Eye in the Sky (album)
|Eye in the Sky|
|Studio album by|
|Studio||Abbey Road Studios, London|
|The Alan Parsons Project chronology|
Songs on this album are in a number of different styles, from cool and funky to lyrical and heavily orchestrated. The Hipgnosis-designed sleeve is green with an image of the Eye of Horus, which was gold-foil stamped for early pressings of the LP. It is variously reported as The Alan Parsons Project's best-selling album, and was the last platinum record in the United States from the band (joining I Robot and The Turn of a Friendly Card).
Eye in the Sky contains the Project's biggest hit, the title track with lead vocals by Eric Woolfson. The album itself was a major success, reaching the Top 10 (and sometimes the #1) in numerous countries.
This album is the first of three the Project recorded on analogue equipment and mixed directly to the digital master tape (a fact not widely known until the liner notes of Vulture Culture, where this trick was revealed).
The album features the instrumental piece "Sirius", which has become a staple of many big-time college and professional sporting arenas throughout North America. It is best known for its use by the Chicago Bulls to introduce its starting line-up (including Michael Jordan) during its championship years of the 1990s (and continued to the present). "Sirius" segues into "Eye in the Sky". The former is almost always followed by the latter on airplay, though not always in live performances — at the 1995 World Liberty Concert "Sirius" was played as the introduction to "Breakaway" (from the Alan Parsons solo album Try Anything Once), with Candy Dulfer on saxophone.
|2.||"Eye in the Sky"||Eric Woolfson||4:36|
|3.||"Children of the Moon"||David Paton||4:51|
|5.||"Silence and I"||Eric Woolfson||7:19|
|6.||"You're Gonna Get Your Fingers Burned"||Lenny Zakatek||4:22|
|9.||"Step by Step"||Lenny Zakatek||3:54|
|10.||"Old and Wise"||Colin Blunstone||4:55|
|2007 Remaster Bonus Tracks|
|12.||"Old and Wise"||Eric Woolfson||4:43|
|13.||"Any Other Day" (Woolfson) (studio demo)||Instrumental||1:42|
|14.||"Silence and I"||Eric Woolfson||7:33|
|15.||"The Naked Eye"||Instrumental||10:49|
|16.||"Eye Pieces" (Classical Naked Eye)||Instrumental||7:51|
- Chris Rainbow: main vocal (Track 4)
- Lenny Zakatek: main vocal (Tracks 6 & 9)
- Elmer Gantry: main vocal (Track 7)
- Eric Woolfson: keyboards, main vocal (Tracks 2 & 5)
- Colin Blunstone: main vocal (Track 10)
- The English Chorale: choir vocals
- Alan Parsons: keyboards, Fairlight programming, vocals
- David Paton: acoustic, electric & bass guitars, main vocal (Track 3)
- Ian Bairnson: acoustic & electric guitars
- Mel Collins: saxophone
- Stuart Elliott: drums, percussion
|1982||The Billboard 200||7|
|1982||UK Albums Chart||27|
Certifications and sales
|Canada (Music Canada)||2× Platinum||200,000^|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Silver||60,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||Platinum||1,000,000 ^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Allmusic review
- Eye in the Sky album review, RollingStone.com. Accessed July 11, 2016.
- RIAA Searchable database Archived 26 June 2007 at the Wayback Machine.
- Eye in the Sky at AustrianCharts.at. Accessed July 11, 2016.
- Cohen, Ben. "The One Record the Warriors Can’t Take From the Bulls: Even as Golden State closes on a historic 73rd win, Chicago’s pre-game music still sets the standard," Wall Street Journal (April 12, 2016).
- "Canadian album certifications – The Alan Parsons Project – Eye in the Sky". Music Canada. Retrieved 19 September 2018.
- "French album certifications – Alan Parsons – Eye in the sky" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (The Alan Parsons Project; 'Eye in the Sky')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie. Retrieved 19 September 2018.
- "Italian album certifications – The Alan Parsons Project – Eye in the Sky" (in Italian). Federazione Industria Musicale Italiana. Retrieved 18 June 2018.
- "Dutch album certifications – The Alan Parsons Project – Eye in the Sky" (in Dutch). Nederlandse Vereniging van Producenten en Importeurs van beeld- en geluidsdragers. Retrieved 10 September 2018. Enter Eye in the Sky in the "Artiest of titel" box.
- "Spanish album certifications – The Alan Parsons Project – Eye in the Sky" (PDF) (in Spanish). Productores de Música de España. Retrieved 10 September 2018. Select album under "Chart", enter 1982 in the field "Year". Select the certification week in the field "Semana". Click on "Search Charts".
- "British album certifications – The Alan Parsons Project – Eye in the Sky". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 19 September 2018. Select albums in the Format field. Select Silver in the Certification field. Type Eye in the Sky in the "Search BPI Awards" field and then press Enter.
- "American album certifications – APP – Eye in the sky". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH.