ExtraTorrent logo, as of November 2016
Type of site
|Part of a series on|
|Video sharing sites|
|File sharing networks|
|Anonymous file sharing|
|Development and societal aspects|
|By country or region|
ExtraTorrent (commonly abbreviated ET) was an online index of digital content of entertainment media and software, until it shuts down, it was among top 5 torrenting networks of world, where visitors could search, download and contribute magnet links and torrent files, which facilitate peer-to-peer file sharing among users of the BitTorrent.
As of November 2016[update], ExtraTorrent became the world's second-largest torrent site, after The Pirate Bay. The website ExtraTorrent.cc was shut down voluntarily by its owners on 17 May 2017. After its closure, ExtraTorrent clones have been appearing online, none of which are affiliated with the original website. Every clone claims to be the new original one. According to the ExtraTorrent IRC Channel (!et) the only clone run by former moderators is extratorrent.cd even though it has been reported this website is a 'scam' and simply a 'clone' of the pirate bay with absolutely nothing to do with the original website.
In November 2015, the website lost three domain names used for mirrors but quickly replaced them with newer ones. It was unclear if legal action had been taken or the "hijacking" was performed through some alternative method. In March 2017, the main domain name was shut down by its registrar. But still these sites are available via Extratorrent mirror sites.
- "ExtraTorrent Loses Three Mirror Domain Names - TorrentFreak". TorrentFreak. 2016-11-09. Retrieved November 12, 2016.
- "ExtraTorrent". www.facebook.com.
- "'Resurrected' Extratorrent Site Turns Out to Be a Scam..." 25 May 2017.
- Pineda, Erik (2016-11-10). "ExtraTorrent.cc Going Offline Soon Like Kickass Torrents (KAT), Torrentz.eu? Top Torrenting Alternative Sets Up New Domains as Backup Mirrors". Yibada. Retrieved 2016-11-12.
- "ExtraTorrent mirror sites". 10bestgame.