Extreme points of the Antarctic
||It has been suggested that this article be merged with List of countries by southernmost point. (Discuss) Proposed since June 2016.|
This is a list of the extreme points of the Antarctic, the points of Antarctic and subantarctic lands that are farther to the south than any other location classified by continent and country. Geographical position and distance to the South Pole.
See Extreme points of Antarctica for details of the continent itself.
The Southern Ocean comprises the southernmost waters of the world's three transequatorial oceans, north from 60° S latitude. The northern boundary, defined by the northern limit of icebergs is not precise, but lies between 40° and 50° S latitude.
- Bishop and Clerk Islets, Macquarie Island, South Pacific Ocean at , 3900 km. The southernmost point on land on the Eastern hemisphere outside Antarctica, including the Pacific Ocean. Also the southernmost possession of Australia.
- Heard Island, Heard Island and McDonald Islands, South Indian Ocean at , 4116 km. The southernmost point on land in the Indian Ocean.
- France: Islet south of Kerguelen Islands, South Indian Ocean at , 4459 km. The southernmost possession of France.
- New Zealand: Islet 50 meters south of Jacquemart Island, Campbell Islands, South Pacific Ocean at , 4170 km. The southernmost possession of New Zealand.
- Norway: Bouvet Island, South Atlantic Ocean at , 3968 km. The southernmost possession of Norway, except for Peter I Island that lies within the area defined by the Antarctic Treaty.
- South Africa: Marion Island, Prince Edward Islands, Indian Ocean at , 4804 km. The southernmost possession of an African country.
- United Kingdom: Thule Island, South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands, South Atlantic Ocean at , 3400 km. The southernmost point on land outside Antarctica, including the Atlantic Ocean. Also the southernmost possession of United Kingdom.
- All lands: Cabo San Pío, Isla Grande de Tierra del Fuego, Tierra del Fuego Province at , 3904 km.
- Mainland: Punta Dúngeness, Santa Cruz Province at , 4194 km.
- All lands: Águila Islet, Diego Ramírez Islands, Antártica Chilena Province at . The southernmost point of continental South America, 3734 km.
- South America proper: Cape Horn, Isla Hornos, Hermite Islands, Antártica Chilena Province at , 3795 km. Generally considered the southernmost point of South America.
- Mainland: Cape Froward, Brunswick Peninsula, Magallanes Province at , 4028 km. The southernmost point on any mainland continent outside Antarctica.
- South Africa: Cape Agulhas, Western Cape Province at , 6146 km. The southernmost point of continental Africa, but actually closer to the Equator (3856 km).
- Australia proper: Needle Rocks, Maatsuyker Islands, Tasmania at , 5165 km.
- Mainland: South Point, Wilsons Promontory, Victoria at , 5668 km. The southernmost point on a mainland continent on the Eastern hemisphere, outside Antarctica, but actually closer to the Equator (4334 km).
- New Zealand proper: Murphy Island, Stewart Island, South Island , 4762 km.
- Mainland: Slope Point, South Island at , 4831 km.