|AIPH Antalya 2016|
|Motto||"Gelecek Nesiller için Yeşil Bir Dünya"
"A Green World for the Coming Generations"
|Area||1,121 da (120,700 sq ft)|
|Opening||April 23, 2016|
|Closure||October 30, 2016|
|Previous||Floriade 2012 in Venlo|
|Next||Internationale Gartenausstellung 2017 in Berlin|
|Previous||Expo 2012 in Yeosu|
|Next||Expo 2017 in Astana|
|Previous||Expo 2015 in Milan|
|Next||Expo 2020 in Dubai|
Expo 2016 was an international horticultural exposition in Antalya, Turkey. It was the first one since the Floriade 2012 in Venlo, Netherlands to be recognized by the Bureau of International Expositions (BIE) and to be classified A1 by the International Association of Horticultural Producers (AIPH). Officially opened on April 22, 2016, the exposition remained open to the public 191 days until October 30, 2016. The motto of the Expo 2016 is "A Green World for the Coming Generations" (Turkish: Gelecek Nesiller için Yeşil Bir Dünya). American singer-songwriter Demi Lovato performed at the exposition on October 1, 2016 as part of her Future Now Tour.
The facilities, which were built for the Expo 2016, were the Expo Tower, Turkey's first Agriculture and Biodiversity Museum, a congress center of 6,500 seating capacity, 5,000 and 800 seated two amphitheaters, a "Children Island" as playground and a "Science and Technology Center for Children". Further facilities were the Expo Pond, Expo Terrace in the form of peony, the symbol flower of the Expo 2016, Expo Hill, Expo Forest, Expo Square and "Culture and Arts Street" as well as restaurants.
Around 25,000 green plants of 120 species were planted in the fairground.The fair features also a 945-year old olive tree (Olea europaea).
- Expo Tower
The Expo Tower (Turkish: Expo Kulesi) was designed by architects Serdar Kızıltaş and Zeynep Melike Atay. It has the form of a three-leaved peony that resembles the three-arched Hadrian's Gate (Turkish: Üçkapılar, literally: "The Three Gates"), a landmark of Antalya.
The tower is a 100.70 m (330.4 ft)-high structure situated at the western side of the fairground facing the main entrance. It has a diameter of 10.40 m (34.1 ft) at the base. The exterior of the tower is covered 2/3 of its height by aluminium composite panel and the upper part by steel facia construction. It has two basement, one ground floor and 17 stories. Three elevators can lift up 63 visitors at the same time to the three-leaved peony-formed observation platform atop the tower.
It was accessible by a light rail line, which was built as the extension of the existing public transportation system of Antalya. The 20.6 km (12.8 mi)-long line cost around 900 million (approx. US$ 318 million as of April 2016).
- "Expo Antalya 2016: Flowers and children". Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- "International Horticultural Exhibitions: History of exhibitions". AIPH. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- "Dev yatırım yapılan EXPO kapılarını yarın açıyor!". Milliyet (in Turkish). 2016-04-21. Retrieved 2016-04-22.
- "Demi Lovato EXPO 2016'da konser verecek!". Expo 2016 (in Turkish). Retrieved September 24, 2016.
- "1. Ödül, Expo 2016 Antalya Expo Kulesi Mimari Proje Yarışması" (in Turkish). arkitera. Retrieved 2016-04-22.
- "Expo Kulesi" (in Turkish). Expo 2016. Retrieved 2016-04-22.
- "100,7 Metrelik EXPO Kulesinin Seyir Terası Gökyüzünde Monte Edilecek". Milliyet (in Turkish). 2015-08-25. Retrieved 2016-04-22.