Number of locations
|India, Dubai, New York City|
Explocity Pvt Ltd is a media and publishing company headquartered in Bangalore. The company was formed by Ramjee Chandran. Explocity has city based publications across six cities in India, namely, Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad, Mumbai, Delhi and Kolkata.
Prior to the inception of Explocity, Chandran first began a Bangalore-based magazine, Bangalore This Fortnight, in 1989. This was followed by the launch of the Bangalore Monthly and the Bangaloremag.com. The internet had just begun its journey in the late 1990s in India, when Chandran created Explocity.com in 1999. Some of the initial funding was from Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. Explocity.com has content includes events, restaurants, hotel listings, shopping, nightlife and sightseeing in cities like New York City, Dubai, Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad, Mumbai, Delhi and Kolkata.
The Explocity guide (formerly known as CityInfo), was the next product from Explocity, which provides information on restaurants, places to visit, shopping, in cities around the world. It then began publishing lifestyle magazines like 080 (Bangalore), 044 (Chennai) and 040 (Hyderabad), followed by 022 (Mumbai) and 011 (Delhi'). A daily newsletter, MyTime, was also created. Explocity was one of the first companies in the world to introduce the software called Pagician for their digital magazines. Explocity also launched a city Movies Guide website online called Explocity Movies. Explocity also partners with Kingfisher (beer) to bring out the Kingfisher Explocity Great Food and Nightlife Guides. On the eve of its 21st anniversary, Explocity also launched an area specific destination guide for the Indiranagar area in Bangalore, followed by the more recent guide to the Mumbai-based shopping mall Palladium.
Products and events
- Explocity organised the Bangalore Restaurant Week which was a week-long event involving reportedly the best restaurants in Bangalore in November 2011. The event started with 7 chefs from reportedly leading hotels in Bangalore, facing off in a cooking competition called King of Chefs.
Explocity's weekend dining newsletter FirstFoodie was written about in IMPACT magazine's story about media houses in India that cater to food and beverages in January 2013.
Explocity launched EXEC (now known as Executive Traveller) - reportedly, India's first magazine for business travellers - in April 2010. A couple of years later, EXEC tied up with a smartphone content provider to serve its content on the iPhone, iPad and Android smartphones and tablet devices.
- Article about Kingfisher partnering with Explocity for the Kingfisher Explocity Great Food and Nightlife Guides
- Article in the Telegraph India about Explocity's involvement in the Foodguide business
- Article that quotes Ramjee Chandran on listings as a revenue stream for portals
- Explocity on Wikimapia
- Explocity Launches 044 Magazine for Chennai
- An old article in The Hindu about Explocity
- An article that cites Ramjee Chandran, CEO of Explocity as one of the key people of Indian media
- About the Kingfisher Explocity Great Food Guide
- Explocity appoints Allen Mendonca as Editorial Director
- Explocity listed as one of India's favourite websites
- "Source: The Hoot website".
- "Clipping in Mid Day Newspaper".
- "The Hindu Newspaper". Chennai, India. 22 November 2000.
- "Clipping in Asian Age Newspaper".
- "Article in the Hindu Business Line".
- Press Release India PR Wire 1 June 2010 p.5.
- "IMPACT Magazine, January 2013".
- Report about EXEC's launch by Agency FAQS News Bureau.
- "Article on Agency FAQS".