Exposition Park (Los Angeles)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2013)|
Exposition Park is situated in South Los Angeles, California, in a rectangle bounded by Exposition Boulevard to the north, South Figueroa Street to the east, Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard to the south and Menlo Avenue to the west. It is directly south of the main campus of the University of Southern California.
The park is public space owned by the state of California.
Exposition Park houses:
- LA84 Foundation/John C. Argue Swim Stadium
- Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum
- Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena
- Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County
- California Science Center
- IMAX Theatre at California Science Center
- Exposition Park Rose Garden
- California African American Museum
- Concrete hand and footprints signed by Ed Begley Jr. of St. Elsewhere and other actors from medical TV shows such as Ben Casey M.D.
- EXPO Center (includes the LA84 Foundation/John C. Argue Swim Stadium)
- Science Center School and Amgen Center for Science Learning (formerly California National Guard Armory)
The cultural facilities mentioned above are operated by both the state and Los Angeles County.
The 160-acre (0.65 km2) site served as an agricultural fairground from 1872 to 1910 (hence its original name, "Agricultural Park"). In 1880, John Edward, Ozro W. Childs, and former Governor John G. Downey persuaded the State of California to purchase 160 acres (0.65 km2) in Los Angeles to foster agriculture in the Southland. Farmers sold their harvest on the grounds, while horses, dogs, and even camels competed on a racetrack where a rose garden now blooms.
Along the northern edge of the park, the Metro Expo Line light rail line serves the park with its Expo Park/USC Station. On the northeast, (Flower Street and 37th Street), the Metro Silver Line bus rapid transit serves Exposition Park & USC at its 37th Street/USC Station on the Harbor Transitway. The Silver Line station is located on the freeway level of the 1-110 freeway.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Exposition Park, Los Angeles.|
- Official website
- University Park Family — an online newspaper and social network focused on the neighborhoods around USC and Exposition Park, and the surrounding areas.
- Leimert Park Beat — a collaborative online community focused nearby Leimert Park: "The Soul of Los Angeles and the African American cultural center of the city".
- Official Expo Center website — recreation center.