a diverse catalogue of bioinformatics resources developed by SIB Groups. The current version of Expasy was released in October 2020.
Notes and references
- "SIB Resources". www.sib.swiss. Retrieved 27 October 2020.
- Ison J, Kalas M, Jonassen I, Bolser D, Uludag M, McWilliam H, et al. (May 2013). "EDAM: an ontology of bioinformatics operations, types of data and identifiers, topics and formats". Bioinformatics. 29 (10): 1325–32. doi:10.1093/bioinformatics/btt113. PMC 3654706. PMID 23479348.
- Gasteiger E, Gattiker A, Hoogland C, Ivanyi I, Appel RD, Bairoch A (July 2003). "ExPASy: The proteomics server for in-depth protein knowledge and analysis". Nucleic Acids Research. 31 (13): 3784–8. doi:10.1093/nar/gkg563. PMC 168970. PMID 12824418.
- ExPASy: SIB Bioinformatics Resource Portal
- Artimo P, Jonnalagedda M, Arnold K, Baratin D, Csardi G, de Castro E, et al. (July 2012). "ExPASy: SIB bioinformatics resource portal". Nucleic Acids Research. 40 (Web Server issue): W597-603. doi:10.1093/nar/gks400. PMC 3394269. PMID 22661580.
- "Discover the new Expasy.org, the Swiss Bioinformatics Resource Portal". www.sib.swiss. Retrieved 26 October 2020.