Exposed (1983 film)
|Directed by||James Toback|
|Produced by||James Toback|
|Written by||James Toback|
|Music by||Georges Delerue|
|Edited by||Robert Lawrence|
|Distributed by||MGM/UA Entertainment Company|
|April 22, 1983|
The subject of her professor's romantic designs, Elizabeth Carlson a college girl from Wisconsin, packs up and moves to New York City, finding a job as a waitress while she attempts to launch a career as a fashion model.
As her career takes off, she meets Daniel Jelline, a violinist, who aggressively stalks Elizabeth until they begin an affair. When work takes her to Paris, however, Elizabeth encounters a terrorist named Rivas and her life is placed in considerable danger.
- Nastassja Kinski as Elizabeth Carlson
- Rudolf Nureyev as Daniel Jelline
- Harvey Keitel as Rivas
- Ian McShane as Greg Miller
- Bibi Andersson as Margaret
- Ron Randell as Curt
- Pierre Clémenti as Vic
- James Russo as Nick
- Tony Sirico as Record Store Thief
- James Toback as Leo Boscovitch
- Amy Steel as Party Guest
- Janice Dickinson and Iman appear as Models
James Toback claims he tried for a number of years to get the film financed but was unsuccessful. He says he won $2 million gambling in Las Vegas and spent a portion of this to bribe David Begelman, then head of MGM, to get him to authorise MGM to finance the film. MGM provided a budget of $18 million of which Toback's fee was $500,000. Filming took 80 days. Serge Silberman was executive producer.
Toback says he based the script on a romance he had with an airline stewardess.
"I've changed roughly 80% of the script I showed MGM," he said later, "and I write and rewrite every night."
"The movie is unlike anything being released by major studios today," said Toback at the time of the film's release, "and so its confusing to people who market movies". Toback was allowed to be involved in the promotion of the film. "I'm being treated a lot better than most studios would treat me," he said. "I'm not getting much money but I'm being treated a lot better than most studios treat me... I figure now I have a remote chance of putting across a movie that only got made by a miracle anyway."
Toback says the film had a "mixed" reception.
- Alec Baldwin (30 September 2013). "James Toback". Here's The Thing (Podcast). Retrieved 24 July 2016.
- Osenlund, Kurt (25 October 2013). "Seduced and Abandoned's James Toback on Movies, Mortality, Shooting in Cannes, and Literally Shooting his Enemies". Filmmaker Magazine. Retrieved 24 July 2016.
- Exposed at Box Office Mojo
- Rushfield, Richard (4 November 2013). "On Getting "Exposed" Green Lit". Rushfield Babylon. Retrieved 24 July 2016.
- Turner, Adrian (23 January 1982). "Nothing Against Murder". The Guardian. London. p. 12.
- Pond, Steve (18 November 1982). "Dateline Hollywood". The Washington Post. p. C7.
- Exposed on IMDb
- Exposed at Rotten Tomatoes
- Exposed at the TCM Movie Database
- Review of film at New York Times
This movie was filmed on UVM campus in Burlington, VT.