An examination board (or exam board) is an organization that sets examinations, is responsible for marking them, and distributes results. Some are run by governmental entities; some are run as not-for-profit organizations.
- 1 List of national examination boards
- 1.1 Australia
- 1.2 Hong Kong
- 1.3 Philippines
- 1.4 Poland
- 1.5 United Kingdom
- 1.6 Singapore
- 1.7 United States
- 1.8 Caribbean
- 1.9 Africa
- 2 References
List of national examination boards
- Examinations in Australia are set by individual state authorities.
- In Victoria, examinations are set by the Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority.
- In South Australia, examinations are set by the SACE Board of SA, which also administers the South Australian Matriculation in certain schools in Malaysia and China.
- In New South Wales, examinations are set by the Board of Studies.
- Hong Kong Examinations and Assessment Authority is responsible for the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education Examination.
- The Professional Regulation Commission is the instrument of the Filipino people in securing for the nation a reliable, trustworthy and progressive system of developing professionals whose personal integrity and spiritual values are solid and respected, whose competencies are globally competitive, and whose commitment to serve the Filipino nation and the whole community is strong and steadfast. For a comprehensive database of examination results by the PRC, you may visit the PRC Official Website.
There is one state run central system of examination boards in Poland called "Centralna Komisja Egzaminacyjna" ("Central Examination Board") established within the new legislation on education issued by Polish parliament in 1998. The central board has eight regional branches called "Okręgowa Komisja Egzaminacyjna" (OKE) - "Regional Examination Board". All primary and secondary schools and other education institutions in a region are served by the regional OKE. Universities are not part of that system. It is allowed by law to sit an exam in other regional board than the home one, but practically it does not happen.
Each OKE is responsible for the content and administration of the entrance tests to primary schools, Gymnasiums and secondary schools in accordance to the Ministry of Education annual guidelines. Final secondary school examination called Matura (analogous to A Levels) is prepared each year by the Ministry of Education and administered by regional examiners, who are recruited, trained and paid by regional OKE boards. Each regional OKE has an authority to issue an official certificate of an examination.
England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Traditionally, schools were restricted to one of a large number of regional examination boards, but now they can use any (though few outside Northern Ireland choose to use the Belfast-based CCEA). Furthermore, a number of boards have merged making a much lower number overall.
- Singapore Examinations and Assessment Board, which is a statutory board under the Ministry of Education (MOE) of Singapore.
Primary and secondary school tests are generally administered by the state boards of education - or in the case of private schools, private organizations whose affiliations align with those of the school. Tertiary school entrance qualifications and vocational qualifications are provided by other organizations.
- College Board - administers the SAT Reasoning Test, SAT Subject Tests, PSAT/NMSQT, Advanced Placement exams, and College Level Examination Program, developed by the Educational Testing Service
- ACT, Inc - administers the American College Test
- Educational Testing Service - administers the Graduate Record Examination and Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- Law School Admission Council - administers the Law School Admission Test
- American Association of Medical Colleges - administers the Medical College Admission Test
- National Association of State Boards of Accountancy - administers the Uniform Certified Public Accountant Examination, developed and maintained by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Caribbean Examinations Council (administers various examinations across the Anglophone Caribbean)
Ghana, Liberia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, and the Gambia
- West African Examinations Council (administers the WASSCE)
- Cameroon GCE Board (administers the GCE O and A Levels)
- Examinations Council of Zambia - sets and conduct examinations and, award certificates to successful candidates.
- Zimbabwe School Examinations Council - administers the ZIMSEC GCE Ordinary Level and ZIMSEC GCE Advanced Level Examinations.