|Rural Municipality||Lake Johnston|
|Post office Founded (Lake Johnston)||1908-09-01|
|Post office renamed Expanse||1912-05-01|
|• Reeve||Ivan Costley|
|• Administrator||Sherry Green|
|• Governing body||Lake Johnston No. 102|
|• MP||David L. Anderson|
|• MLA||Wayne Elhard|
|• Total||0 km2 (0 sq mi)|
|• Density||0/km2 (0/sq mi)|
|Postal code||S0H 3G0|
Expanse, Saskatchewan is an unincorporated area in the rural municipality of Lake Johnston No. 102, in the Canadian province of Saskatchewan. Expanse is located just to the south of Old Wives Lake on a grid road. The grid connects to Highway 2 near Ardill in south central Saskatchewan. Just to the south of Highway 2 is Lake of the Rivers. Expanse is too small to be enumerated as a separate entity during the census taking, so it was a part of the population given for rural municipality Lake Johnston No. 102.
The post office was formed on September 1, 1908, under the name Lake Johnston with postmaster Frank E. Crosby and was located at Sec.12, Twp.12, R.29, W of the 2nd meridian. A. S. MacDonald was the successor on May 1, 1912, and the post office now changed names to Expanse.
Taken from the town's Historical marker, erected in 1994 by the Rural municipality of Johnston Lake and the Saskatchewan History & Folklore Society Inc.:
Canadian Pacific Railway purchased the townsite in 1911 and named it Expanse. Incorporated as a Village in 1912, the first village meeting was held January 7, 1913. Expanse was the fifth town on the C.P.R. line south of the City of Moose Jaw. It was the end of the C.P.R. track for the south part of the Province from July 1912 until 1914. As an “end of Track” Boom Town, homesteaders got supplies and brought grain to Expanse from as far south as the United States Border. The Village of Expanse was disorganized as a village in 1935.
Sites of interest
Two nearby conservation areas;
- Old Wives Lake Bird Sanctuary (Refuge d'oiseaux du lac Old Wives)
- Isle of Bays Wildlife Refuge are both located within 16 km 10 mi north of Expanse.
- Lat (DMS) 49° 59' 00" N
- Long (DMS) 105° 51' 00" W
- Dominion Land Survey Section 12 - Township 12 - Range 29 West of the 2nd Meridian
- Time zone (cst) UTC−6
- Lake Johnston No. 102
- National Archives, Archivia Net, Post Offices and Postmasters, archived from the original on 2006-10-06
- Government of Saskatchewan, MRD Home, Municipal Directory System, archived from the original on July 28, 2007
- Canadian Textiles Institute (2005), CTI Determine your provincial constituency, archived from the original on 2007-09-11
- Commissioner of Canada Elections, Chief Electoral Officer of Canada (2005), Elections Canada On-line, archived from the original on 2007-04-21
Lake Johnston—Sutton Historical Society; ISBN 0-88925-089-8 WebPAC PRO © Innovative Interfaces, Inc., University of Saskatchewan Online Library Database, retrieved 2007-08-06
- Post Offices and Postmasters - ArchiviaNet - Library and Archives Canada
- Stock Photograph of The Lone Building Left In The Ghost Town Of Expanse