Executive Council of New Brunswick
|Formed||8 October 2014|
|Parent department||Government of New Brunswick|
Almost always made up of members of the Legislative Assembly of New Brunswick, the Cabinet is similar in structure and role to the Cabinet of Canada while being smaller in size. As federal and provincial responsibilities differ there are a number of different portfolios between the federal and provincial governments.
The Lieutenant-Governor of New Brunswick, as representative of the Queen in Right of New Brunswick, appoints the council which advises him on the governance of the province, and is referred to as the Lieutenant-Governor in Council. Members of the Cabinet, who advise, or minister, the viceroy, are recommended by the Premier of New Brunswick and appointed by the Lieutenant-Governor. Most cabinet ministers are the head of a ministry, but this is not always the case.
As at the federal level the most important Cabinet post after that of the leader is Minister of Finance. Today the next most powerful position is certainly the health portfolio which has a vast budget and is of central political import. Other powerful porfolios include Education, Family & Community Services, Natural Resources and Transportation.
- Cabinet as of September 23, 2013
- Cabinet as of October 9, 2012
- Cabinet as of March 15, 2012
- Cabinet as of October 12, 2010
- Cabinet as of May 10, 2010
- Cabinet as of January 4, 2010
- Cabinet as of June 22, 2009
- Cabinet as of November 12, 2008
- Cabinet as of October 31, 2007
- Cabinet as of October 3, 2006
- Cabinet as of February 14, 2006
- Cabinet as of June 27, 2003
- Cabinet as of October 9, 2001
- Cabinet as of March 23, 2000
- Cabinet as of June 21, 1999