List of most expensive paintings
This is a list of the highest known prices paid for paintings. The earliest sale on the list (Vase with Fifteen Sunflowers by Vincent van Gogh) is from 1987, and more than tripled the previous record price, set only two years before, introducing a new era in top picture prices. The sale was also significant in that for the first time a "modern" painting (in this case from 1888) became the record holder, as opposed to the old master paintings which had always previously held it. The current record price is approximately $300 million paid for Willem de Kooning's Interchange in November 2015, perhaps matched by the sale for "close to $300 million" of Paul Gauguin's When Will You Marry? in February 2015.
The world's most famous paintings, especially old master works done before 1803, are generally owned or held at museums, for viewing by patrons. The museums very rarely sell them, and as such, they are quite literally priceless. Guinness World Records lists the Mona Lisa as having the highest insurance value for a painting in history. On permanent display at The Louvre museum in Paris, the Mona Lisa was assessed at US$100 million on December 14, 1962. Taking inflation into account, the 1962 value would be around US$790 million in 2016.
The earliest sale on the list below (Vase with Fifteen Sunflowers by Vincent van Gogh) is from March 1987; with a price of £24.75 million (£62.8 million in current value) it tripled the previous record and introduced a new era in top art sales. Before this, the highest absolute price paid for a painting was £8.1 million (£18.0 million in current value) paid by the J. Paul Getty Museum for Mantegna's Adoration of the Magi at Christie's in London on April 18, 1985. In constant dollars, the highest price paid before 1987 was by the National Gallery of Art when in February 1967 they acquired Leonardo da Vinci's Ginevra de' Benci for around $5 million ($36 million in current dollars) from the Princely Family of Liechtenstein. The sale of Van Gogh's Sunflowers was also significant in that for the first time a "modern" (in this case 1888) painting became the record holder, as opposed to the old master paintings which previously had dominated the market. In contrast, there are currently only seven pre-1850 paintings among the top 48 listed.
An exceptional case is graffiti artist David Choe, who accepted payment in shares for painting graffiti art in the headquarters of a fledgling Facebook. While his shares were of limited value when he was awarded them, by the time of Facebook's IPO they were valued at around $200m.
Van Gogh, Picasso, and Warhol
Vincent van Gogh, Pablo Picasso, and Andy Warhol are by far the best represented artists in the list. Whereas Picasso and Warhol became wealthy men, Van Gogh (supposedly) sold only one painting in his lifetime, The Red Vineyard, for 400 francs (about $1800 in 2011) to the impressionist painter and heiress Anna Boch. His seven paintings in the list below alone were sold for over 730 million current dollars.
List of highest prices paid
This list is ordered by consumer price index inflation-adjusted value (in bold) in millions of United States dollars in the current year.[note 1] Where necessary, the price is first converted to dollars using the exchange rate at the time the painting was sold. The inflation adjustment may change as recent inflation rates are often revised. A list in another currency may be in a slightly different order due to exchange rate fluctuations. Paintings are only listed once, i.e. for the highest price sold.
|Painting||Image||Artist||Year||Date of sale||Rank
|~$303||~$300||Interchange||Willem de Kooning||1955||September 2015||1 or 2
|David Geffen Foundation||Kenneth C. Griffin||Private sale|
|~$303||~$300 [note 3]||Nafea Faa Ipoipo
(When Will You Marry?)
|Paul Gauguin||1892||February 2015||1 or 2
|Rudolf Staechelin family||State of Qatar||Private sale|
|$276 +||$259 + [note 5]||The Card Players||Paul Cézanne||1892/93||April 2011||1||George Embiricos||State of Qatar||Private sale |
|~$202||~$200||Number 17A||Jackson Pollock||1948||September 2015||4||David Geffen Foundation||Kenneth C. Griffin||Private sale|
|No. 6 (Violet, Green and Red)||Mark Rothko||1951||August 2014||2||Cherise Moueix||Dmitry Rybolovlev||Private sale via
Yves Bouvier 
|Pendant portraits of
and Oopjen Coppit
|Rembrandt||1634||September 2015||4||Éric de Rothschild||Rijksmuseum
|$181.2||$179.4||Les Femmes d'Alger
|Pablo Picasso||1955||May 11, 2015||4||Private collection||Hamad bin Jassim bin Jaber Al Thani||Christie's, New York.|
|$172.2||$170.4||Nu Couché||Amedeo Modigliani||1917/18||November 9, 2015||6||Laura Mattioli Rossi||Liu Yiqian ||Christie's, New York.|
|$166.3||$140||No. 5, 1948||Jackson Pollock||1948||November 2, 2006||1||David Geffen||David Martinez||Private sale via Sotheby's|
|$163.4||$137.5||Woman III||Willem de Kooning||1953||November 18, 2006||2||David Geffen||Steven A. Cohen||Private sale via Larry Gagosian|
|$160.4||$135||Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer I||Gustav Klimt||1907||June 18, 2006||1||Maria Altmann||Ronald Lauder, Neue Galerie||Private sale via Christie's|
|$159.4||$155||Le Rêve||Pablo Picasso||1932||March 26, 2013||5||Steve Wynn||Steven A. Cohen||Private sale|
|$151.2||$82.5||Portrait of Dr. Gachet||Vincent van Gogh||1890||May 15, 1990||1||Siegfried Kramarsky
|Ryoei Saito[note 6]||Christie's, New York|
|$146.4||$142.4||Three Studies of Lucian Freud||Francis Bacon||1969||November 12, 2013||7||[note 7]||Elaine Wynn, ex-wife of Steve Wynn||Christie's, New York|
|$143.2||$78.1||Bal du moulin de la Galette
|Pierre-Auguste Renoir||1876||May 17, 1990||2||Betsey Whitney||Ryoei Saito [note 9]||Sotheby's, New York|
|$132.1||$104.2||Garçon à la pipe||Pablo Picasso||1905||May 4, 2004||3||Greentree foundation
|Barilla Group?||Sotheby's, New York|
|$131.1||$127.5||Salvator Mundi||Attributed to
Leonardo da Vinci
|1490-1519||May 2013||9||Robert Simon||Dmitry Rybolovlev||Private sale via
|$125.1||$119.9||The Scream [note 10]||Edvard Munch||1895||May 2, 2012||8||Petter Olsen||Leon Black||Sotheby's, New York|
|$123||$118||Reclining Nude With Blue Cushion||Amedeo Modigliani||1917||2012||8||Steven A. Cohen||Dmitry Rybolovlev||Private sale via Yves Bouvier |
|$120.8||$110.0||Flag [note 11]||Jasper Johns||1954||March 2010||7||Jean-Christophe Castelli||Steven A. Cohen||Private sale, estimated price|
|$116.9||$106.5||Nude, Green Leaves and Bust||Pablo Picasso||1932||May 4, 2010||8||Frances Lasker Brody estate||Leonard Blavatnik?||Christie's, New York|
works [note 12]
|Portrait of Joseph Roulin||Vincent van Gogh||1889||August 1, 1989||1||Private collection, Zürich||Museum of Modern Art New York||Private sale via
Fine Art Zurich
|$113.6||$53.9||Irises||Vincent van Gogh||1889||November 11, 1987||1||son of Joan Whitney Payson||Alan Bond [note 13]||Sotheby's, New York|
|$113.1||$95.2||Dora Maar au Chat||Pablo Picasso||1941||May 3, 2006||5||Gidwitz family||Boris Ivanishvili||Sotheby's, New York|
|$111.2||$100.0||Eight Elvises||Andy Warhol||1963||October 2008||10||Annibale Berlingieri||Possibly the State of Qatar||Private sale via Philippe Ségalot|
|$108.7 +||$105.7 + [note 14]
|Anna's Light||Barnett Newman||1968||October 4, 2013||18||DIC Corp.||Private sale|
|$108.4||$105.4||Silver Car Crash (Double Disaster)||Andy Warhol||1963||November 13, 2013||20||Sotheby's, New York|
|$105.1||$71.5||Portrait de l'artiste sans barbe||Vincent van Gogh||1889||November 19, 1998||5||Heirs of Jacques Koerfer||Christie's, New York|
|$104.5||$87.9||Adele Bloch-Bauer II||Gustav Klimt||1912||November 2, 2006||10||Maria Altmann||Christie's, New York|
|$103||$100||La Montagne Sainte-Victoire
vue du bosquet du Château Noir
|Paul Cézanne||1904||2013 [note 15]||20||Edsel and Eleanor Ford House||State of Qatar ||Private sale|
|Massacre of the Innocents||Peter Paul Rubens||1611||July 10, 2002||6||an Austrian family||Kenneth Thomson[note 16]||Sotheby's, London|
|$96.4||$95.4||Nurse||Roy Lichtenstein||1964||November 9, 2015||30||Christie's, New York.|
|$96.0||$86.3||Triptych, 1976||Francis Bacon||1976||May 14, 2008||13||Moueix family ||Roman Abramovich||Sotheby's, New York|
|Les Noces de Pierrette||Pablo Picasso||1905||November 30, 1989||3||Fredrik Roos||Tomonori Tsurumaki||Binoche et Godeau Paris|
|$95.0||$80.0||False Start||Jasper Johns||1959||October 12, 2006||11||David Geffen||Kenneth C. Griffin||Private sale via Richard Gray.|
|$94.5||$57||A Wheatfield with Cypresses||Vincent van Gogh||1889||May 1993||6||son of Emil Georg Bührle||Walter H. Annenberg [note 17]||Private sale via Steven Mazoh|
|$92.5||$47.8||Yo, Picasso||Pablo Picasso||1901||May 9, 1989||2||Wendell Cherry||Stavros Niarchos||Sotheby's, New York|
|$92.4||$80.0||Turquoise Marilyn||Andy Warhol||1964||May 20, 2007||17||Stefan Edlis||Steven A. Cohen||Private sale via Larry Gagosian|
|$91.1||$70.0||Portrait of Alfonso d'Avalos,
Marquis of Vasto,
in Armor with a Page
|Titian||1533||November 2003||10||AXA insurance company||Getty Museum||Private sale via
Hervé Aaron 
|$90.6||$86.9||Orange, Red, Yellow||Mark Rothko||1961||May 8, 2012||26||Estate of David Pincus||Christie's, New York|
|Le Bassin aux Nymphéas||Claude Monet||1919||June 24, 2008||20||J. Irwin and Xenia S. Miller||Christie's, London|
|$87.0||$60.5||Rideau, Cruchon et Compotier||Paul Cézanne||1894||May 10, 1999||9||Whitney Family [note 18]||Sotheby's, New York|
|$85.1||$84.2||Black Fire I||Barnett Newman||1961||May 13, 2014||35||Private Collection||Anonymous||Christie's, New York.|
|$84.1||$72.8||White Center (Yellow, Pink
and Lavender on Rose)
|Mark Rothko||1950||May 15, 2007||19||David Rockefeller, Sr.||Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al-Thani ||Sotheby's, New York|
|Vase with Fifteen Sunflowers||Vincent van Gogh||1888||March 30, 1987||1||Helen Beatty,
|Yasuo Goto, Yasuda Comp.||Christie's, London|
|$82.9||$81.9||Triple Elvis||Andy Warhol||1963||November 12, 2014||39||WestSpiel ||Christie's, New York |
|$82.8||$71.7||Green Car Crash
(Green Burning Car I)
|Andy Warhol||1963||May 16, 2007||21||Private collection, Zürich||Philip Niarchos||Christie's, New York|
|$82.8||$81.9||No. 10||Mark Rothko||1958||May 13, 2015||43||Christie's, New York|
|$81.4||$81.4||Meule||Claude Monet||1891||November 16, 2016||49||Christie's, New York|
|$81.7||$80.8||Three Studies for a
Portrait of John Edwards
|Francis Bacon||1984||May 13, 2014||39||Private Collection||Anonymous||Christie's, New York.|
(€50-60) [note 19]
|Darmstadt Madonna||Hans Holbein||1526||July 12, 2011||29||Donatus, Landgrave of Hesse||Reinhold Würth||Private sale via
Christoph Graf Douglas
|Diana and Actaeon||Titian||1556–1559||February 1, 2009||26||Duke of Sutherland||National Galleries of Scotland
& National Gallery, London
|$78.6||$40.7||Au Lapin Agile||Pablo Picasso||1904||November 27, 1989||5||daughter of Joan Whitney Payson||Walter H. Annenberg||Sotheby's, New York|
|$78.5||$68||The Gross Clinic||Thomas Eakins||1875||April 12, 2007||21||Thomas Jefferson University||Philadelphia Museum of Art||Private sale|
|$78.4||$75.1||No 1 (Royal Red and Blue)||Mark Rothko||1954||November 13, 2012||36||John and Anne Marion||Sotheby's, New York|
|Acrobate et jeune arlequin
|Pablo Picasso||1905||November 28, 1988||3||Heir of Roger Janssen?
|$76.5||$55.0||Femme aux Bras Croisés||Pablo Picasso||1902||November 8, 2000||13||McCormick family, Chicago||Christie's, New York|
|$75.7||$69.0||Nude Sitting on a Divan
("La Belle Romaine")
|Amedeo Modigliani||1917||November 2, 2010||33||Halit Cıngıllıoglu||Sotheby's, New York|
|$75.4||$63.5||Police Gazette||Willem de Kooning||1955||October 12, 2006||20||David Geffen||Steven A. Cohen||Private sale via Richard Gray.|
|Diana and Callisto||Titian||1556–1559||March 2, 2012||38||Duke of Sutherland||National Galleries of Scotland
& National Gallery, London
|Private sale |
|$71.3||$70.5||Untitled (New York City)||Cy Twombly||1968||November 11, 2015||61||Family of Sydney M. Irmas||Christie's, New York |
|$71.2||$49.5||Femme assise dans un jardin||Pablo Picasso||1938||November 10, 1999||13||Robert Saidenberg [note 22] ||Sotheby's, New York|
|$70.9||$47.5||Peasant Woman Against
a Background of Wheat
|Vincent van Gogh||1890||1997||12||Steve Wynn[note 23]||Private sale via
Acquavella Galleries Inc.,
|$70.4||$69.6||Untitled||Cy Twombly||1970||November 12, 2014||54||Nicola del Roscio ||Christie's, New York |
|$70.4||$69.6||Four Marlons||Andy Warhol||1966||November 12, 2014||54||WestSpiel ||Christie's, New York |
|Eagle Standing on Pine Tree||Qi Baishi||1946||May 22, 2011||38||Liu Yiqian||Hunan TV & Broadcast
|China Guardian Auctions|
|$69.6||$63.4||Men in Her Life||Andy Warhol||1962||November 8, 2010||37||Jose Mugrabi||Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al-Thani ||Phillips de Pury & Company|
|$68.2||$67.45||La Gommeuse||Pablo Picasso||1901||November 5, 2015||William I. Koch||Sotheby's, New York.|
|$68.1||$67.4||Buste de femme
(Femme à la résille)
|Pablo Picasso||1938||May 11, 2015||Steve Wynn||Joseph Lau||Christie's, New York.|
|$68.0||$35.2||Portrait of a Halberdier||Pontormo||1537||May 31, 1989||5||Chauncey Stillman||Getty Museum||Christie's, New York|
|$67.0||$66.3||L’Allée des Alyscamps||Vincent van Gogh||1888||May 5, 2015||60||Sotheby's, New York|
|$66.3||$66.3||Untitled XXV||Willem de Kooning||1977||November 15, 2016||70||Christie's, New York|
|$67.0||$66.2||Untitled||Mark Rothko||1952||May 13, 2014||54||Private Collection||Anonymous||Christie's, New York.|
|$66.7||$60.0||Suprematist Composition||Kazimir Malevich||1916||November 3, 2008||34||Heirs of Kazimir Malevich||Sotheby's, New York|
|Zhichuan Resettlement||Wang Meng||1350||June 4, 2011||42||Beijing Poly Auction|
|$65.9||$65.1||Spring (Le Printemps)||Édouard Manet||1881||November 5, 2014||56||Getty Museum||Christie's, New York|
- The wikipedia template uses a yearly average inflation. Using monthly averages gives slightly different numbers, most significantly for paintings sold early or late in a year with significant inflation.
- Depending on whether its price exceeded that of When Will You Marry?; neither painting's sale price is publicly known.
- Exact price unknown, but described by The New York Times as "close to $300 million."
- Depending on whether its price exceeded that of The Card Players; neither painting's sale price is publicly known.
- Exact price (even the currency of sale) is not known, with estimates from $259 million to even $300 million
- Reportedly, Gachet's portrait was privately resold to a European buyer in 1997 or 1998 for $65-$90 million through Sotheby’s
- The triptych had probably been reassembled by the Italian collector Francesco De Simone Niquesa, but were resold to a person in the US before 2013
- This is the small version of the painting; the large version is at Musée d'Orsay.
- Privately resold for ca. $50 million through Sotheby’s in 1997.
- One of two pastel versions; another two painted versions (and lithography) exist, all created by Munch
- Most expensive painting by a living artist
- The paintings transferred to the dealers include a late Monet entitled Corona (Water Lilies) from around 1920; Renoir's Reclining Nude of 1902, Kandinsky's Autumn Landscape, Murnau from 1908, and Picasso's Striped Bodice from September 1943.
- Alan Bond could not pay off the painting, and Irises was resold (probably for somewhat less) to the Getty Museum.
- Price excludes sales commission and other costs.
- exact date of sale is not available
- Later in 2002, Thomson donated his private collection, including the Rubens, to the Art Gallery of Ontario
- Annenberg donated it subsequently to the Metropolitan Museum of Art
- Steve Wynn, who bid on the painting at auction, privately acquired the work several months later from the unidentified buyer for an undisclosed, supposedly lower price. Kenneth Griffin acquired it in 2004 from Wynn.
- Usually estimated at "over €50 M" or "between 50 and 60 million Euros". $75M would have been €53M on July 12, 2011.
- resold for £12m to Stavros Niarchos in 1993
- A Belgian banker and collector who bought it in 1939 for $18,000. His was the last name on the 1988 provenance list; painting came from "a private collection in Arizona"
- Son of Daniel (conductor & cellist) and Eleanore Saidenberg who were Picasso's New York dealers from 1955 to 1973.
- On Oct. 7, 2005, The New York Times reported that Steven Cohen bought van Gogh's "Peasant Woman Against a Background of Wheat" and Gauguin's "Bathers" (1903) from Steve Wynn for approximately $110 million, though guesses range from $100-150 million. One or both of the paintings may thus occur higher on this list.
- Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis Community Development Project. "Consumer Price Index (estimate) 1800–". Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis. Retrieved January 2, 2017.
- William Wilson, Getty Pays $10.5 Million For Painting, New York Times, April 19, 1985
- Nick Bilton, "For Founders to Decorators, Facebook Riches," The New York Times, 1/1/12.
- "The Red Vineyard Painting at annaboch.com". Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- Kazakina, Katya (February 18, 2016). "Billionaire Griffin Pays $500 Million for Two Paintings". Bloomberg Business. Retrieved February 23, 2016.
- Reyburn, Scott; Carvajal, Doreen (February 5, 2015). "Gauguin Painting Is Said to Fetch Nearly $300 Million". The New York Times. Retrieved February 5, 2015.
- Art Media Agency (AMA), 250 M$, a new record for a painting?, 4 May 2011
- Stefan Koldehoff, Welt-online: Das Rätsel vom teuersten Bild aller Zeiten, 31 July 2011 (already mentions Qatar as most likely buyer)
- Peers, Alexandra (January 2012). "Qatar Purchases Cézanne's The Card Players for More Than $250 Million, Highest Price Ever for a Work of Art". QuatarSale. Retrieved 2012-02-03.
- Baker, Stephanie (April 27, 2015). "The Billionaire, the Dealer, and the $186 Million Rothko". Bloomberg.
- Rembrandt portraits may come home, The New York Times September 21, 2015
- Smith, Emily (20 May 2015). "Buyer of record-setting Picasso painting revealed". Page Six. Retrieved 6 February 2016.
- Reyburn, Scott (11 May 2015). "Picasso and Giacometti Artworks Top $120 Million Each at Christie's Sale". New York Times. Retrieved 12 May 2015.
- Qin, Amy (10 November 2015). "Chinese Taxi Driver Turned Billionaire Bought Modigliani Painting". New York Times. Retrieved 10 November 2015.
- Pogrebin, Robin; Reyburn, Scott (9 November 2015). "With $170.4 Million Sale at Auction, Modigliani Work Joins Rarefied Nine-Figure Club". New York Times. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- Carol Vogel, A Pollock Is Sold, Possibly for a Record Price, New York Times, November 2, 2006
- Carol Vogel, Landmark De Kooning Crowns Collection, New York Times, November 18, 2006
- Carol Vogel, Lauder Pays $135 Million, a Record, for a Klimt Portrait, New York Times, June 19, 2006
- Carol Vogel & Peter Lattman, $616 Million Poorer, Hedge Fund Owner Still Buys Art, New York Times, March 26, 2013
- "ARTnews: The Most Wanted Works of Art". Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- "artnet: the silent boom". Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- Crow, Kelly (7 November 2013). "Bringing Home the Bacon". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 14 November 2013.
- Swaine, Jon (13 November 2013). "Francis Bacon triptych smashes art auction record". London: Telegraph Media Group. Retrieved 14 November 2013.
- Carol Vogel, Buyer of $142.4 Million Bacon Triptych Identified as Elaine Wynn, New York Times, January 15, 2014
- Vogel, Carol (November 12, 2013). "Bacon's Study of Freud Sells for $142.4 Million". The New York Times. The New York Times Company. Retrieved November 13, 2013.
- Claire Foy-Smith, Who buys paintings for $104m?, BBC News Online, 6 May 2004
- Lot description and auction details of "Garçon à la pipe" at Sotheby's website.
- Reyburn, Scott. Recently Attributed Leonardo Painting Was Sold Privately for Over $75 Million. New York Times. 3 March 2014. 
- Kelly Crow, An Art Mystery Solved: Mogul Is 'Scream' Buyer, The Wall Street Journal, July 11, 2012
- The New York Times Planting a Johns ‘Flag’ in a Private Collection
- The Art Market Monitor: Who Bought the Brody Picasso for $106m?
- Art Sales: Russian buyers inject confidence into Old Master market: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/luxury/art/art-sales-russian-buyers-inject-confidence-into-old-master-marke/, accessdate: November 21, 2016
- Picasso piece sets record for art sold at auction, Reuters, May 5, 2010
- Kimmelman, Michael: How the MoMA got the Van Gogh, New York Times, 09 October 1989.
- Marc Spiegler, he Hunt for the Red Collector, New York Magazine, 22 August 2006.
- Lot description and auction details of "Dora Maar au Chat" at Sotheby's website.
- Corriere della Sera: Il marchese romano e un Warhol da 100 milioni di dollari
- Dan Duray, qatar may have purchased Warhol's 'Eight Elvises', ArtNews 08/07/14
- The Pop master's highs and lows, The Economist, 26 November 2009.
- DIC Sells 'Anna's Light' Painting For Y10.3bn Gain
- Barnett Newman "Anna's Light" (Japanese)
- Regarding extraordinary profit associated with the sale of a certain painting owned by the company and revision of its consolidated operating result forecast
- Silver Car Crash auction results at Sotheby's
- Mark Stryker, Detroit Free Press Staff Writer (5 February 2015). "Qatar bought Ford House's $100-million Cezanne". Detroit Free Press.
- Mark Stryker, Detroit Free Press Staff Writer (19 December 2014). "$100M for Cézanne painting? Ford House couldn't refuse". Detroit Free Press.
- Sarah Cascone (19 December 2014). "Secret $100 Million Cézanne Sale in Detroit - artnet News". artnet News.
- Mr. Kenneth Thomson’s gift to the AGO of his art collection -- the most significant private art collection in Canada – will add 2,000 outstanding works to the Art Gallery of Ontario, archived from the original on 2006-10-08, retrieved 2013-09-02
- Wine Spectator Online: Unfiltered (21 May 2008). "Château Pétrus Makes a Record-Breaking Sale—of Art".
- Cristina Ruiz and Sarah Thornton Roman Abramovich brings home the $86.3m Bacon and the $33.6m Freud, The Art Newspaper, 1 June 2008
- Lot description and auction details of "Triptych, 1976" at Sotheby's website.
- Judd Tully, Auction; `Blue' Picasso Breaks Record at $51.7 Million, The Washington Post, Dec 1, 1989
- Carol Vogel, Works by Johns and de Kooning Sell for $143.5 Million, The New york Times, October 12, 2006
- Carol Vogel, Inside Art: Buying a Warhol 'Marilyn', New York Times, 25 May 2007
- The Getty secures masterpiece portrait by Titian, a November 24, 2003 press release by the Getty Museum
- Will Bennett, The $70 million soldier, The Daily Telegraph, 23 February 2004
- Mark Rothko painting sets post-war auction record, The Daily Telegraph, 9 May 2012
- Lot description and auction details of "Le bassin aux nymphéas" at Christie's website
- "ARTnews: Cohen Buys Two Works from Wynn in $120M Deal". Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- "Post-War and Contemporary Evening Sale - Fine Art Auction - Search Results - Christie's". Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- Thornton, Sarah; Adam, Georgina (May 4, 2008). "Revealed: $72.8m Rockefeller Rothko has gone to Qatar". The Art Newspaper.
- Lot description and auction details of "White Center" at Sotheby's website.
- Carol Vogel, A Warhol Leads a Night of Soaring Prices at Christie’s, New York Times Nov 13, 2014
- Andy Warhol's "Triple Elvis" auction results at Christie's
- Lot description and auction details of "Green Car Crash" at Christie's website
- , Art Market Monitor, 13 May 2015
- Claude Monet's "Meule" at Christie's website
- Greatest German Renaissance Madonna sold by prince, The Art Newspaper, July 15, 2011
- Farah Nayeri, U.K. Buys Titian Diana Painting for 50 Million Pounds, Bloomberg, February 2, 2009
- Mike Wade, Titian deal paves way for next acquisition, The Sunday Times, 2 February 2009
- Funds secured for Titian painting, BBC News, 2 February 2009
- Salisbury, Stephan (November 14, 2006), A divisive deal, The Philadelphia Inquirer
- No. 1 (Royal Red and Blue at Sotheby's
- Lot description and auction details of "Femme aux bras croisés" at Christie's website
- Kelly Crow, Sotheby's Sells $68.9 Million Modigliani, Wall Street Journal, November 3, 2010
- "Nu assis sur un divan auction details at Sotheby's". Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- "Willem de Kooning". Twcdc.com. Retrieved 2013-04-30.
- Pauline McLean BBC Scotland arts correspondent. "Titian masterpiece Diana and Callisto saved for nation". Bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-03-01.
- Andrew Decker, The Saidenberg Coup, at artnet.com
- Carter B. Horsley, The Collection of Eleanore and Daniel Saidenberg
- "sGallery: A Gauguin and a van Gogh Change Hands". Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- Carol Vogel, A Gauguin and a van Gogh Change Hands, New York Times, Oct 7, 2005
- Cy Twombly's Untitled auction results at Christie's
- Andy Warhol's "Four Marlons" auction results at Christie's
- "China auction sees Qi Baishi painting sell for $65m". BBC News. May 23, 2011. Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- "The buyer of 422.5 Million Qi Baishi painting revealed". Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- Christie Chu (14 November 2014). "What Are The Top 10 Al-Thani Family Art Acquisitions?". ArtNet News.
- Carol Vogel, Auction Records Fall at Phillips’s Sale of Contemporary Masters, NY Times, November 10, 2010
- "La Gommeuse". Sotheby's.
- Pogrebin, Robin. "Warmer Response at Sotheby's 2nd Night of Auctions". New York Times.
- Balfour, Frederik (November 12, 2015). "Hong Kong Billionaire Lau Sets Two Records in 24 Hours". Bloomberg Business. Retrieved December 16, 2015.
- Brian Boucher, Led by $66M Van Gogh, Sotheby's Impressionist and Modern Sale Robustly Kicks Off Season, Artnet, May 5, 2015
- Sales details at Christie's
- Lot description and auction details of "Suprematist Composition" at Sotheby's website.
- 吴南岚. "Wang Meng painting auction for $62 million". Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- Craig Nakano, Getty breaks record with $65.1-million purchase of Manet's 'Spring', LA Times, November 5, 2014