Experto crede is a Latin motto which means "Believe one who has had experience in the matter". It is usually used by an author as an aside to the reader, and may be loosely translated as: "trust me", "trust the expert", "believe one who has tried it", or "have faith in experience".
- In the variant form experto credite it is a quotation from the Aeneid by Virgil (part XI, line 283)
- When "crede" is followed by a personal name (e.g., crede John Smith), the expert in question is the name given
- It is the official motto of the Air Force's 89th Airlift Wing, which flies Air Force One
- "Experto Crede" is the name of Adéwalé's ship in the Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag [DLC Freedom Cry]
- E. Cobham Brewer. Dictionary of Phrase and Fable. 1898. "Experto Crede. Believe one who has had experience in the matter."
- 89th Airlift Wing Fact Sheet: Motto: EXPERTO CREDE ... "Trust One Who Has Experience"