|Stable release||10.5 MP1 / March 17, 2015|
|Written in||Modula-2, Oberon-2, Java, Scala, C++, Assembly|
|Operating system||Windows, OS X and Linux|
|Platform||IA-32 and AMD64|
|Type||Ahead-of-Time (AOT) native code compiler, runtime, and deployment toolkit for Java applications|
Excelsior JET is a proprietary Java SE technology implementation built around an ahead-of-time (AOT) Java to native code compiler. The compiler transforms the portable Java bytecode into optimized executables for the desired hardware and operating system (OS). Also included are a Java runtime featuring a just-in-time (JIT) compiler for handling classes that were not precompiled for whatever reason (e.g. third-party plugins or dynamic proxies), the complete Java SE API implementation licensed from Oracle, and a toolkit to aid deployment of the optimized applications.
Excelsior JET has passed the "official" test suite (TCK) for Java SE 7, and is certified Java Compatible on OS X and a number of Windows and Linux flavors running on Intel x86, AMD64/Intel 64 and compatible hardware. (The OS X version is 64-bit only.)
The Enterprise Edition supports the Equinox OSGi runtime at the JVM level, enabling ahead-of-time compilation of Eclipse RCP (Rich Client Platform) applications, and version 7.0 added such support for Web applications running on Apache Tomcat.
Version 10.5 introduced a new garbage collector optimized for multi-core and multi-CPU systems
- "Java SE Licensees". Oracle Corporation. Retrieved 17 Jul 2012.
- Craig Wickesser (23 Jul 2009). "Commercial Java Compiler Protects Eclipse RCP Applications". InfoQ.
- Dana Blankenhorn (1 Aug 2008). "Excelsior JET from Russia, with love". ZDNet. Retrieved 22 May 2012.
- Brittain, Jason; Darwin, Ian F. "Section A.7. Excelsior JET". Tomcat: The Definitive Guide (Second ed.). O'Reilly Media, Inc. ISBN 978-0-596-10106-0.
- Cameron McKenzie (20 Apr 2010). "Forget the JOP. Just Compile Your Tomcat War Files into Native Code". TheServerSide. Retrieved 22 May 2012.
- William Wong (23 Jul 2012). "Java Tool Slims Down Embedded Runtime". Electronic Design.
- John K. Waters (11 Feb 2015). "JET Update Amps Garbage Collection". Application Development Trends.