Expanded Universe (book)
First Edition cover for Expanded Universe
|Author||Robert A. Heinlein|
|Media type||Print (hardback & paperback)|
|LC Class||PS3515.E288 E96|
Expanded Universe, The New Worlds of Robert A. Heinlein is a 1980 collection of stories and essays by American writer Robert A. Heinlein. The trade paperback 1981 edition lists the subtitle under other Heinlein books as More Worlds of Robert A. Heinlein because the contents subsume the 1966 Ace Books collection, The Worlds of Robert A. Heinlein. The current volume is dedicated to William Targ.
The book collects many short stories and essays, with a foreword for each. They are:
- "Life-Line" (*)
- "Successful Operation"
- "Blowups Happen" (*)
- "Solution Unsatisfactory" (*)
- "The Last Days of the United States"
- "How to Be a Survivor"
- "Pie from the Sky"
- "They Do It with Mirrors"
- "Free Men" (*)
- "No Bands Playing, No Flags Flying"
- "A Bathroom of Her Own"
- "On the Slopes of Vesuvius"
- "Nothing Ever Happens on the Moon"
- "Pandora's Box" (*)
- "Where To?" (1950, 1965, 1980)
- "Cliff and the Calories"
- "Ray Guns and Rocket Ships"
- "The Third Millennium Opens"
- "Who Are the Heirs of Patrick Henry?"
- "Pravda Means Truth"
- "Inside Intourist"
- "Searchlight" (*)
- "The Pragmatics of Patriotism"
- "Paul Dirac, Antimatter, and You"
- "Larger than Life", a memoir in tribute to E. E. "Doc" Smith
- "Spinoff", about NASA spinoff technologies
- "The Happy Days Ahead"
- The six items marked with (*) appeared in The Worlds of Robert A. Heinlein.
- Don D'Ammassa (2005). Encyclopedia of Science Fiction. Infobase Publishing. p. 183. ISBN 978-0-8160-5924-9.
- Heinlein, Robert A. (January 21, 2015). Robert Heinlein's Expanded Universe: Volume One. Phoenix Pick. ISBN 978-1612422381.
- Heinlein, Robert A. (March 16, 2015). Robert Heinlein's Expanded Universe: Volume Two. Phoenix Pick. ISBN 978-1612422404.
- Expanded Universe title listing at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- Expanded Universe at Open Library
|This article about a science fiction book is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|