Executive Order 13535
Executive Order 13535 is an executive order announced by President Barack Obama on March 21, 2010, and signed on March 24. It reinforces a commitment to preservation of the Hyde Amendment's policy restricting federal funds for abortion within the context of recent health care legislation. The order was signed after an agreement with pro-life Democratic Congressman Bart Stupak, who had said he and several other pro-life Democrats in the House of Representatives would not support the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act unless the Bill's language prohibiting federal funding of abortions was strengthened.
The executive order was condemned as ineffective by major pro-life organizations, including the Susan B. Anthony List, the National Right to Life Committee, the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, Family Research Council, the American Family Association, Focus on the Family, and Americans United for Life, among others. The organizations said executive orders can be rescinded at any time by any administration. They also said the fact that an executive order was needed proves that the health care law did fund abortion. The National Right to Life Committee said the executive order did not correct seven provisions in the law they identified as objectionable.
Pro-choice groups also condemned the executive order, questioning Obama's commitment to the pro-choice position. The National Organization for Women, Planned Parenthood, NARAL Pro-Choice America, and EMILY's List were among pro-choice groups opposing the executive order.
- Shear, Michael D. (March 24, 2010), "Obama signs executive order on abortion out of sight of media glare", The Washington Post, Retrieved March 24, 2010
- "White House Defends Abortion-related Executive Order, Even as Obama Signs it" Archived 2010-03-27 at the Wayback Machine, Fox News, March 24, 2010, Retrieved March 24, 2010
- "Obama issues executive order on abortion", UPI.com, March 21, 2010, Retrieved March 21, 2010
- Montgomery, Lori & Murray, Shailagh (March 21, 2010) "In deal with Stupak, White House announces executive order on abortion", The Washington Post, Retrieved March 21, 2010
- "Choice, Life Groups Slam Obama Order on Abortion Funding", Fox News, Mar. 21, 2010
- "President Obama Signs Executive Order on Abortion". PBS NewsHour. 24 March 2010. Retrieved 2019-08-27.
- Rep. Randy Neugebauer: I yelled 'baby killer' during Rep. Bart Stupak's speech
- Stupak: From Prolife Groups' Hero to Villain 'In a Nanosecond'
- Pro-Life Leader Charmaine Yoest: Stupak Deal 'A Tragedy for America'
- "Statement by the National Right to Life Committee on abortion "deal" on health care legislation". Archived from the original on 2011-05-15. Retrieved 2011-05-23. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Statement of Cecile Richards, President of PPFA, on House Passing Historic Health Care Reform Bill
- NOW, NARAL displeased with Obama-Stupak deal
- It's back: Abortion debate reignites
|Wikisource has original text related to this article:|