This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (September 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Eye Magazine, No 97, Autumn 2018
|Editor||John L. Walters|
|Company||Eye Magazine Ltd.|
|Based in||London, England|
First published in London in 1990, Eye was founded by Rick Poynor, a prolific writer on graphic design and visual communication. Poynor edited the first twenty-four issues (1990-1997). Max Bruinsma was the second editor, editing issues 25–32 (1997–1999), before its current editor John L. Walters took over in 1999. Stephen Coates was art director for issues 1-26, Nick Bell was art director from issues 27–57, and Simon Esterson has been art director since issue 58.
Frequent contributors include Phil Baines, Steven Heller, Steve Hare, Richard Hollis, Robin Kinross, Jan Middendorp, J. Abbott Miller, John O’Reilly, Rick Poynor, Alice Twemlow, Kerry William Purcell, Steve Rigley, Adrian Shaughnessy, David Thompson, Christopher Wilson and many others.
Other contributors have included Nick Bell (creative director from issues 27-57), Gavin Bryars, Anne Burdick, Brendan Dawes, Simon Esterson (art director since issue 58), Malcolm Garrett, Anna Gerber, Jonathan Jones, Emily King, Ellen Lupton, Russell Mills, Quentin Newark, Tom Phillips, Robin Rimbaud, Stefan Sagmeister, Sue Steward, Erik Spiekermann, Teal Triggs, Val Williams and Judith Williamson.
- Press release from Haymarket, April 2008.
- Eye, Nos. 1–12, edited by Rick Poynor, Wordsearch Ltd, London, 1991–1994.
- Eye, Nos. 13–17, edited by Rick Poynor, Emap Architecture, London, 1994–1995.
- Eye, Nos. 18–24, edited by Rick Poynor, Emap Construct, London, 1995–1997.
- Eye, No. 25, edited by Max Bruinsma, Emap Construct, London, 1997.
- Eye, Nos. 26–32, edited by Max Bruinsma, Quantum Publishing, London, 1997–1999.
- Eye, Nos. 33–55, edited by John L. Walters, Quantum Publishing, London, 1999–2005.
- Eye, Nos. 56–66, edited by John L. Walters, Haymarket Brand Media, London, 2005–2008.
- Eye, Nos. 67–97, edited by John L. Walters, Eye Magazine Ltd., London, 2008–2018.