Exhibition railway station, Brisbane
Eastbound view in August 2012
|Location||O'Connell Terrace, Bowen Hills|
|Owned by||Queensland Rail|
|Operated by||City network|
|Distance||3.63 kilometres from Central|
|Platforms||3 (2 side, 1 dock)|
|Station code||600011 (platform 1)
600003 (platform 2)
600004 (platform 3)
|Fare zone||go card 1|
Exhibition railway station is located on the Exhibition line in Queensland, Australia. It serves the Brisbane Exhibition Ground in Bowen Hills and is normally only opened during the Ekka show each August.
Previously an extra ticket surcharge had to be paid to travel to the station. In 2009, TransLink CEO Peter Strachan blamed the surcharge on the Royal National Agricultural & Industrial Association not willing to pick up the cost of running the station. The surcharge was removed in 2012.
Because of the requirements of the Show, the station is equipped with facilities for dealing with livestock. The line passing through the station is regularly used by trains traveling between Roma Street station and Mayne depot.
- O'Malley, Brendan (9 August 2005). "Ekka train commuters taken for a ride". The Courier-Mail.
- Lion, Patrick (1 August 2008). "Ekka station? Sorry, you need an extra ticket". The Courier-Mail.
- Robinson, Georgina (1 August 2008). "Train Travellers Taken for Ekka Ride". Brisbane Times.
- Jensen, Torny (17 July 2009). "TransLink slams Ekka rail shame". mX.
- Fare Overhaul for Brisbane Ekka Australasian Bus & Coach 19 July 2012