Type of site
|Launched||July 16, 2001|
Expedia Inc. is an online travel agency owned by Expedia Group, an American online travel shopping company based in Seattle.[verification needed] The website and mobile app can be used to book airline tickets, hotel reservations, car rentals, cruise ships, and vacation packages.
In December 2010, listings for AMR Corporation, the parent company of American Airlines and American Eagle Airlines, were deleted from Expedia's site. The decision resulted from a dispute over the degree of access to the site's customers. AMR reversed its decision in April 2011, allowing tickets to once again be sold through the aggregate site.
Controversies and Criticism
In February 2019, TechCrunch reported that the Expedia mobile app in the iOS App Store was using session-replay functionality from Israeli firm Glassbox, to record users' activities and send the data to Expedia servers without users' informed consent, compromising users' privacy and contravening the rules of the iOS App Store.
Involvement in Israeli settlements
On 12 February 2020, the United Nations published a database of all business enterprises involved in certain specified activities related to the Israeli settlements in the Occupied Palestinian Territories, including East Jerusalem, and in the occupied Golan Heights. Expedia and its parent company, Expedia Group, have been listed on the database in light of its involvement in activities related to "the provision of services and utilities supporting the maintenance and existence of settlements".
- "Expedia ofrece a las aerolíneas la opción de reservar hoteles en sus webs". TecnoHotel (in Spanish). 2021-04-29. Retrieved 2021-07-29.
- "Google lanza una ofensiva contra Booking y Expedia". Noticias de turismo REPORTUR (in Spanish). 2021-03-10. Retrieved 2021-07-29.
- "Why is Expedia Called Expedia? | Rewind & Capture". www.rewindandcapture.com. Retrieved 2017-12-04.
- Microsoft Announces Expedia Online Travel Service Initial Public Offering
- "The Man Who Escaped Microsoft and Took a Whole Company With Him". WIRED. Retrieved 2017-12-04.
- "Expedia.com USA Networks, Inc., Announces Agreement to Purchase Controlling Stake in Expedia, Becoming a Leader in Interactive Travel (press release)". Expedia Viewfinder. 2001-07-16. Retrieved 2016-03-24.
- The CNN Wire Staff (January 3, 2011). "Online travel site Expedia removes American Airlines flights". CNN. Retrieved 14 May 2014.
- writer, By Aaron Smith, staff. "American Airlines reforms partnership with Expedia – Apr. 5, 2011". money.cnn.com. Retrieved 2017-12-27.
- Expedia Now Accepts Bitcoin For Your Crypto-Vacations
- Whittaker, Zack (2019-02-06). "Many popular iPhone apps secretly record your screen without asking". TechCrunch. Archived from the original on 2019-02-06. Retrieved 2019-02-08.
- Clover, Juli. "Some Popular iPhone Apps Secretly Record Your Screen for Analytics Purposes". MacRumors. Archived from the original on 2019-02-06. Retrieved 2019-02-08.
- "UN rights office issues report on business activities related to settlements in the Occupied Palestinian Territory". Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights. 12 February 2020. Retrieved 5 July 2021.
- "Database of all business enterprises involved in certain activities relating to Israeli settlements in East Jerusalem and the West Bank (A/HRC/43/71)". ReliefWeb. 14 February 2020. Retrieved 5 July 2021.
- "UN lists 112 businesses linked to Israeli settlements". BBC. 12 February 2020. Retrieved 5 July 2021.
- Alexander, Todd (2012). Everyday Internet at Any Age. Hachette UK. Chapter 8. ISBN 978-0-7336-2971-6. Retrieved 14 May 2014.
- Barr, Alistair (January 21, 2014). "Expedia hit by big drop in Google search traffic". USA Today. Retrieved 14 May 2014.
- Tims, Anna (March 29, 2014). "Expedia needs to speed up £2,500 refund for flights". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 14 May 2014.