experto crede is a Latin motto which means Trust in one experienced; literally: "(the/an) expert trust". It is usually used by an author as an aside to the reader, and may be loosely translated as: "trust me", "trust the expert", "believe one who has tried it", or "have faith in experience".
- In the variant form experto credite it is a quotation from the Aeneid by Virgil (Book XI, line 283)
- When "crede" is followed by a personal name (e.g., crede John Smith), the expert in question is the name given
- It is the official motto of the Air Force's 89th Airlift Wing, which flies Air Force One
- "Experto Crede" is the name of Adéwalé's ship in the Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag [DLC Freedom Cry]
- E. Cobham Brewer. Dictionary of Phrase and Fable. 1898. "Experto Crede. Believe one who has had experience in the matter."
- 89th Airlift Wing Fact Sheet: Motto: EXPERTO CREDE ... "Trust One Who Has Experience"