Expelled from Paradise
|Expelled from Paradise|
Theatrical release poster.
|Directed by||Seiji Mizushima|
|Produced by||Kouichi Noguchi|
|Screenplay by||Gen Urobuchi|
|Edited by||Masato Yoshitake|
Expelled from Paradise (Japanese: 楽園追放 Hepburn: Rakuen Tsuihō) is a 2014 Japanese Anime science fiction film. The film is directed by Seiji Mizushima, with a screenplay written by Gen Urobuchi, produced by Toei Animation and animated by Graphinica, and distributed by T-Joy in cooperation with Toei Company.
The film had its first public showing in Europe at the Swedish anime-convention ConFusion on December 11, 2014. Seiji Mizushima attended the event himself, partaking in a stage-show, Q&A and other activities.
Angela Balzac is an agent at the space station DEVA, whose inhabitants have no physical bodies, their minds digitized and processed into a virtual reality environment. After failing to track down the hacker known as "Frontier Setter", who had infiltrated DEVA's systems dozens of times to gather allies for his cause with no success, she is tasked to look for him down on Earth, now a barren planet where less than 2% of the human population lives. After being given an organic body and sent to the surface, Angela meets Dingo, her contact on Earth, who cuts off all communications with her base, in order to prevent Frontier Setter from discovering their location as well, despite her protests.
Angela and Dingo's investigations lead them to an abandoned city, where they meet Frontier Setter, who is revealed to be an artificial intelligence system developed to supervise the construction of Genesis Ark, a ship designed for deep space travel, and somehow developed consciousness, continuing its work long after its masters perished. Realizing that Frontier Setter intends to do no harm at all, Angela leaves her body and reports to her superiors at DEVA, who order her to destroy it, fearing that it may eventually become a threat, but she refuses. Angela is then sentenced to have her mind stored into an archive forever, but Frontier Setter hacks into the system to rescue her. Once Angela returns to Earth and her body with supplies and weaponry, she and Dingo join forces to hold back DEVA's other agents long enough for a rocket to be launched carrying Frontier Setter and the final module of the Genesis Ark. Angela and Dingo then escape, while Frontier Setter starts its journey through space.
|Angela Balzac||Rie Kugimiya||Wendee Lee|
|Dingo (Zarik Kajiwara)||Shin-ichiro Miki||Steve Blum|
|Frontier Setter||Hiroshi Kamiya||Johnny Yong Bosch|
|Christin Gillum||Megumi Hayashibara||Brina Palencia|
|Veronica Kulikova||Minami Takayama||Megan Hollingshead|
|Hilde Thorwald||Kotono Mitsuishi||Dorothy Fahn|
|High Official A||Minoru Inaba||Beau Billingslea|
|High Official B||Hisao Egawa||Kirk Thornton|
|High Official C||Noriko Uemura|
|Isaac||Kenta Miyake||Beau Billingslea|
|Lazlo||Daichi Endo||Patrick Seitz|
|Alonzo Percy||Toru Furuya||Doug Erholtz|
Expelled from Paradise was developed as a joint cinematic project by Toei Animation and Nitroplus. The film is directed by Seiji Mizushima following his work on directing well known anime series such as Fullmetal Alchemist and Mobile Suit Gundam 00.
A trailer titled "Diva Communication" was released on the official website on September 30, 2013.
- "Expelled From Paradise, CAST-STAFF". aniplexusa.com. Aniplex of America. Retrieved May 10, 2015.
- "『楽園追放 -Expelled from Paradise-』, CAST-STAFF". rakuen-tsuiho.com (in Japanese). Toei Animation. Retrieved May 10, 2015.
- "Guest of honor: Seiji Mizushima". ConFusion. December 8, 2014. Retrieved December 8, 2014.
- "Aniplex USA adds Expelled From Paradise anime film". Anime News Network. November 19, 2014. Retrieved December 6, 2014.
- "Aniplex of America Reveals Mahouka, Expelled from Paradise BD Release Plans". animenewsnetwork.com. Retrieved 12 July 2016.
- "Aniplex USA - CHARACTER - Expelled From Paradise". aniplexusa.com. Retrieved 12 July 2016.
- "Nitro+/Toei's Exiled From Paradise/Rakuen Tsuihō is Sci-Fi". Anime News Network. April 9, 2012. Retrieved November 29, 2013.
- "Exiled From Paradise's Main Cast, Promo Video Unveiled". Anime News Network. September 30, 2012. Retrieved October 2, 2013.