Chester County Library at Exton
|• Total||3.2 sq mi (8 km2)|
|• Land||3.2 sq mi (8 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||312 ft (95 m)|
|Time zone||UTC−5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4 (EDT)|
|Area code(s)||610 and 484|
Exton is a census-designated place (CDP) in West Whiteland Township, Chester County, Pennsylvania, United States. Its population was 4.9k at the 2010 census. The Exton Square Mall and Main Street at Exton are both located within Exton along with several other shopping centers, making Exton the major shopping district in Chester County.
Exton lies at the intersection of U.S. Route 30 (formerly the Lancaster Road, and later the Lincoln Highway) and Pennsylvania Route 100 (Pottstown Pike). Beginning in the late 18th century, the Lancaster Road became a major transportation route between Philadelphia and the west, while what is now Route 100 was a regional north-south route to Pottstown. A theory exists that Exton was named as the "X" on the map, denoting this intersection, though more likely the village was named after one of the several Extons in the United Kingdom.
In the late 1940s, Exton became home to the Newcomen Society of the United States. The campus of the learned society was built overlooking farmland on Newcomen Road, and featured offices, a printing shop, library and museum, guest houses, a chapel and a belltower with a carillon. The Newcomen Society (since dissolved) sold the property in the late 1990s, but its campus remains an Exton landmark serving as the headquarters of another business.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 3.2 square miles (8.3 km2), all of it land.
|Climate data for Exton, Pennsylvania|
|Average high °C (°F)||4
|Average low °C (°F)||9
|Average precipitation mm (inches)||91
As of the census of 2000, there were 4,267 people, 2,053 households, and 1,096 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 1,341.6 people per square mile (518.1/km2). There were 2,128 housing units at an average density of 669.1/sq mi (258.4/km2). The racial makeup of the CDP was 88.07% White, 4.05% African American, 0.14% Native American, 6.05% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.54% from other races, and 1.12% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.87% of the population.
There were 2,053 households, out of which 20.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 45.4% were married couples living together, 5.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 46.6% were non-families. Of all households 37.5% were made up of individuals, and 7.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.05 and the average family size was 2.75.
In the CDP, the population was spread out, with 17.9% under the age of 18, 5.9% from 18 to 24, 43.3% from 25 to 44, 20.6% from 45 to 64, and 12.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females, there were 92.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 90.8 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $68,240, and the median income for a family was $81,499. Males had a median income of $65,789 versus $42,778 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $38,589. About 1.5% of families and 2.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 1.1% of those under age 18 and 10.1% of those age 65 or over.
Exton currently has an unemployment rate of 3.80% with a job growth rate of 1.44%. The future job growth is predicted to be 39.10% over the next ten years. The opening of the Exton Square Mall led to rapid growth in West Whiteland Township, with the population increasing from 7,900 in 1973 to over 16,000 by 2000. Since the opening, many shopping centers and office parks have been built in the township. Following the opening of the mall, the West Whiteland Township Police Department was created to patrol the township as the demand from the mall would be too much for the Pennsylvania State Police to handle. When the Exton Square Mall first opened, several stores in downtown West Chester closed. In 2011, the Exton Square Mall saw sales per square foot of $332.
West Pharmaceutical Services, a designer and manufacturer of injectable pharmaceutical packaging and delivery systems is based in Exton.
Arts and culture
The Exton Library, the main library of the Chester County Library System is accessible from the mall. The building was dedicated to honor Congressman Paul Dague in 1971. In 1982, the library in Exton received a National Association of Counties Award for its Library Literacy Program, the first in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania handling 30,000 illiterates and 15,000 non-English speaking residents.
Primary and secondary schools
Half of the CDP is zoned to Exton Elementary, located in Exton, while the other half is zoned to Mary C. Howse Elementary School. Half of the CDP is zoned to Fugett Middle School and West Chester East High School, while the other half is zoned to Peirce Middle School and West Chester Henderson High School.
Other schools in the Exton area are the Catholic parish school Saints Philip and James of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Philadelphia, and the Church Farm School, which are near but not in the CDP.
Troy University has a learning site in Exton. Exton is home to the offices of 21st Century Cyber Charter School, a statewide cyber school that is known for being the only cyber school to make Pennsylvania's AYP (Adequate Yearly Progress) benchmark 5 years in a row.
Exton is generally well served by a network of highways. The location is at the confluence of U.S. Route 202, U.S. Route 30, and PA 100, connecting traffic from Philadelphia, Lancaster, and Wilmington.
The Exton Transportation Center is a SEPTA and Krapf bus transport bus terminal located on the eastern side of the Exton Square Mall. The station serves as a hub for transfers between SEPTA Routes 92 and 204 with service to the King of Prussia mall, Paoli and Eagleview, Krapf's Transit Route "A" to Downingtown and Coatesville, and TMACC Evening Link to Coatesville.
Rail service at Exton station is provided by Amtrak's Keystone Service and Pennsylvanian line, as well as SEPTA's Paoli/Thorndale Line. The station is located close to the former Whiteland station served by the former Pennsylvania Railroad.
In 2012, the Main Line Health at Exton Square opened a 32,000 square foot facility with radiology, physical rehabilitation, occupational health, and other lab services in the areas of cancer treatment, family health, and cardiology. According to the mall directory, the facility occupies the first floor of the complex situated between Macy's and Boscov's. The design of the facility is similar to buildings where physician practices are grouped together.
Exton Carnival 2014 at the Exton Square Mall
Northbound PA 100 past the interchange with U.S. Route 30
Exton Transportation Center located beneath the garage near the library
- "Coatesville, Pennsylvania Köppen Climate Classification (Weatherbase)". Weatherbase. Retrieved 10 April 2018.
- "Weatherbase.com". Weatherbase. 2013. Retrieved on October 24, 2013.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Exton, Pennsylvania".
- "The West Whiteland Township Police Department History". West Whiteland Township. Archived from the original on December 16, 2012. Retrieved March 12, 2012.
- Whyte, William H. and Paco Underhill (1988). City: Rediscovering the Center. Doubleday. p. 337. ISBN 9780812220742. Retrieved March 12, 2012.
- "Supplemental Financial and Operating Information". PREIT. December 31, 2011. Retrieved March 9, 2012.
- Chester County - Page 37. 2004. ISBN 9780738536613.
- Nauratil, Marcia J. (1985). Public Libraries and Nontraditional Clienteles: The Politics of ... - Page 88. ISBN 9780313238192.
- "2010 CENSUS - CENSUS BLOCK MAP: Exton CDP, PA." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on October 9, 2018. "West Chester Area Council of Governments Map." On the website of West Goshen Township. Retrieved on September 26, 2018. This shows the boundaries of West Whiteland Township.
- "School Boundary Adjustment Draft SK8C - Current Boundaries with Zones of Change Archived 2018-09-26 at the Wayback Machine" (Elementary). West Chester Area School District. Retrieved on September 26, 2018.
- "School Boundary Adjustment Draft SK8C - Current Boundaries with Zones of Change Archived 2018-09-26 at the Wayback Machine" (Secondary). West Chester Area School District. Retrieved on September 26, 2018.
- "Transportation / Which School Will My Child Attend". www.dasd.org. Retrieved 2019-03-03.
- "Home". Saints Philip and James School. Retrieved 2020-05-03.
721 E. Lincoln Highway Exton, PA 19341- Compare the address to the Exton CDP map for confirmation.
- 21st Century Cyber School | PSSA Scores Archived 2011-07-24 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved 2010-04-22.
- "Rail Stations and Transportation Centers".
- "Main Line Health Center at Exton Square".
- "Exton Square Mall".
- "New Main Line Health Center at Exton Square opens".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Exton, Pennsylvania.|
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Exton.|