Extinct (2017 TV series)
|Written by||Orson Scott Card and Aaron Johnston|
|Directed by||Ryan Little|
|Original release||October 1, 2017|
Extinct is a post-apocalyptic science fiction television series directed by Ryan Little and written by Orson Scott Card and Aaron Johnston. The series was picked up by BYUtv for ten episodes and premiered October 1, 2017. It is the network's second scripted television series, the first being Granite Flats.
The project was originally written to be made into a film, but BYUtv producer Adam Abel was interested in making it into a television series, and Card and Johnston re-wrote the scripts to comply with the formats.
The series takes place 400 years after the human race has been exterminated by aliens. It follows Ezra, Abram, and Feena who have been revived by an alien faction for the purposes of restarting human civilization. The group cultivates their relationship with the alien restorers while dealing with conflicts from those genocidal aliens which destroyed humanity.
- Chad Michael Collins as Ezra
- Victoria Atkin as Feena
- Jaclyn Hales as Lynn
- Yorke Fryer as Abram
- Jack Depew as Silas
- Matthew Bellows as Jax
- Jake Stormoen as Duncan
- Kirby Heyborne as voice of Red Drone
- Anna Vocino as voice of Yellow Drone
- Eliza de Azevedo Brown as Young Kylie
- Bailee Michelle Johnson as Adult Kylie
- Shayla McCafferey as "Forest Girl" Raven (aka Squirrel Girl)
- Anna Sward Hansen as Old Eleanor
- Aaron Johnston as voice of Blue Drone
- Nic Luken as Nicholas
- Cosette Shaha as Baby Kylie (episode: "Pilot")
- Jocelyn Jay Black as Toddler Kylie (episode: "Pilot")
- Joshua French as Convenience Store Clerk (episode: "Pilot")
- Jake Van Wagoner as Newscaster (episode: "Pilot")
- Denise Dorado as Althea (episode: "Broken")
- Champagne Powell as Old Abram (episode: "Broken")
- Melanie Stone as Rowen (episode: "Death Did Us Part")
Production and filming
The first two episodes premiered commercial free on BYUtv October 1, 2017. Episodes 3–8 were made available to stream on byutv.org and at extinct.tv that same night. Episodes 9 and 10 were released online when they were shown as a 2-hour finale on BYUtv on November 19, 2017.
|No.||Title||Original release date|
|1||"Pilot"||October 1, 2017|
|After the human race is wiped out by a mysterious alien force three humans, Ezra, Feena, and Abram, are brought back to life 400 years into the future by the mysterious Red Drone. Red Drone asks them to use the sparks to keep themselves alive and to save the human race, but first they must find shelter and protect themselves from a mysterious group known as the skin riders led by Ezra's brother Silas. In flashbacks we see how Ezra tries to protect his family from the alien invasion.|
|2||"Brother's Keeper"||October 1, 2017|
|After arriving at the shelter Yellow Drone shows Ezra, Feena, and Abram the graves of 143 individuals. A new deadly virus has risen, and it could take all of their lives. When Feena begins showing the symptoms of the virus, Ezra, Abram, and Yellow Drone must take the sparks to a nearby water source so they can create a virus antidote. However the trip will bring Ezra and Silas face-to-face and could lead to Ezra becoming a skin rider. Meanwhile, the skin rider inside Duncan becomes ill, so Duncan tries to escape. In the flashbacks we see how the relationship between Ezra and Silas became its strongest.|
|3||"The Contract"||October 1, 2017|
|Abram finds the mysterious obelisk which will allow the humans to communicate with the ones who brought them back if they can first learn how to use the ten virtues shown. We learn of the past relationship between Feena and Duncan as Feena continues to repair Red Drone. Ezra accompanies Yellow Drone to find a weapon that will destroy the skin riders, but Ezra doesn't want to use it as he is afraid it will cost his brother his life. Silas has Duncan and Jax fight to see if the human brain can overpower the skin rider symbiotic relationship.|
|4||"Reunion"||October 1, 2017|
|The obelisk decides to bring more people back. It sends Feena and Red Drone to the lake to recover the first of the new resurrections- Lynn. However the group gets cornered by the skin riders. Feena is able to escape, and Lynn is saved by a young girl who can't speak who appears to be an enemy to the skin riders. Red Drone is captured by the skin riders. The young girl leads Lynn towards the compound. Meanwhile, in the flashbacks we see Lynn was previously a nurse, and one of the patients she previously treated and saved during the invasion was none other than Jax.|
|5||"Broken"||October 1, 2017|
|After being captured by the skin riders, Lynn is given a choice by Silas- join freely, join forcibly, or die again. Meanwhile, Abram learns the hard truth about his past, Feena and Ezra set out on a rescue mission for Lynn, and Duncan and Jax are instructed to repair Red Drone so the skin riders can use the drone to suppress the human memory. However Jax turns on Duncan leaving him tied up in the winter and bringing him face-to-face with Ezra, who is unsure of whether or not to trust him.|
|6||"True or False"||October 1, 2017|
|Duncan joins Feena in a rescue mission to save Lynn and Ezra from the skin riders. If he is successful and can keep his skin rider under control, the obelisk may show a way to set them free. Meanwhile, Jax seeks the knowledge on repairing Red Drone and suppressing the human mind. During his mission the real reason for the invasion 400 years earlier is revealed. The flashback focuses on the relationship between Duncan and Feena.|
|7||"Of Two Minds"||October 1, 2017|
|Lynn realizes the skin riders may infest more than just the neck on an individual. When Yellow Drone recovers Lynn has her perform a scan on Duncan that will confirm if a skin rider possesses the entire immune system or if there is a way to safely remove them. Meanwhile, Ezra learns that the woman who knew of a possible invasion in advance is his mother Eleanor. Jax also rebels and decides to make Silas the first test subject when it comes to suppressing the human mind. The flashback focuses on Lynn and Ezra trying to rescue their daughter.|
|8||"Death Did Us Part"||October 1, 2017|
|Red Drone frees Silas from the mind control of the skin riders, but it comes with excruciating pain. If he can get him back to the sanctuary, then Silas can help them take out the skin riders surrogate crystals. Duncan realizes Red Drone has tricked them and decides to pursue. Lynn and Ezra find the human survivors base, but Jax is in pursuit and wants to take them out at all costs. Hidden amongst the survivors is their daughter Kylie, but will Kylie be willing to accept parents that don't remember anything past her turning six? And will Ezra and Lynn be willing to accept her when they learn she's engaged? And what happens when Abram learns he may have been responsible for the virus that eliminated so many?|
|9||"Wounds"||November 19, 2017|
|10||"The Ancestor"||November 19, 2017|
Post Apocalyptic Media's Derek Dwilson called season 1's finale "impressive" and said "Extinct deserves to be renewed." Paste Magazine says the first season is "worth paying attention to," despite spurning BYUtv's claims that the show is family friendly. Abby White says "the show features mass grave sites, killer viruses and highly aggressive bad guys who want the heroes dead. It’s not necessarily for the faint of heart, and yet the way it’s shot, edited and written makes it quite arguably a lot tamer than most sci-fi TV."
Deseret News received the pilot positively writing "this pilot...making for uneven pacing at times, but intriguing backstories and a suspenseful ending leave many questions that will most likely be explored in future episodes, creating a thought provoking sci-fi show."
- Roshanian, Arya (September 13, 2016). "BYUtv Greenlights Network's Second Scripted Series, 'Extinct'". Variety. Retrieved December 13, 2016.
- Kari Kenner. "BYUtv delves into uncharted territory with new sci-fi series 'Extinct'". Daily Herald (Utah).
- Scribner, Herb (January 5, 2018). "BYUtv's sci-fi series 'Extinct' won't be renewed for a second season". DeseretNews.com. Retrieved January 26, 2018.
- "Extinct TV Show on BYUtv: Cancelled, No Season Two - canceled TV shows - TV Series Finale". canceled TV shows - TV Series Finale. January 6, 2018. Retrieved January 26, 2018.
- "BYUtv Announces Extinct, New Scripted Sci-Fi Series Coming 2017". byutv.org.
- Clark, Ander (September 13, 2016). "Orson Scott Card's New Sci-Fi Series Extinct Picked Up For 10 Episodes". SciFiAddicts.com. Retrieved December 13, 2016.
- "How to Watch Extinct". BYUtv. September 25, 2017. Retrieved September 25, 2017.
- "Extinct Season 2: Is the TV Series Returning?". Post Apocalyptic Media. November 22, 2017. Retrieved December 26, 2017.
- "BYUtv's Extinct Offers a Unique Lesson in Modern Television-Making". pastemagazine.com. Retrieved December 26, 2017.