Executive Council (Democratic Federation of Northern Syria)
المجلس التنفيذي للفيدرالية
Encûmena Rêvebir a Federaliyê
ܡܘܬܒܐ ܣܘܥܪܢܝܐ ܕܦܕܪܐܠܝܘܬܐ
|Term length||4 years, no term limit|
|Inaugural holder||Ishow Gowriye|
Cemal Şêx Baqî
|This article is part of a series on the|
politics and government of
Democratic Federation of Northern Syria
The Executive Council (Arabic: المجلس التنفيذي للفيدرالية, Kurdish: Encûmena Rêvebir a Federaliyê, Classical Syriac: ܡܘܬܒܐ ܣܘܥܪܢܝܐ ܕܦܕܪܐܠܝܘܬܐ, translit. Mawtbo Suronoyo d'Federaloyotho) of the Democratic Federal System of Northern Syria, acts as a joint coordination committee that oversees the implementation of policies developed by the Federal Assembly of the Syrian Democratic Council.
- 1 Origins and history of the Executive Council
- 2 Operation of the Executive Council
- 3 Members of the Executive Council
- 4 References
Origins and history of the Executive Council
Origins of the institution
The ministers are appointed; general elections were planned to be held before the end of 2014, but this was postponed due to fighting. 
Among other stipulations outlined is a quota of 40% for women’s participation in government, as well as another quota for youth. In connection with a decision to introduce affirmative action for ethnic minorities, all governmental organizations and offices are based on a co-presidential system.
Restructuring of the DFNS executive in the autumn of 2018
After the creation on September 6 of the new unified administration in the areas controlled by the SDF, "Autonomous Administration of North, East Syria", Mrs. Berivan Khalid (or Khaled) and Abdul Hamid al-Mahbash were elected co-chairmans of Executive Body of the Administration.
In the first meeting of the Executive Council held on 3 October 2018 in Ain Issa town, the co-chairs of the nine Authorities of the Executive Council were elected:
Interior Committee: Ali Mustafa Hajo (علي مصطفى حجو) – Hevi(Hifi) Ibrahim Mustafa (هيفي ابراهيم مصطفى)
Education Committee: Kawthar Doko (Kuthar Duku, كوثر دوكو) - Rajab al-Meshlaf (رجب المشلف)
Local Administration Committee: Joseph(Juzif) Lahdo (جوزيف لحدو) - Media Bozan (Maydia Bouzan, ميديا بوزان)
Economics and Agriculture Committee: Salman Tawfiq al-Baroudo (سلمان توفيق البارودو) - Amal al-Khazim (أمل الخزيم)
Finance Committee: Walat Haj Ali (ولات حاج علي) - Salwa al-Sayid (سلوى السيد)
Culture Committee: Abdul Satar Shakagi (عبدالستار شكاغي) - Aisha Ali Rajab (عائشة علي رجب)
Health and Environment Committee: Dr. Jwan Mustafa (الدكتور جوان مصطفى) – Khetam Khalil al-Jeld (ختام خليل الجلد)
Social Affairs Committee: Farouq al-Mashi (فاروق الماشي) - Berivan Hasan (بيريفان حسن)
Women's Committee: Jihan Khadro (جيهان خضرو)
Sometime later (first publications in December), the former official spokeswoman of "Wrath of the Euphrates" campaign Jihan Sheikh Ahmed was elected co-chair of the Defense Committee, one of two special offices of the Executive Council (the second is the self-defense committee), whose forming was assumed shortly after the creation of the initial nine committees.
At the moment, it remains unclear whether the new administrative structure will completely replace the old one or it will only complement it.
Operation of the Executive Council
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (September 2016)
Decisions and responsibilities
The Council assists with coordination and collaboration between cantons in political, economic, social and cultural matters; partliciary that of diplomatic and military matters. It also supervises and follows the work of federal Departments and Ministries.
Members of the Executive Council
The current members of the Executive Council are:
|Ishow Gowriye||Syriac Union Party (SUP)||TEV-DEM/LND||Jazira||Minister of Religious Affairs|
|Meram Dawûd||Honor and Rights Convention||N/A||N/A|
|Îbrahîm El-Hesen||Tel Abyad Turkmen Representative||N/A||Euphrates|
|Rojîn Remo||Yekîtiya Star||TEV-DEM/LND||N/A||Minister of Women and Family Affairs|
|Hikmet Hebîb||Arab National Coalition||TEV-DEM/LND||N/A|
|Bêrîvan Ehmed||Youth's Representative||N/A||N/A||Minister of Youth and Sport|
|Cemal Şêx Baqî||Kurdistan Democratic Party of Syria (PDK-S)||HNKS||N/A|
|Salih El-Nebwanî||Law–Citizenship–Rights Movement (QMH)||N/A||N/A|
- "Striking out on their own". The Economist.
- "Western Kurdistan's Governmental Model Comes Together". The Rojava Report. Retrieved 18 February 2015.
- "Berivan Khalid: Rules of procedure's draft of bodies to be completed within next 10 days". Hawar News Agency.
- "Final statement of Autonomous Administration of North, East Syria". Hawar News Agency.
- "Who are co-chairs of DAA bodies of north, east Syria?". Hawar News Agency.
- "تعرف على الرؤساء المشتركين لهيئات الإدارة الذاتية لشمال وشرق سوريا" (in Arabic).
- "Administrations in northern and eastern Syria will continue their work and the Executive Board links between them". Hawar News Agency (in Arabic).
- "Senior Syrian Kurdish official calls on US to implement no-fly zone to protect Kurds from Turkey". Kurdistan 24.
- "German delegation visits the headquarters of the self-governing bodies to see the experience of women". Hawar News Agency (in Arabic).
- "Executive Board of Democratic Syria Assembly elected". Ajansa Nûçeyan a Firatê. 13 December 2015. Archived from the original on 20 December 2015. Retrieved 28 March 2016.