U.S theatrical release poster
|Revised Romanization||Geukan Jigeop|
|Directed by||Lee Byeong-heon|
|Written by||Bae Se-young|
|Music by||Kim Tae-seong|
|Distributed by||CJ Entertainment|
|Box office||US$114.2 million|
Extreme Job (Hangul: 극한직업) is a 2019 South Korean action comedy film directed by Lee Byeong-heon, starring Ryu Seung-ryong, Lee Hanee, Jin Seon-kyu, Lee Dong-hwi and Gong Myung. The film was released on January 23, 2019.
The film has become a major box office success in South Korea, grossing ₩91.5 billion (US$81.6 million) on a production budget of ₩6.5 billion (US$5.8 million) and surpassing 10 million ticket sales in just 15 days.
- A determined but poorly performing cop. He is a dedicated worker who invests his retirement fund into the fried chicken business.
- An unreliable cop
- The team's determined goal-setter
- Jin Seon-kyu as Detective Ma
- The key figure behind the success of the fried chicken restaurant. He uses his parents' recipe for exquisite taste.
- The enthusiastic, youngest team member and cheerleader
- Shin Ha-kyun as Lee Moo-bae
- Oh Jung-se as Ted Chang
- Kim Eui-sung as Police Superintendent
- Song Young-kyu as Detective Squad Chief Choi
- Heo Joon-suk as General Manager Jung
- Kim Ji-young as Chief Go's wife
- Kim Jong-soo as Chicken Restaurant Owner
- Yang Hyun-min as Hong Sang-pil
By the second day since the release the film topped the box office by selling 720,000 tickets.
On January 25, 2019, just after three days since release, Extreme Job surpassed 1 million viewers. It set a record of exceeding 1 million views in the shortest period of time for a January comedy film in Korea. It also has tied the 2016 film Luck Key as the fastest comedy film to reach 1 million views.
Soon after, on January 26, 2019 the film reached a total of 2 million moviegoers and broke the record of fastest comedy film to hit the 2 million mark in just four days. The previous record holders Miracle in Cell No. 7 and Miss Granny took six days to achieve that.
The film continued becoming a box office hit as it reached the 3.1 million mark in five days at a faster rate than previous films that reached 10 million moviegoers such as Veteran and The Thieves which took six days to achieve 3 million milestone.. The film also broke the January daily ticket sales record previously held by Along with the Gods: The Two Worlds with 916,652 admissions on January 1, 2018.
After two weeks since its initial release on February 6, the film finally reached a grand domestic total of 10 million admissions, making it the 23rd film to pass the 10 million mark. It also become the second comedy film in six years to reach 10 million moviegoers after Miracle in Cell No. 7.
On February 10, just in 19 days Extreme Job became the highest grossing Korean comedy film of all time by reaching 12,835,396 moviegoers setting a new record. The previous record was held by Miracle in Cell No. 7 that drew a total of 12,811,206 moviegoers during its run.
According to statistics released by the Korean Film Council on February 18, Extreme Job has set a new record for second-most-watched film in Korea of all time, coming in at 14,536,378. It is now second place behind The Admiral: Roaring Currents which still reigns on top with 17.61 million moviegoers in total.
It is currently projected to gross around $100-120 million by the end of its theatrical run.
- "'극한직업', 이병헌 감독, 웃음+메시지+통쾌함까지...최고의 조합" (in Korean). Daily Hankooki. 18 January 2019.
- "'Extreme Job' takes over box office by storm". m.koreatimes.co.kr. 1 February 2019. Retrieved 1 February 2019.
- "Extreme Job (2019)". Korean Film Biz Zone.
- Kang Aa-young (18 December 2018). "Undercover cops at career crossroads". The Korea Times.
- "[인터뷰②]'극한직업' 류승룡 "오정세? 이름만 들어도 빵 터져, 엄청난 능력"" (in Korean). Asiae. 16 January 2019.
- "'Extreme Job' soars as most-viewed film ever over Lunar New Year holiday". Yonhap News Agency. 7 February 2019.
- Park Jung-sun (22 January 2019). "'극한직업', 463마리 치킨이 완성한 웃음" (in Korean). JTBC News.
- Park Jin-hai (20 January 2019). "Comedy films dominate box office again". The Korea Times.
- "류승룡·이하늬·진선규·이동휘·공명, '극한직업' 마약반 캐스팅(공식)" (in Korean). Herald Pop. 14 March 2018.
- "Ryu Seung-ryong finds his team: The actor shines in 'Extreme Job' with help of all-star cast". Korea JoongAng Daily. 19 January 2019.
- Kim So-yeon (22 January 2019). "공명 "'극한직업' 제 인생 터닝포인트" (인터뷰)" (in Korean). Hangkyung News.
- Kim Ji-hye (7 January 2019). "'극한직업' 신하균X오정세, 신개념 악당 변신…벌써 재밌네" (in Korean). SBS News. Retrieved 2019-01-22.
- "'극한직업' 신하균X오정세, 구타유발 악당콤비..파격 변신" (in Korean). Sportal Korea. 7 January 2019. Retrieved 2019-01-22.
- Dong Sun-hwa (25 January 2019). "'Extreme Job' tops box office in just two days [VIDEO]". The Korea Times.
- Park Jin-youngl (25 January 2019). "'극한직업', 개봉 3일만 100만 돌파..역대 코미디 영화 최단 기록 [공식입장]". OSEN (in Korean).
- Kim Soo-jungl (26 January 2019). "'극한직업' 4일만에 200만 돌파..'7번방의 선물'보다 빠르다[공식]". TV Report (in Korean).
- Lee Do-yeon (27 January 2019). "'극한직업' 개봉 5일만에 300만 돌파". Yonhap News Agency (in Korean).
- Kang Aa-young (28 January 2019). "'Extreme Job' attracts over 3 mil., renews daily ticket sales records". The Korea Times.
- ""설 연휴 천만돌파!"…'극한직업', 역대 18번째 천만영화 기록[공식]language=ko". My Daily. 6 February 2019.
- "Korean comedy 'Extreme Job' tops 10 million admissions". The Korea Times. 6 February 2019.
- Lee Min-ki (11 February 2019). "'극한직업' 1283만 관객 돌파, 역대 코미디 영화 1위 등극[박스오피스]". Newsen (in Korean).
- Kim Nae-yeon (17 February 2019). "'극한직업' 1400만 돌파…"역대 2위 눈앞에"". News Kmib (in Korean).
- Bae Hyo=joo (18 February 2019). "'신과함께' 넘은 '극한직업' 앞엔 '명량' 뿐..1453만 돌파[박스오피스]". Newsen (in Korean).