Exclusive economic zone of Portugal
Portugal's exclusive economic zone
- Continental Portugal 327,667 km2
- Azores Islands 953,633 km2
- Madeira Islands 446,108 km2
- Total: 1,727,408 km2
Portugal submitted a claim to extend its jurisdiction over additional 2.15 million square kilometers of the neighboring continental shelf in May 2009., resulting in a marine territory of more than 3,877,408 km2.
Dispute with Spain
Spain disputes the EEZ's southern border, maintaining that it should be drawn halfway between Madeira and the Canary Islands. Portugal exercises sovereignty over the Savage Islands, a small archipelago north of the Canaries, hence claiming an EEZ border further south. Spain objects, arguing that the Savage Islands do not have a separate continental shelf, citing article 121 of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea. On the basis of this article, Spain claims the Savage Islands are not islands, but instead uninhabitable rocks. The Savage Islands are a protected Portuguese natural reserve, and thus its year-round inhabitants are workers of Madeira Natural Park who look over the isolated natural reserve, protecting its wildlife. Over the years, the Portuguese authorities have seized some Spanish fishing boats around the area for illegal fishing.
- Seaaroundus.org Archived 2006-12-29 at the Wayback Machine.
- Portugal applies to UN to Extend Its Continental Shelf Zone. Accessed 3 July 2011
- Lacleta Muñoz, José Manuel: "Las fronteras de España en el mar". Documentos de trabajo 34-2004, Real Instituto Elcano
- United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea, Part VIII, Article 121
- Carvalho, Luis and Leitão, Nuno, A Noção "Estratégica" das Ilhas Selvagens (in Portuguese) Archived 2008-02-23 at the Wayback Machine.
- United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea - Part V
- Sea Around Us Project - View the EEZ of all nations (Note that this site does not distinguish between territorial waters and the EEZ, and so tends to overstate EEZ areas.)
- Task Group for the extension of the Continental Shelf map
- GIS data at VLIZ Maritime Boundaries Geodatabase