Exhibition Road is a street in South Kensington, London which is home to several major museums and academic establishments, including the Victoria and Albert Museum, the Science Museum and the Natural History Museum.
It provides access to many nationally significant institutions, including the Victoria and Albert Museum, the Science Museum, Natural History Museum (which incorporates the former Geological Museum), the Royal Geographical Society, Imperial College London (directly and via Imperial College Road), Pepperdine University Abroad and Jagiellonian University Abroad. The London Goethe Institute and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints meeting house are also located on Exhibition Road.
A design competition for plans of how to improve the street's design to reflect its cultural importance was held in 2003 by the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. The competition was won by the architectural firm Dixon and Jones for a shared space scheme for the road and surrounding streets which would give pedestrians greater priority whilst still allow some vehicular traffic at a reduced speed. The project also aimed to improve the artistic and architectural merit of the streetscape, and clearly draws inspiration from the work of Gordon Cullen's Townscape. The scheme was completed ahead of the 2012 London Olympics.
Looking north prior to implementation of shared space scheme with the Science Museum in the distance
The Natural History Museum from Exhibition Road
- Cromwell Gardens
- Cromwell Road
- Imperial College Road
- Museum Lane
- Museum Mile
- Thurloe Place
- Prince Consort Road
- "Albertopolis: 2012 Map of Dixon Jones scheme". RIBA. Retrieved 2010-12-18.
- "The Exhibition Road Project". Official Site.
- Rowan Moore (29 January 2012). "Exhibition Road, London – review". The Guardian.
- "The Exhibition Road Project". RBKC. Retrieved 2008-09-30.
- "Albertopolis: 2012 Architect's impressions". RIBA. Retrieved 2010-12-18.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Exhibition Road.|
- Albertopolis: South Kensington from above History, architecture and future plans, from the Royal Institute of British Architects
- A Vision for Exhibition Road: A Space for the New Century and Exhibition Road Trail from the Victoria and Albert Museum
- Exhibition Road is reborn from the Evening Standard, dated 27 March 2008
- Discover South Kensington activities and cultural events
- Road users mingle in naked scheme from the BBC, dated 6 January 2005