|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Executive Editor||Mustapha Safadieh|
|Former editors||Hajer Mirwali|
|Categories||Arts and Literature|
|Circulation||300-copy print run|
|First issue||October 1978|
|Based in||Vanier College at York University, Toronto, Ontario|
|Language||English. Others on occasion.|
Existere - Journal of Arts & Literature is a Canadian magazine, that publishes twice a year at York University's Vanier College in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The magazine publishes literary work, poetry, short stories, articles, book reviews, essays, interviews, art, photography, and more from contributors around the world.
History and Affiliation
The magazine's current publisher and past executive editor is Edward Fenner (as of April 26, 2007). Mr. Fenner, a Vanier College Fellow, revived the journal and began releasing new issues semi-annually beginning in September 2007.
The magazine's current executive editor is Mustapha Safadieh. He replaces Hajer Mirwali.
The journal was established at York University's Vanier College and has been funded by Vanier College Council since the journal was founded in 1978. It has largely published as a quarterly, but in recent years has published bi-annually.
Call For Back Issues
Existere is also on a campaign to recover information and back issues lost to the mists of time and unfortunate housekeeping. If you have information or back issues to contribute, contact: existere(at)yorku(dot)ca or via snail mail to: Existere, Vanier College 101E, York University, 4700 Keele Street, Toronto, ON, Canada, M3J 1P3
Noteworthy writers and poets that have appeared on Existere pages or who have edited the journal:
- adebe d.a. (Canadian poet, former Junior Poet Laureate for the City of Toronto, 2010 Dylan Thomas Prize long-list nominee, and past editor of Existere)
- Barry Dempster (Canadian poet and novelist based in Holland Landing, Ontario)
- Carole Langille (American-born Canadian poet and writer in Atlantic Canada). She was nominated for the Governor General's Award in 1997)
- David Lomax (Scottish-born Canadian novelist, educator and past editor of Existere  based in Toronto, Ontario) Winner of the East York/Scarborough Reading Association's 2006 Reader of the Year Award.
- bpNichol (late Canadian poet, concrete poet, teacher, and writer in many genres). His poem Lament appeared in Existere in 1982)
- Michael Redhill (American-born Canadian poet, playwright, current publisher & editor of Brick, A Literary Journal in Canada, and 2007 Man Booker Prize longlisted novelist)
- Jacob Scheier (Canadian poet and winner of the 2008 Governor General's Award for English poetry)
- Susan Swan (Canadian author and (now retired) professor at York University in Toronto)
- Priscilla Uppal (Canadian poet, novelist, and professor of literature and creative writing at York University in Toronto)
- Myna Wallin (Canadian poet, prose writer, radio host, and poetry editor for Tightrope Books)
- Zachariah Wells (Canadian poet, anthologist, editor, critic). His poems "Starfish Song," "Atum" and "In Praise of the African Naked Mole Rat" appeared in 2006.
- Existere official website