|Extra EA-500 at ILA 2006|
|Role||Six-seat utility aircraft|
|First flight||26 April 2002|
|Developed from||Extra EA-400|
Design and development
Started by Walter Extra, the company has been manufacturing aerobatic airplanes almost exclusively with their latest products being the Extra EA-300 series. The company introduced the Extra EA-400 in 2001. This was a cross-country airplane with many exclusive features including carbon fiber construction, pressurized cabin, high strutless wing, and seating for six.
The EA-500 was introduced as an alternative version of the EA-400 with the piston engine replaced by a Rolls-Royce Model 250-B17F/2 turboprop yielding 450 horsepower (340 kW), weighing 205 pounds (93 kg), and driving a 5 bladed propeller. This engine is widely used in small helicopters and was designed to have good fuel efficiency at lower altitudes. The maximum cruise speed is 225kts at 12000 feet. The most recent changes to the aircraft come from Avidyne with their latest glass avionics, Entegra R9.
The company was planning to produce the EA-500 for the United States market, and was investigating plans to assemble the aircraft in the US.
In 2014 the company sold the design rights to the EA400 and 500 to the Chinese company Jiangsu A-Star Industry Co., Ltd. Extra embarked on training the engineers from Jiangsu A-Star while still retaining the type certificate and providing parts to support to the existing fleet.
Specifications (Extra EA-500)
- Crew: 1
- Capacity: 5 passengers or 730 kg (1,609 lb) payload
- Length: 10.1 m (33 ft 2 in)
- Wingspan: 11.7 m (38 ft 5 in)
- Height: 3.4 m (11 ft 2 in)
- Empty weight: 1,420 kg (3,131 lb)
- Gross weight: 2,000 kg (4,409 lb)
- Max takeoff weight: 2,130 kg (4,696 lb)
- Powerplant: 1 × Rolls-Royce Model 250-B17F/2 turboprop, 340 kW (450 shp)
- Maximum speed: 435 km/h; 270 mph (235 kn)
- Cruise speed: 419 km/h; 260 mph (226 kn) KTAS at mid weight, 90% power, 3,658 m (12,001 ft)
- Stall speed: 107 km/h; 67 mph (58 kn) KTAS
- Never exceed speed: 383 km/h; 238 mph (207 kn) KIAS
- Range: 2,963 km (1,841 mi; 1,600 nmi)
- Endurance: 4.9hr full payload, 8hr in ferry configuration.
- Service ceiling: 7,620 m (25,000 ft)
- Rate of climb: 6.78 m/s (1,335 ft/min) at MTOW-ISA
- Related development
- "Startseite - SST Flugtechnik". www.sst-flugtechnik.com. Retrieved 2017-04-26.
- Tacke, Willi; Marino Boric; et al: World Directory of Light Aviation 2015-16, page 153. Flying Pages Europe SARL, 2015. ISSN 1368-485X
- International Aircraft Directory, 3rd edition (ISBN 978-1-56027-590-9)
- EASA Type Certificate for EA 400 and EA 400-500
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Extra 500.|